Water tightness?

Fisher

Reaction score
I have built a first camera (don't have the pics back yet) and I used an electrical box complete with a rubber seal.  I am planning on building another cam and am wonder exactly how tight of a seal in actually needed. Would a bluebird house work for a housng so long as I prevented rain from getting inside to the camera and components?  Thanks for the help.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Fisher,

I think your idea would be ok, my Uncle has been after me to build one in a blue bird house because he thinks it would be safer

For several years, I used a Marine 12v Battery Box as an enclosure, the lid just sets on there, with no problems, I don't see any diff between it and a bird house.

Be sure and show off your King Fisher House on here when it's done, we'd like to see it.

Tinhorn

hommer

Reaction score
I'd cover the shutter and flash openings with glass or you may have birds nesting on your camera. ha ha ha.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Hommer's right,

forgot about that, the birds did investigate a tube I had on "Old Ponderous" to narrow down the PIR width, they thought it was a hole worth poking in to

Tinhorn

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Tinhorn/everyone,

I thought the specs for the PIRs give a humidity level that should not be exceeded.  I have read before where you should not expose the electronics to the weather.  Moisture will eventually cause the PIR to fail.  Most of the outside motion sensors have a seal around them if they are to be used outside.  Just a thought.  They may work for quite a while as long as no significant moisture is allowed to get inside to the electronics.

I dried the one that got full of water out and it appears to work fine.  I may have trouble with it in the future but for now no problems.

Brian

Jimmy Jones

Reaction score
Here's what I did with my two units.  After installing them in pistol cases and sealing all the holes I made with glass, silicone, PIR lens etc. I could not find a way to seal the edges that were needed to open the unit.  So, I don't know if this has already been used, but I made a vinyl hair net looking piece to wrap around my unit when set. It wraps around the whole unit like a bed sheet.  I had bungy cord swewn(sp) around the edges of my vinyl and so far it has worked very well.

JJ

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Jimmy,

I like the head net idea, was worried about that in my pistol case enclosures too but I've not really had a problem with any after all (since Jan last year) but I'm thinking about leaving a cam out in Northern Mo. for a couple months and might make one of those for that one, since I can't check it every week or 2.....

Brian, you are right,
Electronic's hate Moisture, it causes corrosion, semi-short circuits, etc but I've only had trouble with Liquid Moisture, like rain, that occasionally get in an enclosure not properly sealed.  As long as the rain drained away, and not in the enclosure, no problems (at least for me)  I also have weap holes in the bottom of most of my enclosures, just in case.

Old Ponderous, the one with the Marine Batt Box, is close to 5 years old now and never failed due to moisture except one time.  The Cam Batt's lost contact once, probably due to corrosion, and I polished them with a pencil erasure and dabbed OxGuard on the terminals, no further problems.

Tinhorn

Latest Posts

Top Bottom