Wave of prizes for surfer-angler. Giant squid

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Wave of prizes for surfer-angler

July 25, 2001

By DAVE STREGE, The Orange County Register

Catching waves isn't the only thing done from a surfboard. Catching fish is another.

For Kelly Watson of San Juan Capistrano, fishing from a surfboard proved quite lucrative Sunday.

He was among a record 145 surfer-anglers participating in the 15th annual Windansea Board Fishing Tournament off La Jolla.

Watson caught the best stringer of fish at 11.4 pounds.

He won a two-day fishing trip out of San Diego, $100 worth of sushi, a new fishing rod, sunglasses, tackle and a $100 massage.

"God, I need the massage after fishing from a surfboard for eight hours," he said.

A 6.1-pound ling cod and 3.2-pound calico bass topped his four-fish catch, but the one that got away provided the best fish story.

"I lost what was believed to be a huge white sea bass that towed me out among the other boardfishermen then towed me into the kelp and snapped my 30-pound string after a 15-minute battle," he said.

An Ocean Beach angler won the event with a 27-pound white sea bass, the first one caught in tournament history.

Chris Nietzel of Dana Point was second for big fish with a 7.3-pound ling cod.

Giant squid, for real: The squid showing up off our coast are known as giant squid by the sportfishing skippers, but they're really jumbo squid or jumbo flying squid.

That 550-pound creature that washed up on a beach in Australia last weekend? Now that's a giant squid. Scientists are studying the nearly 60-foot-long creature, believing it might be a new species of giant squid, The Associated Press reported.

First marlin: The buzz in the San Diego sportfishing community over the weekend centered on the first striped marlin of the season, weighed at Dana Landing in Mission Bay on Saturday.

The 127-pound fish was caught 12 miles south of Coronado Islands.

A what? A 12-inch African pompano. The silvery, piranha-looking fish was caught recently by an angler aboard the Tornado from Pierpoint Landing in Long Beach.

Landing owner Don Ashley asked the nearby Long Beach Aquarium about the fish and was told they move with warm water and can be found under kelp paddies.

"The one we caught was in 150 feet of water in the middle of the night," Ashley said. "A guy was dropping a jig down. Maybe there was a subsurface thermocline that was warm. But this was in albacore water. It wasn't El Nino."

Pompano, a jack with teeth that can grow to 50 pounds, is typically found in the shallow waters in the lower parts of Baja.

Trout plants altered: Green Valley Lake, a popular mountain lake just outside Running Springs, has begun stocking trout on a weekly basis rather than every other week.

Six hundred pounds of trout will be stocked each week instead of 1,200 pounds every two weeks.

Among the trout it will receive from Whitewater are steelhead and trophy trout.

Catch and keep: Laguna Niguel Lake instituted a new policy at the facility. Instead of all species being catch and release during the non-trout season, the lake has gone to catch and release for bass only.

The lake is now allowing anglers to keep the catfish, crappie and bluegill they catch with the limit being five fish total. The lake is not stocking catfish this year.

MLPA update: The Department of Fish and Game has asked Senator Dede Alpert to author a bill that would extend the deadline for completion of the Marina Life Protection Act Master Plan.

Senate Bill 1086 would call for a two-year extension, meaning the Draft Master Plan would need to be submitted to the Fish and Game Commission by Jan. 1, 2005 and the Final Master Plan by April 1, 2005. The FGC would adopt the final plan Dec. 1, 2005.

Sportfishing Association of California president Bob Fletcher said the extension request is to allow the seven regional committees enough time to come up with a re commendation on marine reserves.

Give blood, go fishing: Fish Talk Radio is teaming with the Long Beach Memorial Medical Center in a blood drive.

The "Fishing for Blood" drive is on-going through Sept. 6 and the goal is the collection of 1,000 pints.

The reward for giving? A certificate for a half-day trip out of Long Beach Sportfishing at Berth 55. Donors will also be entered in a drawing for a prize, awarded on the popular Sunday night radio show.

For an appointment, call (562) 933-0808.

BigDog

Reaction score
I  think I will work at learning to fish from a kayak before I think about a surfboard.....LOL

d trees

Reaction score
AHH come on Dave dont like your tootsies dangling in the water :rofl.....J/k hey did you get my email when you coming down to fish .d

BigDog

Reaction score
Not sure if I will be able to make before this Mexico trip. But...... there are three more weekends till then. Maybe I can sneak down one Sunday and go out with you on Monday. The company still owes me my fourth of July.

d trees

Reaction score
You bet sunday monday and tuesday are the lightest trips not as many people on those nights, starting aug 5 Southwest has 44.00 one ways and I could pick you up at LAX no problem let me know,d

BigDog

Reaction score
I will let you know. And yes........I do worry about having my tooties hanging in the water like some yummy bait.....LOL

tinner

Reaction score
unfortunately i am already scheduled to give blood to klos next weekend but i think that there is sufficient time left in the "fishing for blood" at long beach memorial medical center between now and sept. 6th.   :alien-green:

(Edited by tinner at 11:20 am on July 28, 2002)

Top Bottom