• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Wanting a 243 for my boy

FoCoHugh

JHO Team Member
I'm thinking about getting a .243 for my boy for Christmas. I have never had one, but heard that it is a good gun for youth deer, antelope, etc. Anyone have any insights to offer here?

Thanks in advance. I welcome the opinions.

jbcaptain11

great round my first was a 243 rem 700 i would go with a tikka t3 light stainless accurate weather resistant and lightweight

freezer

I don't care for a 243 for deer esp. if mule deer are available. I'd prefer a 6.5 caliber as in 260 Rem or 6.5X55. Though the 243 is light recoil it's kinda like a .410 shotgun, an experts gun. Shot placement is critical and the bullet weight is limited. 6.5 has a better BC, SD and better bullet weights.

Last edited:

myfriendis410

I was actually kind of impressed by the .243 after shooting some hogs with it. Using the Barnes it behaves like a much bigger gun. I would suggest the Weatherby Vanguard S2 and I believe it's available in a youth model too.

Bayboy2020

I have a real nice one I'm looking to sell, my brother started using it when he was 12. Great gun I've killed a couple pigs with it

eoats

How old is your son?

I just recently got myself a Mossberg 20ga combo (26" barrel with screw in chokes & a rifled barrel).
It appears to me, if I only had one gun this would be it.

I really enjoy my 30-06 Weatherby Vanguard (same thing as the Howa), so I would agree with that nomination in a .243.
My shoulder does get sore after 20 rounds of 30-06 & trying to find what ammo it shoots best.
Get the DBM, detachable box magazine, it makes it much easier to unload/clear the firearm in the field.

Its got me thinking a .243 might be better than the 30-30 I always lusted for (hmm BLR or even a BAR in a .243... oh, oops sorry time to wake up!).

inchr48

Can't deer hunt with them here in IN, but I killed a bunch of groundhogs with my buddy's 243 as a teenager. Good varmint gun, up to light deer. At 14 he probably could go to 308, or 7mm-08.

catchdog

my vote in cal for a 14 year old would be the 7mm08 . My wife that's 5 foot and 100 pounds shoots the 7mm08 just fine . It worked great in Africa even the tough blue wildebeest went down with one shot . My daughter did very well with it on hogs this year also . If your boy can handle the recoil of a 20 gauge he can handle a 7mm08 . That being said the .243 is a fine very light recoil rifle .

Goodranger

One of my 14yr old twins shot his first deer in November with a Savage youth model in .243. Distance was approx 175yds. Federal blue box 100gr. Large doe (137lb DRESSED). Complete penetration through the lungs. Lung tissue in the snow. Death run about 40 yds.

Seems to be a great youth caliber and a deer killer.

FoCoHugh

JHO Team Member
We got him the Savage synthetic stock .243, with the NIkon bullet Drop scope. Weighs 6 lbs. Very cool. He shoots it well. Looking forward to the upcoming deer season.

catchdog

Sounds like he is set . Now he just needs some range time . Lite recoil is great for a kid , less flinch factor means better shoots . And we all know shot placement is key . I also agree that with the Barnes bullets it will act like a bigger cal. We use the Barnes TSX in the 7mm08 and everything goes down fast .

Top Bottom