Wanted: Beginner's Advice

skipnoid

Reaction score
I hunt ducks, deer and turkeys in New England. During Turkey season it's not uncommon for a coyote to set up on my deeks. I've had one as close as 6 yards. I'd like to take one with my 22LR (at less than 50 YDS). I'm thinking it would be cool to have a rug made.

Never having hunted for predators before, here's my dumb question: What do you do with them after you kill them? Just let them rot? I'd think in farm country you'd be doing the farmers a service; but up here in the NE woods they really don't bother anyone. The fact that they probably kill a lot of deer and turkeys may be justification enough though.

I guess I'm just wrestling with killing something just for fun (not that I've never done that before). I'm used to (and strongly beleive in) eating everything I shoot.

All feedback welcome.

Also, where would be the best place to hit him with a 22LR (HP's). I'm sure it's a marginal load at best. Backside of the head ... Spine??

Thanks!

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
Skipnoid,

Just my opinion but if you're wrestling with the idea of "killing for fun", I would use a larger caliber (22.250, 243 etc...) just to be sure to get a clean kill. I have killed many coyotes with a 22lr but usually not with one shot. I think that a clean kill may ease your conscience. On the other hand you can skin the coyote and make a nice rug if you shoot it around December.

If you shoot lots of turkeys and deer, the kill is justified in the name of conservation (works for me).

steve

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
P.S.,

Welcome to Jesses Hunting Page.  I'm no expert but there are plenty here.
steve

skipnoid

Reaction score
Thanks Steve,

We're on the same wavelength. I know I'd be better off with a real live varmint rifle, but I plan to kill "incidental" coyotes (i.e., while turkey hunting). Who knows, maybe I'll get hooked on that too. The only problem is that my damn job keeps cuting into my hunting time.

I got tapped in here recently from my buddy that sent me the link for the homebrew cameras. I built two last week and they work great. This is a great site for all kinds of hunting info.

Thanks for taking time to reply.

Skipnoid

songdog

Reaction score
There's no amount of BBQ sauce that can make a coyote palletable... trust me on this one.

The coats are good from about mid/late November thru late Feb early March.  There's plenty of stuff you can do with them.  

A .22 rimfire, even mag, is really too little for a coyote.  You'll kill them but you'll probably see more than 50% of them get away.  If you have to, and have the skill, I'll plug them right in the head.  There's little margin for error but if you miss, you're likely to miss entirely.  If you connect, he should be down for the count.  If you don't have a centerfire rifle, stick with the shotgun.  They're quite effective within 50 yards.

Good luck!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom