Weekend 2 at Bryson

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Details to come, but there's a bird in the cooler. The happy hunter is over in his cabin, enjoying a nice shower as the cooker heats up and the tri-tips marinate...

Several more birds seen today, but hunter #2 has yet to put blood on the ground. Final scouting reports are promising, though, so it's looking good for manana!

BrysonHesperiaResort

Reaction score
Congrats to Pennywise! Great guy, great hunt... I'll let him tell his story ...
Merriam
9 inch beard
3/4 in. spurs
21.5 lbs.

Thank you for having us! The crew at BHR

[attachment=51039:larry_4_08_hunt.gif]

Attachments

switch

Reaction score
...and they continue to fall.

Congrats to the hunter and good job BHR!

pennywise67

Reaction score
Thanks Speck for the help!!! We had the odds against us, but we prevailed. Superior tactics and firepower always come in handy.
Hope you are not in too much trouble for being late to the cookout
We will have to do it again soon. You better have your deke checked to see if it is pregnant.

-Larry

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Glad you had a good time, Pennywise. It was fun hunting with you! Wish I could've stayed around to scare some more squeaks with Jesse's .22mag.

As to the rabbit test... it's too late for little miss Sally Strutters... I got home and found a clutch of polystyrene eggs in the backseat! Just wish I'd had a game cam on when the assault happened.

SCREWLOOSE

Banned
Reaction score
Well I finally have a minute to post about my sons trip to see Deedy at Bryson's. You may recall that he won the free junior hunt contest and this being his last year to hunt as a junior he was really excited to go.

We left town at 1:00 and after dealing with some road construction along the way arrived at Deedy's place at 5:15. Jesse was allready there and Deedy, Speck and Pennywise were out scouting for birds. After introductions with Jesse we met John, one of the military guys that's staying at the resort, and John is busy pegging some tail feathers of a bird he shot that day to some cardboard. That's a good sign. We get checked in and I have to tell you the cabins at Deedy's are TOP NOTCH, you could easily live in one of these cabins. Two bedrooms, living room with a T.V, kitchen, central heat, refridgerator and a very nice bathroom. I was very happy with the accommodations. The grounds of the resort are well taken care of and you can tell that this is being ran as a business with the intention of being around for a long time. After checking in we pile into Jesse's Dodge and head out to look at the area we are hunting in the morning. We saw two hens and probably 100 squeaks, and that was just in about an hours time. After setting up some blinds we head back to the resort and get a chance to meet-n-greet for awhile. I gotta tell ya these are some pretty nice people. I found out that Speck used to be a surf bum and Deedy used to, well you name it she probably has done or atleast can figure out how to get it done, very interesting person.

Now for the hunting, the hunting was tough, we had Tom's gobbling both days but they were with the hens and they would not leave them to come play with us. Jesse did most of the calling and he was doing a great job of getting the toms interested but we just couldn't close the deal. Deedy had her birds patterned and they were in the areas when she said they would be but we just couldn't get them to come to the calls. But thats Turkey hunting and there's no sure thing in Turkey hunting. Although Jon didn't take a bird I think the hunt was more than successful. Spending time with my son, meeting new people and hunting a new area are all parts of a great hunt. In fact we will be going back later this season so that Jon can take the triple bird that is on one of the ranches that we hunted...Thanks to Deedy for offering the junior hunt and thanks to Jesse for guiding the hunt we had a great time....Gordon and Jon

P.S. if you go there TAKE something to shoot the squeaks with and be prepared to challenge Karin to a squeak shoot out.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I had a ball at Bryson as usual. I brought back some poison oak so I'm late telling my true as can be stories.

Rolled in late Thursday night. Scouted Friday and saw a tom mate a hen for the longest time in the afternoon. Shoulda had a stopwatch on the boy, longest animal fornication think I've witnessed
. When I first saw him it looked like he was fighting another tom, he was stomping hard on this flat pile of feathers so I thought he had just whipped some jake. Then he puffs up and does some more dancing and up pops a hen from underneath him.

Friday night Chez Larry (pennywise67) grilled up some great tri-tip. Pardoo around the fire ring with the frogs in the nearby creek adding their throaty creekin to the atmoshopere.

Saturday John, Gordan and I slipped into a heifer pasture right at blue light, I had set the Ameristep blinds the day before. At least 2 toms were just up from us, maybe 150 yards. We let them know that a lithe new hen was in town. We got the eager toms fired up with some yelping when the nearby ranchdog trotted in to break up the party. About the same time another tom fired off to our left and I started cranking on him with a Lohman box call and Woodhaven slate. He turned into us and started to circle us. The dog was still raising cain with the 2 toms above us and this turkey seemed to veer off to go check out the ruckus at the top of the ridge.

About 9am we moved over to a nearby field with a graveyard at the top of the hill, a place you'll never see me set up
. Gordon and John set up out in front of me so I could try and pull a tom in to them. Naturally a tom sounded off behind me. He came in real fast and caught me by the truck. I jumped in the truck to get out of sight just as the fast mover crossed the road.

He gobbled once more right behind me as I called out the truck window. Gordon and John couldn't hear him since the wind was wrong. When they did walk back out I sent them in the tom's direction. Gordan finally saw them and 2 hens had cut us off.

Noon off to a great Mexican place just 1/2 mile down the road, "My Place"m for a quick lunch. We're out in the boonies and this place is right next door, our only good luck for the day.

Afternoon we try again with no joy. The toms are around and the hens are commanding most of their attention. Hard purring and a fight sequence don't even bring in a peeker. Going to the secret weapons tomorrow. Today I used an American Friction paddle box call, some Primos and MAD mouth calls and a 2 bone jenny wingbone.

Saturday night was a fine feast around another great fire.

Here's some video of the weekend. John and his dad (screwloose) we're the best to hunt with. John is the first one to get a JHO glass turkey call and make it play the same day, the other guys spend a couple days sanding it to get it to sound good.

Another huge thank you to Deedy, Karin and Phil who scouted, cooked, arranged, cleaned and other assorted chores that helped make the hunt enjoyable.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6gHhAl6b3Kc&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6gHhAl6b3Kc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Part 2 coming

BrysonHesperiaResort

Reaction score
Great write up Jesse, thank you as always, you are a joy to hunt with! The neighbors dog really screwed us up both days, I called the dog catcher on Monday - the dog owner was reprimanded and the dogs are contained.
Screwloose Jr. will be back for a second go - on the house.
Deedy

dhall61

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spectr17 @ Apr 9 2008, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Noon off to a great Mexican place just 1/2 mile down the road, "My Place"m for a quick lunch.[/b]
I don't remember a mexican place close by, is it new?

karin@bryson

Reaction score
wow Jesse love the video cant wait to see part two! feathernhoof it is a new place it used to be called kathys corner last year they just changed owners and its pretty good!

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Hey Karin, glad to see you posting a bit...

So, tell me... did anyone ever actually hit one of those ground grizzlies on Sunday? I think they were all bulletproof.

pennywise67

Reaction score
I hit one!!!
The trip was great fun, and everyone had a good time. We ate like kings
Deedy and Karin are great hostesses, and really know what they're birds and pigs are going to do. But you know what the funnest part of the whole wekend was??? Going Bzzzzzzzzzz when Karin saw a rattlesnake and Speck and Jesse were looking for it (Speck wanted a new hat band). To see Jesse do a snake jig was worth the cost of admission
Who knew if somebody was wearing those ear protection/electronic hearing aids that someone could hear you go Bzzzzzzzzzzz from 20 yards away
But if you guys didnt notice I protected the trucks while you were looking
And we learned so many things that weekend, we learned how to herd sheeep, why turkeys would not come to my blind, Speck makes great venison chili and quesadillas
that buzzards follow Karins truck waiting for the free meal, that a load of 2oz Hevi-13 #6's rolls a turkey dead at 12 yards, Specks Jake decoy cant fight
My DSD decoy looks great int he field and must be able to hold her own. Hopefully Deedy will be gracious enough to host JHO again next year, because you can count me in!!

-Larry

PS: If anyone goes up there and challenges Karin in a squeak shooting contest, bring your $$$ cause your going to loose
But dont feel bad you'll have fun doing it.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Larry, when you did that Bzzz thing, I thought Jesse was about to break into the Curly Shuffle... I didn't laugh too hard, because I was standing about two feet from where that snake was hiding, but holy cow! That was just mean.

Good thing you were over there protecting that truck, though. Never know when Mr No-Shoulders might sneak up and bite the tires!

Huntr Pat

Reaction score
Whats a Turkey hunt run$$ over at Brysons? Never mind!!

karin@bryson

Reaction score
HAHA yea speckmisser we never did get a confirmed kill! Oh yes and the rattle snake you cant forget about that! i think i am gonna get some good knee high boots to wear!

BrysonHesperiaResort

Reaction score
Of course we'll do it again next year...I had a blast.

Karin is ruined on those rattlesnakes.
Tom Willoughby scared her with a dead one last year
and she hasn't quite been the same since (that's putting it mildly)

The birds are really heatin' up now they're breeding the decoys on a regular basis ... must of been good for 'em the first time! And thundering into the calls finally. Must be the weather, we had a late start on the the birds here that's for sure.
We took one today with a bow, and one a few days ago with a shotgun, I'll get the pix up as soon as I get time.
Great posts you guys, thank you for all the kudos ... but honestly, I am the lucky one to have the pleasure of people like you!
Thank you
Deedy

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Congrats to the successful hunters over this past week. Was it John (was that his name?) who got the bow kill?

As to Karin and sneaky snake... you sure came high stepping back to the road when you ran across that one! Of course, you weren't exactly dressed for rattler country up there.

Sure sounded like a big one, though...wish I could've got it for my black hat. Might've been enough to use on a rifle sling, too.

BrysonHesperiaResort

Reaction score
Speck- you can come and hunt Mr. Rattlesnake anytime- if you'd like I'll put a blind out there at the farm equipment and tie a pet store rat to a stake. We killed a 36" greasy green one the other day by the grain bins... Mojave. I think that would be enough for a partial hammock
. Forget the rifle sling.

Actually Russel finally got his first bow kill turkey, after he shot the first one with his shotgun. John's out there this morning for his bow turkey, but he's a pretty good shot at 50 yards with his bow. So he should be done today, he had to wait for Russel to get done first, that was the deal.

I'll try to get the photos & details on today. Hybrid ... 19 lbs and 1 inch spurs.
8 new gobblers over there where you and Pennywise bagged out. Breeding the dekes. Seriously.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Hmm... a rattlesnake hammock! Now that would be kewl!

I'll carry a few rounds of snake shot with me whenever I'm back up there. It's definitely getting to be time for them to be out.

Glad Russell got one with the bow.

Figures they'd start breeding the dekes the weekend AFTER we're out there. I'm dying to get that on video... wish I'd been there when they beat up my jake and raped my hen last weekend, but such is life.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom