Waterfowl Season

foulshot

Reaction score
Cazador, do you have a form letter you can post so anyone can just cut and paste?  Just a thought.  I'll write a letter and if it comes out nice enough I'll try to post it so anyone can copy and just add their name.

hunthog

Reaction score
Actually, we may need to suck it up this year to help provide better hunting opportunities in the future.  Breeding is down up north and in the valley, duck numbers are marginal, Pintail populations suck.  As much as I cring to say it, maybe we need a split or shortened season to bank for the future and wait for improvements in breeding opportunities for the birds.

Don't beat me please!!!

hunthog

D Sea

Reaction score
Hunthog,

I agree with everything you say except for the part about Pintail numers.  The way Pintails have been counted has not change over the past few decades, unfortunately, where the birds go to breed has.  They have moved from Praire Pot Hole Canada to Alaska and Russia.

As many on this board can attest, the Pintail poplulation is alive and well in the Pacific Flyway, unfortunately, due to old "science", we can't take advantage of it.

Megadeth

Reaction score
D Sea, you can sure travel the web. Great job. The old traditional areas that waterfowl would frequent are now gone. It sounds like USFWS is doing bird counts from Wal Marts parking lot. I agree with a moderate se3ason and ban the moto. Its a losing battle if we dont stand behind more brood ponds on all of our refuges and not just a few.

huntducks

Reaction score
I will second what D had to say on the Pins and will disagree with the duck numbers being down this year the local brood counts will remain steady, but the usual counting area's in the pot holes of Canada are down on mallards but the the birds are over flying them and heading farther north of the counting area's, it is why the Snow goose pop got out of whack because the USFWS had no clue on there breeding numbers for years because they nest in the AC.

You cannot bank wildlife like money or store like oil, Ca. needed to go along with the feds on there numbers one normal winter and you will see the ducks migrate just like they use to, my son live's in Alaska and the local Mallards never left last year until late Dec. and the honkers never left at all.

Because the flight did not transpire like USFWS predicted I see all these hunter and so called state wildlife people running around yelling the sky is falling.

All I know was I hunted up in the Butt sink area in Jan last year and the migration was then if you could not get a limit of birds in a all day hunt it was because you could not hit water if you fell out of a boat, there where birds everywhere with lots of water to spread them out.

Believe me the USFWS know's more about the waterfowl pop. then any state going and if there saying 100+ days and 7 birds then that what KA. should adopt not some feel good that's what the hunters want idea, they can't even manage a deer herd how could they manage the Pacific flyway.

Cazador Suerte II

Reaction score
My concern is that once the moderate model is followed and there is a reduction in either the limit or the length of the season, there seems to be difficulty ever getting it back.  

Agree that duck counts are flawed.

Seems odd to me that the Feds say go liberal, and California goes moderate.  Is california the only state to go moderate?

Jay

Reaction score
Not too many years ago the limit was four and we got 'em back.

Megadeth

Reaction score
Once the state or feds start with their "contributions", duck hunters become extremely wary. Its very understandable. Our issues must be brought to life, second to NONE.

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
IMHO,  Californias waterfowl season needs to be completly overhauled.  

1.  We should have a late Sept early Oct teal season.
2.  Our waterfowl season should start in mid Nov and run until the first of Feb.
3.  Trash the motos!
4.  The folks who count the sprigs should get their eyes checked.
5.  Five ducks a day is enough.

CAwtrfwlhntr

Reaction score
Well said Kid Creole.
Five is enough, later season would work better. Definately no Moto's!
Forget the letter

BigDog

Reaction score
The limit was four and five ducks for several years. And the duck counts rose every year till three or four years ago, the officials were saying that there were near record numbers. Then, they raised the limit to 7 and now, just a few years later, the numbers are down again.
The ducks are just like any other resource. If you take more than the reproduction levels, pretty soon it will be gone.

Cazador Suerte II

Reaction score
I guess the decision for the August 30th DFG meeting is down to two choices:

1.  Loose 3 weeks of the season in October and start on November 2 and run through to Jan 26th.

or

2.  Start in October (probably the 12th) and dont take the extra week in January, thus ending around Jan 19th.

What do people think about these two choices???

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
I'll give up ducks until Thanksgiving to hunt until the first weekend of Feb.

mustystubs

Reaction score
I still say we need a point system for ducks.  Ten points per day, spooneys would be one point per bird, mallard hens five per bird, etc.  The problem isn't that too many ducks are being harvested, it's too many of the wrong type.  Let teal shooters take ten birds but only five drake mallards or two pintails.  That would encourage more hunters to take lesser quality ducks and protect those in short supply.

BigDog

Reaction score
I would vote for losing the weeks at the start.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom