Wasted film

JoelM

Reaction score
Have any ideas why the last 2 times I put my camera out I got pictures of nothing but trees????? I can't see anything in them. I have had it in 2 different locations.
It seems to work great in areas that are open. Then when I move into the woods I get tree pics????:mad-red:

FLBowhunter

Reaction score
The same thing happened to me once.  But then when I looked at my pictures in a sequence I noticed that it was a windy day with clouds moving across the sky.  One picture would be bright from the sun and the next would be real dark (a cloud blocking sun).  Almost the whole roll of film was like this.  I think the changing light affected the PIR.  Look at your pics for something like that.  I don't know for sure, just a thought.
-Scott-

TmKarren

Reaction score
Like FLBowhunter said.  I would think it is the wind, or the sun.  I had a whole roll of a nice sunny day.  If it's facing the way the sun travels it could be it.  Or some grass, or a branch the wind was moving.  I had another roll of a windy funnel.  nothing else on them I had both day and night pictures of nothing also..  ALL I KNOW IT'S A BIG BUMER..

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
ALSO COULD BE THE PIR ISN'T MASKED OFF WELL ENOUGH, AND THE CRITTER ISN'T IN FRONT OF THE SHUTTER YET WHEN THE SHOT IS TAKEN.

BUTCH

Gobbler

Reaction score
I have a roll of the most beautiful sunset you can imagine. As the sun moved it was enough to set off the PIR.  Now I am always sure to keep it out of line with the suns path.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
if you think the false alarms are bad now, wait till this summer  he he

Some (Richard Webb, esp) experimented with Furnace Thermostats to turn the cam's OFF when it was above 80º and had good results......

Brian's also been working with the Summer Time problem

Be Sure and Face Your Cam's NORTH to lesson the problem too

(of course, a week PIR battery will rip-off the whole roll of film too, in just a few minutes)

Tinhorn

Munce27520

Reaction score
That is strange. I had the same thing happen to me last week and didn't want to ask about it. I had a full 25 exposures of trees. I know I had the cam pointed north and I verified the PIR range and width in the back yard with my dogs running round. It was a windy, sunny day. As I looked at these pics closely I noticed a Pine branch that was a little different in every other pic. The only thing I can imagine is that this branch was blowing back and forth in the wind and setting off the PIR. When I set up the cam, I made sure that I had no vegitation that would cause this, or so I thought. Oddly enough also, the pics. were taken every three minutes which is what my delay is set at. So I re-deployed this cam to a new location and will see if the outcome is different this weekend.
> > > I thought that cedar trees where the only vegitation to watch out for as far as setting off the PIR. I guess anything can do it, even if it has no heat, but maybe the sun was reflecting.

(Edited by Munce27520 at 8:18 pm on April 11, 2002)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Munchy er ah, Munce,

I almost bet your PIR/Timer batteries are weak, causing the PIR to rip off the whole roll of film......

Tinhorn

WSHUNTER

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me on my first time I put out my new camera.  I have yet to put it back out and try it again but have tried it around the house and in the yard and it seems to work just fine.???  There are some more tips about this problem from when I posted the same question on the 3rd page of the forum under "first picture action".  Now that this is happening to other people I am wondering about the low battery setting off the relay.  can anyone explain what would be drawing down a brand new battery in a short peroid of time to cause this problem?  Also how can you control that the animal is directly in front of the camera when the pic is taken.  I was thinking that on my role of film maybe the animal was already bye the cam before it took the pics.                

Thanks WSHUNTER!!!     Keep the info rollin!

beaglman28

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen last week.  I replaced the PIR.  The box leaked water into the inside and the PIR was messed up.  It took 24 pics of the same thing.  Each pic was one minute and 7 seconds after the other.  After replacing the PIR the camera is now back in the woods with all the holes sealed.

woodsman

Reaction score
Talk about Wasted film I get 24 pics of coons and squirrels . :mad-fumin-red:

buckraker

Reaction score
Joel
I too have the same problem but I think mine is caused by birds landing or flying through the pir. I have seen some birds on limbs in my pics

Top Bottom