Was it a lion?

QALHNTR

Reaction score
Went walking with the pup in the hills of Brea on Sunday morning.  I was following some deer tracks when I came across what I believe to be a set of mountain lion prints.  It had four distinctive "toe" prints with a "heel" print just behind.  It measured 4.75"  X  5".  I've seen several bobcats up there, but they never left any prints to examine.  Any  ideas?

(Edited by QALHNTR at 10:46 am on June 10, 2002)

QALHNTR

Reaction score
None that I could see.  There were about five more prints in the path, but they were less clear.  The toe prints sort of had a curve about them in relation to the heel.  The heel wasn't round - almost a little heart shape to it.

(Edited by QALHNTR at 11:13 am on June 10, 2002)

RIFLEMAN

Reaction score
songdog is right...definitely a lion.  Toes should only be seen in deep dust or snow.  Lion tracks are often described as flowers.  Your description sounds similiar.

(Edited by RIFLEMAN at 11:07 pm on June 10, 2002)

yotegetter

Reaction score
Definitely a lion. Stickman and I ran into some fresh ones after calling out in Carrizo.

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
QALHNTR,

Years ago I worked on the Shell lease off Site Dr.   We saw a couple of M-Lions up there and heard about many sightings from pumpers in the past. I use to know the guy who lived up the hill on the right side if the main road (Mike). We did some quail, coyote, deer and dove hunting that was unbelievable!  He has since moved away though.  Ask Marty about that guy, Mike. His whole family lived up there like a bunch of hillbillies.
Those hills are loaded w/ wildlife! It's a great place to practice calling.

sp

QALHNTR

Reaction score
<font face="Tahoma">Small world - my company used to work for Shell/Aera in it's heyday also.   Used to work with Denny and Larry for years.  We did a lot of pumps up there.  The elusive Marty has mentioned the hillbilly family.  Went up last night about 7:45 to look for more prints.  Some deer prints walked right through the lion prints.  Just below the reservoir on Site Drive we spotted a doe with a fawn.  Watched for about 10 minutes as they fed on the hillside.  You're right - LOTS of wildlife up there.  On the way out we flushed a covey of thirty plus quail about twenty yards from the end of Marty's street.</font>

Here's a pic of the doe.  The fawn is laying at her feet.

(Edited by QALHNTR at 8:09 am on June 12, 2002)

jrifenbark

Reaction score
After giving your description careful consideration, I have concluded that I have no idea of what Mountain Lion tracks look like.

-Jack

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Top Bottom