want to try coyote hunting....

joatmon

Reaction score
Hi Knobby,
I'll do my best to help you. I guess first you should scout and area to make sure there are coyotes about, look for paw prints, scat or visual sightings. The scat will have mostly hair and bones in it.You'll want to find and area that will give you good cover to hide in and good visibility so you can see the dog coming. When I find a good spot I build a blind out of brush in the area. Always keep the wind in mind. Chances are if they smell you, you won't see them. When you're at your stand move as little as possible movement is what they see best. As far as calls go mouth calls work well, I called in a songdog on my first attemt. Electronics are good but you have to remember you have to haul everything out to your stand and then back out and if you have luck you may have 1, 2 or three dogs to haul out too. Caliber hmm, I've been told that a 22wrm will kill a coyote out to 100yds. by a guy who's done it so yes you can use one. A shotgun is good, I use #2s in lead. With luck I'll be getting a 22-250 this coming year.
Hope I've helped you. I love predator hunting it's my favorite. Keep in touch let me know how you make out. I'm heading out now to try for one.
Bob

Advertisement

Top Bottom