Waterfowl Season is over!

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
Our weekend started at the north end of the Salton Sea shooting along the shore friday afternoon for nothing so we were off to Wister for saturdays shoot.  

Whitey1, Wignsetter, KC jr. and myself were fortunate to go in on a #14 res card and our game plan was to go after ducks since the snow geese were a very slow.  We picked our blind about 6th and we were on our way.  We had a very slow morning with just a handful of birds but a our luck would have it things "picked to what we call in the fishing world as a steady pick".  The quality was pretty good, we did a poor job of being ready, we blew two chances at geese and for a few more sprigs.  We had some marginal shots at geese but passed hoping they would come in closer and at 3pm or so a small bunch got a little to close to Whitey1 and Wingsetter and they clipped on that flew a half mile circle landing next to another blind.  Fortunately for us the hunter in that blind was kind enough to finish off the bird and give it to us.  We got a few more ducks and at 5 pm a single got a little to close to me and down it came.  We ended up leaving with 15 ducks and 2 geese for the three of us.

So we're heading down the ditch bank on our way to camp and a big dinner when the blind above us starts hammering away at the snows coming into to roost, Wingsetter being very vocal starts yelling at them to stop but the shooting continues.  They actually sent us a cripple and Whitey1 sent his lab out to get and on the stringer it went.  

So off we go to claim the birds at the chech station and after their counted up we are followed over to the truck by the DFG warden. HMMMMM, someone had turned us in for being the late shooters, NICE.

We explained to the warden what had happened but I don't think he believed us especially since no one else in that are turned in geese.

We ended up with 15 ducks and 3 geese, here's the pic.

http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshot.html?id=11190

Chris

Reaction score
Kid, you and your crew ended the season with some fine days in the field.  Thanks for sharing the pictures and stories.  Wanted to stop by and say hello, but had to get going a little early.  I managed a couple teal and a gadwall and spent the day watching shovelers splash around in my dekes...gotta get a camera.  Seemed like everybody was after ducks.  When we're having a good goose season, half the guys are picking goose sites leaving some of the better duck areas open to sweat line guys.

Time to start planning for next season.

Spec

Reaction score
Well we closed off the season last Friday had 2 more shoot days but was sort of tired and started picking up decoys and cleaning up around the 4 man blind total for the season for the blind was 451 ducks and 36 geese ,150 or so  of those birds were mallards and about 120 Sprig the rest widgeon and teal and Gadwall ,all the geese were Specs except 1 honker 2 snows and 1 ross goose, Is it fishing season yet?

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
Chris,

Lack of communication between me and my boys saved a few geese this weekend, this was the first time this year that the birds worked the water blinds for us and we had no snow dekes in the water.  We got a few good res. cards, a few great invites and some good non res. draws which all plays an important role.  We played a hunch for saturdays hunting based on the numbers at the check station and it worked out.  I'm glad the season is over and like Spec said I'm tired

d trees

Reaction score
Well gang thanx to jeff aka Widgeon wacker I went down to yuma and had a blast friday hunted the widgeon honey hole and we took 13 widgys and one sad gad and saturday we went to try his diver hole and I got my first limit of red heads lots of fun .That wasnt the best part of the trip though it was hunting with jeff and the hospitality he and his familly showed me thanx again Jeff ,d  

huntducks

Reaction score
Hey Kid

Glad you had fun.

Man I made a long drive this weekend went to Mendota on Fri. two friends had reservations for Sat.
My son and I shot with them in the AM nothing to turn our barrels hot 4 ducks (all teal) and 2 geese for my son and I, and a total of 9 birds for all four of us, funny thing was we were walking out and I was way behind as usual when this flight of 20 or so geese came over me 25 yards up so it pays to be slow sometime.

We split up and they hunted out of lot 20 and we were going to leave, but as we drove past the closed zone we noticed birds moving over one of the HC sites so we parked and did some pass shooting, and we were able to scratch out 5 more ducks with 2 drake mallards 1 pin and 2 wedge heads and on the road by 3 and at some friends house in Yuba City for dinner, hot shower and a hour or so of putter time.

We headed to Grey Lodge had #29 for yesterday, the birds flew from the time we got out there until we left with 2 limits mostly Widgeon 7 with 2 pins 4 gads and 1 mallard, we could have shot 50 pins they came throught in there courtship flight time after time on the deck 20-30 yards out, on the way out Ginger picked up a crippled goose guess what, it was wearing jewerly.

Ginger said Hi, oh by the way my son got sick about 10am yestarday and slept all the way home LONG DRIVE, with lots of rest area stops.

WingSetter

Reaction score
I won't mention what pond we hunted other than it was some where in the T's.  Sorry guys Still a little HOT from this past weekend as we were accused for something we did not do.  Sorry, but we saw your truck (Business Logo, and blind location) and know who you are.   Hopefully your not from J.H.P. To the fellow Hunter who fasely accused us. Some thoughts to ponder as we just ended the Season.

1. If your going to accuse someone of shooting after hours please be 100% certain that  they are the ones doing the shooting.  Wister is a big place with lots of blinds.  It may have appeared that our pond was doing the shooting as it was the pond behind us.

2. Blind in same pond as us off to the right, WHY were you calling ducks with your mallard call if there was nothing flying in the air anywhere in the area. You gave us a headache. You blew that call 1/2 the day without a duck in flight, or anything working yours or someone else's decoys.

3. Same blind, why were you out in the open on the ditch bank with one hunter with a blue shirt on and the other hunter with black shirt .  If we could clearly see you what do you think the ducks, and geese could see. No Cammo, out in the open Humm, no wonder why you didn't shoot a duck.

4. Same blind don't accuse someone of wrong doing's because they are shooting all the birds and your not. No need to be jealous.  

Not trying to start a war here.  Just giving some feedback of what happened this past weekend, as it was clear who turned us in.

huntducks

Reaction score
Wingsetter

You have not learned they are dove hunters with waders, that's why I headed north I knew they would be out in force at the sea there last shootum up cheap shell weekend, that just drives me crazy to have to listen to some A$$ hole playing his duck call, but even worst is one playing a SG call all day.

Makes you want to walk over take it away throw it up and shoot it.

Wister truely brings out the best hunters in SoCal, that is why 10% of the guys shoot 90% of the birds down there.

What time did you really stop shooting (5:45) LOL.

What did the warden tell you guys? and who was it.

WingSetter

Reaction score
Huntducks,

Not sure, can't remember the Warden's name. I think Kid remembers who he was. He was polite and very professional.  Walked up to the truck and said I wanted you guys to know that someone filed a complaint that you were shooting geese after shoot time ended.  We plead or case and than left.  I think your right about the dove hunter with wader stuff. It was truly evident this past week. Pretty sad that it is like that down there at Wister.  Forgot to put in other post  that I give Profs to the guy in the blind way in front of us who chased down our crippled Goose and gave it back to us.  His only request was can I get a couple shells back that I used to shoot the crippled goose. In the honor of Sportsmenship  Hunting partner Whitey1 obliged without a problem and gave him a couple of shells (hevi-shot) to be exact.  Glad to see that there is still some sportsmen left.  

Cazador Suerte II

Reaction score
Hey Kid,

Where did you hunt in the north end of the sea.  Used to hunt there the last couple of years, but lately since they did all the road work the area seems a bit dry.

Triggerfinger

Reaction score
Wingsetter:

1. I like the way my duck and goose calls sound.  Please don't get personal.

2. I won't be driving the company truck with the logo on the side to Wister anymore.

3. Did it feel good to cut into those white birds after dark?

Later.

WingSetter

Reaction score
Ok, very funny Triggerfinger.  Get your notepad out now that the duck hunting season is over. It's time to give you another schooling on Seabass Fishing.  This years class will be titled "SEABASS 101".  Date and time to be determined.

Later

Top Bottom