Warning From CCI on the 17M2

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
This warning was sent to Volquartsen's web site and came from CCI on converting 10/22 rifles over to the new 17M2.

Warning from CCI

"Important Safety Notice On The New
.17 Cal Mach 2"

This exciting new rimfire cartridge will undoubtedly inspire consumers to want to modify some of their existing .22 caliber rimfire semi-automatic rifles to accommodate it. To achieve the performance level that this cartridge offers and consumers have demanded, special blends of powders were used which cause semi-automatic firearms to cycle faster than with existing .22 caliber rimfire ammunition. This difference requires special bolt designs to maintain a safe shooting condition. Reputable firearms manufacturers that follow specifications set forth by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute have designed their Mach 2 firearms with special care being given to this requirement.

Consumers desiring to modify existing semi-automatic firearms with after-market components are strongly cautioned that modification must be made to the bolts as well as the barrel. Modifications should only be made by competent gunsmiths properly trained in the modifications required.

In response to this, the following warning appears on each box of ammunition supplied by CCI:

'WARNING; To avoid serious injury use this ammunition only in firearms that have a barrel/chamber with standard SAAMI sporting dimensions for this Mach 2 .17 caliber cartridge AND a bolt specifically designed for this Mach 2 .17 caliber cartridge."""

MEnglish

Reaction score
I also see on RFC that Jarvis is recalling the 10-22 barrels chambered in .17M2. Says they are causing some problems and that he won't be chambering anymore barrels for it. Said he would be probably be chambering the .17Aguilla...hmmmmm.

Mike

AMMOe

Reaction score
Mike, Could you post the link to that notice?? Thanks. ~AMMOe

AMMOe

Reaction score
Thanks WBH. I always feel a little regret when a manufacturer recalls a product that they believed in. For some outfits it's a devastating setback, financially. Any loss in the firearms inductry is -in some part- a loss to all of us. ~AMMOe

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
I feel the same way as I know he is going to be out some $$$$$ with this recall but it's better to be safe then sorry.

WBH

MEnglish

Reaction score
Thanks WBH. I agree with you Ammoe. I hate to see anybody in the firearms industry get any kind of a setback.

Mike

AMMOe

Reaction score
I got a call from a dealer buddy of mine in Vegas this morning. Hornady sent out a press release saying that the 17M2 is not to be fired in any barrel fitted to a standard 10/22. Bad news confirmed. ( and hence, the recall from Jarvis)

I got an email from another guy this morning that stated Aguila must be "glad" that the M2 dumped in the semi autos. I replied that I'm guessing Aguila would rather see a long line of funtional M2's consuming 17 Aguila ammo than not. Considering the 17 Aguila's fine performance in the M2 chamber, it would seem to me that Aguila would think "the more the merrier" when it comes to the 17M2 chambering. ~AMMOe

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
Rick from GM posted on RFC that he will not be making barrels for the 10/22 in 17M2. I think you will start to see a lot of barrel makers doing the same thing.

WBH

AMMOe

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up. I hope GM offers more configurations than just the STNLS fluted short barrel. I'd like to see 20 - 22" blued without flutes. That would be cool. ~AMMOe

MarinePMI

Reaction score
AMMOe,

All right, all right!!! I'll remember to bring that 20" blued bull bbl along!

Sheesh! Some guys are never happy!!!

Sorry AMMOe, could resist the dig...

MEnglish

Reaction score
WBH, man I went to that link all excited but the Aguilla link on their site is not functioning. I'd sure like a .17Aguilla sporter weight barrel for my 10-22.

Mike

OOPS found it. The site said they are unavailable at this time.

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
That was for the SSS barrels that the 60grain stuff. Gm made them for some time for the 10/22 but stopped didn't shoot that good.

Keep looking down under the GM barrels

GR 901672. . . .Fluted Sporter .17 Caliber. .(factory channel) . . .
. . . . . . 16.5". . . . . Blue . . . . .$121.95
GR 901672-C. .Fluted Sporter .17 Caliber. .(factory channel) . . . . . . . . . 16.5"
. . . . . Blue. . . .with Warner Guns Porting . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $154.95

WBH

MEnglish

Reaction score
WBH, found it. I just wasn't looking in the right place.

THANKS!!!

Mike

littleman

Reaction score
hello

hate to ask dumb question - newbie question: whats the big deal with the 17m2 ?? how is it different from the 22lr ?? can you notice the difference ?? more kick, much louder, more accurate ???

thanks

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
The 17HM2 is a 22lr stinger case necked down to 17caliber loaded with the same 17grain bullet as the 17HMR. It has a published velocity of 2100FPS but at this point is not out on the market.
WBH

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
I found out that it will take about 700 grains of added weight to the bolt of a 10/22 to make it work safely.
WBH

Latest Posts

Top Bottom