We went Predator calling today...

Eric Mayer

Reaction score
Very odd day.  The wind killed Predator calling today, but instead we ran into a nice covey of quail and a lone Spec Goose (which I stalked by walking directly at it in the middle of a field...)

I normally hate the wind, but today it helped by causing the birds to hold tight and allow us some shots.

Eric A. Mayer
Quail:

No, it wasn't shot on that pond... hehe

Thonzberry

Reaction score
Looks like you had a great day wind or no wind. Congrats.:toast-yellow:

(Edited by Thonzberry at 7:49 pm on Nov. 23, 2001)

dbeerman2000

Reaction score
Nice birds.  I have been trying to find mt. quail this year, maybe I am looking in the wrong places.  I have been to the new york mt. range, but no luck yet, I am hoping to get a couple before the end of the season.  Anyone know what "word" or sound to make into the quail call to imitate mt. quail?

Whoadog

Reaction score
Beerman,
 I have hunted mountain quail for a long time and couldn't describe their call.  However in Ben O. williams new book "Hunting the Quails of Norht America", which I highly recommend, he says they say "kow, kow, kow, kow" and repeat it several times.  They make different sounds in the spring when mating but that won't help you during hunting season.  Good luck!

Brian

jackrabbit

Reaction score
I accidently flush mountain quail very frequently when I am not quail hunting, so I don't get to hear there calls very often.  But the few time I have heard them, it sounded more like a high pitched "cluck/chirp" sound in a short rapid staccato.  I have used my valley quail call, "chiquito-chiquito" call, and just clucked and chirped through it, but no luck yet.  But it's a thought.

dbeerman2000

Reaction score
So where would I find these mt. quail you all speak of?  I have been having absolutley no luck, well actually I did get my first chukar looking for quail.

Marty

Reaction score
Hey, I found this decent site with quail info and call sounds... You might want to check it out. :smile-big-blue:

Quail Page

Swiss Lad

Reaction score
They make warning peeps and they thwirr when you're close.  The locate call can be done by mouth.  It's a high pitched whistle repeated very quickly.  Start by trying to whistle higher pitched than normal then cut it off abruptly.  I usually do it till I run out of breath by tapering off at the end.  Like all quail they get quieter as the covey gets smaller but early morning usually gets them to respond.

birdogman

Reaction score
Yeh, I learned to call mountain quail by whistling short high single notes that increase in speed for about 10 seconds. They will call back to you, I learned it from my psycho postman neighbor, half mountain quail half postal freak. The best way to locate them is just to listen, hike up toward them. Check you e-mail beerman for some info. regarding mtn. quail spot.

Advertisement

Top Bottom