Was it one of us that got busted on Saturday

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
Saturday morning three of the rudest hunters I've ever run into were written a ticket for having 150 shells too many in the field while hunting Kern.

Was it one of us here at JHP?

Why does anyone need 150 extra shells?

Inquiring minds need to know!

D Sea

Reaction score
50 extra shells per person, unbelivable!  Did these "hunters" have a problem skybusting?  I've heard of guys getting cited for haveing a couple shells too many, maybe left one or two in a coat pocked from a previous trip or something, but 2 extra boxes, each.  Unbelievable.  

Jay

Reaction score
What was the fine?

I've heard it rumored at $25 for every shell over 25. That would put it at $1,250 per guy. Ouch! That's gotta hurt.

songdog

Reaction score
Why am I never around to see justice served?  Man, one of these days.

Is it like going over the limit for birds where they fine you per bird?  Fine per shell?  That could have been costly for these guys it sounds like.

Did they claim ignorance or knew better and had an attitude anyway?

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Kid how was the shooting at Kern?

I hope those SOB's get the book thrown at 'em. 50shells x $25/shell x 3 hunters =$3750

I think along with fines offenders should have to put in some volunteer time at the refuge.

hntndux

Reaction score
I made the mistake several years ago trying to take extra shells out.  It was a typhoon at SAC and decided it wouldn't hurt to put 5 extra T's in my pocket.  Guess what, that was my first and last time taking extra shells out.  Steve pinched me and my buddy (he had 8) out of Lot B and it cost us $135.  He said it depends on several factors, but $135 was the starting point.  With those guys, I'm sure they got the max being that many over.  I also made the mistake of trying to get out of it by throwing some names out, since I know several wardens.  My cousin is a Lt. Warden and it turns out Steve wasn't too keen on my cousin.  Within a week, all of my family and hunting buddies knew I got a ticket.  Needless to say I've learned my lesson.  Be straight and you never have to worry...

Jay

Reaction score
Steve Emmons is the manager at Modoc now. I haven't met the new federal warden at the Sac complex although I know he's a full time warden whereas Steve was not.

hntndux

Reaction score
I was referring to Steve Owens.  Owens is about as cagey as they get...  If you were referring to Owens, I didn't realize that he moved.  When did that happen?  I know Diane at Delevan told me there was a new one working the refuges.

tuledoghollywood

Reaction score
the new one is not one to mess with steve owens is still around time to time. the new one names is perry gribson.. mike is a nice guy if you walk a straight line  .... i dont know if any of you have seen steves dogs work but if you got anything hiden it wount be fore long last year he busted 3 guys for shooting a speck out of season it took him 2 hours to get there and still went out to the blind and found it hidden uner the tules 200 yards from the blind... back to the new guy hes trying to make a name for him self so watch out guys .....

bubba

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I've had two encounters with wardens this year...first was deer hunting on private property, he approached us with his hand on his gun and yelling at us to stop field dressing the deer we just shot, he yelled at us like if we were criminals.  He took our information and permission slip and didn't let us dress the deer for about 20 minutes.  It was a hot day (aug A zone), luckily the deer didn't go bad.  It ruined my first deer kill having to go through that.

The second guy was at Kesterson, he gave me attitude becasue I forgot one shell (only had 24), he thought I was hiding something and made me take off all my gear.  No hidden shells...

I don't mind these guys doing there job, but I do mind not being treated with respect especially since I am always careful to ensure I am being ethical and following all the rules...

Jay

Reaction score
I was talking about Steve Emmons. He used to do part time warden work. He's checked me at Delevan plus I've talked to him at the Sac Complex Hunters meeting a couple times.

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
The guys getting written a ticket for all of those shells really doesn't bug me but it's what these guys did to me and my partner later.  

The area we hunted at Kern has plenty of room and these guys felt it was their right to start throwing decoys out within 80 yds of our spread that we had been sitting on while they were getting written their citation,  the entire time they were throwing dekes out I had my maglite pointing right at them, they knew exactly where we were.  Along comes shooting time and ringneck swing off to my side and I take my shot and these guys start yelling every obsenity in the book at us, we just blew it off.  Later a sprig comes by and I miss it and they start yelling again.  By now I've had enough and politely explain to them, "When you set up that close to me you get what you get".  

Fortunately these guys had no idea on shooting Kern so it was very easy to pull ducks from them, oh well even the little refuges like Kern are sometimes victim to these types.

songdog

Reaction score
You can always tell someone who hasn't hunted Kern before as they set up that close to you.  I've tried the flashlights, talking loud, even making amorous comments to my hunting buddy loud enough for them to hear (fake of course, you'd understand if you saw him :wink-yellow, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  

Hunting with a canoe at least makes it easier to pick up and move if you find someone too close.  Still a pain though especially considering that area #2 is over a mile square on each side and they only hunt 26 guys in there.  There's plenty of room.

That's another thing - if you have a canoe you can head for the back corner of #2... or anywhere more than 300 yards form the parking lot and folks like this who rarely if ever have a boat won't be willing to walk more than a few hundred yards from the parking lot.

hntndux

Reaction score
Tuledoghollywood, that's the impression I got from her that he wasn't one to mess with.  I've never seen his dogs work, but was that speck taken from Blind 10 last year at Delevan by any chance?  Jay, I never met Emmons, is he a pretty fair guy?

I know what your talking about Bubba.  The feds usually happen to be the rudest of them all.  I get a kick out of them when they're checking for shells.  It's almost like they've just stopped you at the border and are checking for drugs or something.  My best encounter was at Delevan on opening day a few years ago.  We stopped in to get a FC/FS number and needed to zip into Maxwell to get the ice that we forgot.  Twp wardens were leaving when we left, but one let us go by and dropped in behind us.  At the little bridge just before Four Mile road the one in front pinned us on the bridge and they surrounded my truck.  He said "he sure are driving awful fast".  I said "well I'm just following you" and then he asked how the hunting was.  I told him I didn't have a clue and that we just got there.  The warden on my dad's side of the truck kept his hand on his gun and got a nice earful from pop's.  After they verified that we weren't sneaking out of the refuge, their attitude changed.  It's guys like that that give wardens a bad name.  Just like bad hunters giving the rest of us a bad name I guess...

Jay

Reaction score
Couple years ago at Modoc, on the opener we had a federal warden wade out to our island to check us. Three of use were totally legal but one dork in our group of four forgot his plug (after being told to check three times, hence the "dork" title). After Mr Warden wrote up the ticket he made a crack to me about the extra shells I had hidden in the bushes. Of course they didn't exist but I felt his crack was out of line.

I think they're like most cops in that they get an "everybody's a bad guy" mentality from the nature of their work. I've only been stopped 6 times in 15 years so I do my best to cooperate.

The Modoc incident was the only time I've gotten any kind of flack from a warden and he did legitimately bust one guy in our group so he was fishing for more.    

Mike Riley

Banned
Reaction score
Steve Emmons is a very good guy.  He was hunter friendly and a straight shooter.  Sorry to see him leave, but a nice promotion for him.  He should be good for Modoc NWR.

huntducks

Reaction score
Some of you may not like this, but the 25 shell rule and only at Ca.refuges that I know of, is a sh!t law it is nothing but a inconvenience to hunters, I have told other hunters while hunting out of state and they laught and say only in Ca. would they come up with something like that.

I do beleive that better then 50% of all fish cops in Ca. are down right insulting & rude, but that goes hand in hand with the pay scale in this state, they do not get the sharpest knives in the drawer here, and the good ones move on to other states.

songdog

Reaction score
I don't like running out of shells when the truck is a half a mile away but I'm willing to put up with it because it does seem to keep folks from skybusting.  

Go down to Wister and hunt one of the areas like y16 on the edge of the sea on opening weekend.  You'll find a bunch of guys in boats just off the shore (where the 25 shell limit doesn't apply), shooting at birds 80-100 yards up with #4 lead buckshot.  They'll go through 100 shells each per morning but they still end up getting a few birds with the attitude of "if I throw enough shot up there, something has to fall".

I can count on one hand the number of times I've run out of shells before I was done shooting by number of birds or legal shoot time.  Still doesn't mean I like the rule but...

I try and make extra sure (positive) that I don't have/do anything that a warden would have a problem with.  Right number of shells, right number of animals, plugs, tags, no tresspassing, etc. so if I had a warden give me grief without cause I'd probably be pretty bent out of shape.  My very few encounters with the wardens have always been very cordial though... to date.

Varmint Al

Reaction score
I am just getting back into duck hunting after a 30 year layoff. What the heck is going on? They count your shells now? What kind of gestapo is out there now? Maybe I better quit duck hunting before I start. I know you have to use steel shot and I had to buy a new barrel for my old Rem 1100 that will take steel. I live 100 yards from the field where I hunt. Do I have to dump all my shotgun shells and only have one box at home? What has happened to the state of the laws in CA. Are the regulators gone nuts? Are you considered guilty for just owning more than a certain amount of shells? That is "guilty before proven innocent". How did things get like this? Too many liberals in CA? Is PETA running the DF&G. By the way, I went through the 2001 Wiaterfowl Hunting regs booklet and couldn't find anything about the number of shells. Can someone give me the paragarph number. Way too much government!!! Maybe it is better in Nevada.

songdog

Reaction score
VarmintAl - I hear you.  The 25 shell limit only applies to the state refuges.  If you're lucky enough to hunt 100 yards from home you can take as many as you'd like.

Along those same lines - can anyone tell me why you can't buy Kangaroo skin products in CA (boots, gloves, etc.).  I've always assumed this was some wacko tree hugging PETA person that managed to get a law passed but I'd like to know for sure.

I had to buy my boots from Cabela's, ship them to a friend in ID and then have him ship them here.  Ironically, nothing illegal about that but you couldn't ship them directly to CA.

(Edited by songdog at 7:03 pm on Nov. 5, 2001)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom