Water Filters

PowDuck

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a water filter system for hunting. I've used the purifying pills before but want to get a filter. Right now I'm looking at the new MSR UltaFlow and the Katadyn Hiker or Hiker Pro.

Did a search and found some info here but not a dedicated topic to this subject. Since I've never used a filter before I don't know a whole lot about them. I don't want to spend a ton of money and won't use it a lot, mostly in Colorado on elk trips and possibly on all day turkey trips in the Arkansas Ozarks.

Anyway, what do you guys that use them a lot use and why? Thanks in advance for the replies.

doccherry

Reaction score
I'd recommend the Steri-pen. It's a water purifier, the same thing now used by the military. It's the only system, as near as I can tell, that's been approved by the FDA for all types of water. Here in Hawaii, leptospirosis is a real problem and the filters can't remove the bacteria because it's so small. The Steri-pen works great. It only takes about a minute or so to purify a liter of water. You can get them for about 80 bucks on Ebay. They last forever and only require an AA battery.

PowDuck

Reaction score
doccherry, hadn't thought about the SteriPen

SF, that's the link I was looking for. (Note to self: improve search skills)

I figured it had been discussed before I just couldn't find it.
It's getting kind of difficult to decide. There are a lot of mixed reviews out there. On any given system there are those who absolutely love it, and those who can do nothing other than give it a good cussin'.

gc4279

Reaction score
I got my MSR Hyperflow filter from REI in the mail a couple weeks ago. I have not had it out for a real field test but I did try it out hear at the house. So far I really like it, it is super lite and pumps water like no other filter I have seen(fast). The only drawback is that it requires cleaning way to often. The directions recomend back flushing everyday after heavy use. It's easy to disassemble and reassemble without any tools but I still don't like the fact that I need to back fush so often. Time and use will tell if it is too much trouble. I just thought I'd give a heads up to anyone else thinking about buying one.
Gary C.

BackCountryHNTR

Reaction score
I use a MSR Sweetwater purification system and I'm VERY happy with it. It kills nearly everthing and what the filter can't handle the drops take care of it. Even viruses.

The only problem with steripen kind of purifiers is that they do not collect water from the source so you still have to put the water into a container somehow. This can get very tricky when the water source is small. Another disadvantage of the pen style of purifier is that it does not filter the water, so you need to have clear water to start...with a good filter, you can get drinkable water from a whallow!

Make sure you get a purifier not just a filter...

barel74

Reaction score
I also recently picked up the MSR Sweetwater. Have'nt field tested it yet, but it's light, and seems to be able to pick up water from a very shallow supply. This is very important to me. I've tried to get water from a trickling stream with a cup, and it can be a real chore

BackCountryHNTR

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (barel74 @ May 5 2008, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I also recently picked up the MSR Sweetwater. Have'nt field tested it yet, but it's light, and seems to be able to pick up water from a very shallow supply. This is very important to me. I've tried to get water from a trickling stream with a cup, and it can be a real chore
[/b]
This function alone pretty much save my bacon last year bowhunting in A north. I was able to get clear tasteless drinking water from like 1.5" of standing muddy/algae water...lesson learned, creeks and ponds showed in maps and aerial photos do not carry water year round, specially in +100 F wather...DUh! LOL

Hunt Crazy In Ca

Reaction score
Hey guys looking to pick one of these things up but have a question for you all, what is the difference between the sweetwater microfilter system and the sweetwater purification system??? thanks in advance

BackCountryHNTR

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hunt Crazy In Ca @ May 5 2008, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hey guys looking to pick one of these things up but have a question for you all, what is the difference between the sweetwater microfilter system and the sweetwater purification system??? thanks in advance[/b]
The purification system includes the "ViralStop Purifier Solution". It is a chlorine-based solution that effectively kill viruses.

If the water seems of drinkable quality I only use the filter, but if is dubious I not only filter it but also purify it, for additional protection.

barel74

Reaction score
Is that what the little bottle in the picture is? I guess I just got the filter.

barel74

Reaction score
thnx BC
Will it make the water taste funny, or stain my bladder?

BackCountryHNTR

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (barel74 @ May 6 2008, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
thnx BC
Will it make the water taste funny, or stain my bladder?[/b]
LOL Actually, if you put too many drops it does taste like "pool water" (Chlorine) LOL

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
One more vote for the MSR Sweetwater. Over the years I've used several different ones and the Sweetwater is by far the most user friendly... Ed F

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
I did way too much research last year and almost got the Sweetwater, of everything filter like it was tops.

But I decided to stay with the aqua pure pills. A good case of the backcountry trots really does the bowels good.

My wrestling coach used to give us girardia for weight loss in high school.

easymoney

Reaction score
I have used an older MSR filter for years and never had a problem... I use pills if in a pinch for weight or time, but the filters work great and last a long time...

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom