Weather Proof Momentary Pushbuttons

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Has anybody found a way to weather proof the Momentary Push Buttons used on Brian and JoeD's Timers?

Tinhorn

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Tinhorn,
There are pushbutton covers available - I think maybe Allied or Newark carries them.
I just use momentary SPST toggle switches with an RS switch boot.

Archilochus

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Thanx Arch,

I used a regular toggle switch with RS switch covers and use use the "Flip Method" for a momentary contact but I was wondering what others might be using.  I thought about adding a small weatherproof "Pill Box" of somekind, just open the door and push but never seen anything to try in my junk boxes or the medicine cabinet    :)

Tinhorn

passgas55

Reaction score
I asked Brian the same question and he said he does not weather proof the switch it self but the hole that it goes thru. How about the tip of a latex glove if you can fold it over on the back side. How about drilling a hole in a film canister,push your switch thru your box then thru the film canister . Then all you have to do is to remove the cover to push the switch.

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
The little silicon Primer pump (dome shaped) off a small two cycle carburator like a weedeater or chain saw should work fine.  They are a dollar each.  You should be able to stick it in place with permatex

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
I usually don't use weather proof switches because they are so expensive and don't necessarily work better than the cheaper ones.  I usually buy the cheap ones and if they fail replace them. I have yet to replace one.  Seal the switch from the inside of the box and spray a little silicon on the outside metal portion of the switch and you will be surprised how long they last.

We could use the internal mounted pushbuttons that do not have a cover over them and mount them inside the box.  Drill a hole over the switch and then just cover the hole with a material that can be moved like rubber.  Now when you press rubber the switch behind the rubber and mounted through the hole will be activated.  Just a thought.

davered1

Reaction score
Tinhorn

I just use them like this ,allright so far

Curtiss

Reaction score
A lot of the chain saws have the cover that you are looking for. I have the red and the black.

dharter

Reaction score
I have seen some switches that are magnet operated.  I haven't tried them yet.  They will not handle high currents.  I think Jameco has some.  Unanswered questions about them are: Will they work mounted inside an ammo can?  How easy will it be to press them a certain number of times?

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Reaction score
I don't know if this is what you're referring to, but I have a older Buckshot 35 cam and it's operates with a magnet to turn it off/on.  Have no idea how it works, but it does.

Curtiss

Reaction score
I am sure that they use a reed swithch in the buck35. The magnet just pulls the contacts together to close the cuircut. Just my thoughts!

Archilochus

Reaction score
That's the way they do it.  I used something like that a few years back - but I kept losin' the friggin' magnet!!  I switched back to regular switches.
This would not work with a steel case.

Archilochus

coyotebandit

Reaction score
I just put the Counter button and LED outside the box. The timer mode button and LED stay inside. I have been using this button and it seems to be fine in the rain, sleet and snow in my pelican boxes. My friend used a RS hobby box, and had 1/4 inch of water in the bottom of the box.

Outside button(counter)

Inside button (timer)

(Edited by coyotebandit at 12:57 pm on Mar. 2, 2002)

Curtiss

Reaction score
You could still use the metal box, you just have to bore a 1/2 inch hole in the box, and press copper or brass in the hole. You could put a piece of lexan or plexaglass were you cut the hole, like you do for the camera lense, take a reed switch, glue it to the plastic, and have a magnet and do the same thing.
   Again these are just my thoughts.
   Curtiss

Latest Posts

Top Bottom