Water tight seals

Rossco

Reaction score
What does everyone use to waterproof an otherwise non waterproof encloser?  What has worked the best and what has not worked at all?  I was just curious for my first cam i am in the process of building.

Gator

Reaction score
An ammo box is already water tight except for the holes that are cut for the lens and flash. And I used gasket sealer on mine.

BlackWater

Reaction score
Different types of weather seal work great, but try to not to totally seal box, condensation will be worse,  I keep a couple of small weep holes in the bottom, it keeps inside condensation down to nothing, also I do put a small screen over the holes to keep out bugs from nesting inside.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
You know, I don't think I have ever seen condendation in my Cam Enclosures?  

My Pistol Cases have foam that completely fills the inside, I cut-out for the PIR, Cam, Batt, etc.  but the enclosure is all foam otherwise.  I wonder if this is like one of those Cold Cups around a beer can and stops condensation!  

Some buildings have "Anti-Sweat" pipe insulation on pipes that might drip on sensitive equipment, etc,   You may have even seen sweating pipes in your basement, especially if you have a well.  If this is a problem, insulate the pipe and no sweat.....

Hmmmmm!

Tinhorn

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Tinhorn,
My cams all have tight packed foam too... and now that you mention it I can only remember one time that the inside of one of my enclosures was all fogged up.  We had some extreme night to day temp variations that week so that probably caused it.
Maybe the foam reduces the amout of air inside the box and that helps reduce condensation too??

Archilochus

Latest Posts

Top Bottom