Web Cams

Possum

Reaction score
Can anyone direct me to a site that lists what is needed to set up a Web cam (always on cam).  I saw some sites on the Video Camera forum.  Like the Kings Ranch cam and the Africam.  Is this a very expensive proposition?

troll

Reaction score
Actually it may be as easy as buying a digital camera.  It doesn't even need to be a camcorder, just a regular digital camera.  There are shareware programs for taking webcam shots that work quite well that you can find on shareware.com or download.com.  A camera I have used that is relatively cheap is one by AFGA that runs about $99.  I bought mine at Kmart, so you might want to start there.  The hookup is usually USB, so be sure you have that type of hookup.  By the way, I like putting webcams on my desktop at work with nature shots.  If you get it up and going, let me know the address.

gtk

Reaction score
All you need is a webcam, which I have seen as cheap as $49.00, and a computer, and some kind of software.

You can proabably find the software for free at http://www.zdnet.com.  Do a search for webcam.

Then all you need is a hosting site like geocities.

I have a webcam at home, so I can watch my children play while I am at work.  This fall, I am going to set up a webcam overlooking our driveway where I hunt.  Deer are always crossing the driveway (it's 7/10 of a mile long).  Hopefully I will be able to catch something crossing.

Possum

Reaction score
That's what I needed to know.  Are you connected by a Internet connection that is always on or do you dial up?

Top Bottom