• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Weekend opener!

Zanglo

D16 opens for bear (and deer) this Saturday. Went scouting last weekend around where I plan on hunting. The acorns are ripe and I found a bunch of turned over rocks. I didn’t spend much time looking but I didn’t find any scat or tracks, so we’ll see how it goes. Good luck to everyone this weekend!

Zanglo

So far only seen one hunter and two families up here camping. No sign up here at the Thomas hunting grounds I’ve seen unless the bears are coyote sized. Lots and lots of acorns and manzanita berries, if there’s water up here I haven’t seen it. Maybe going to forest falls tomorrow.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Check out bear creek, it's off the santa ana river rd from hwy 38. It's down past converse flats. Theres an old apple orchard down there to check. Usually crowded on opening weekend.

Theres not much public land to hunt around forest falls unless you head east up the vivian creek trail. If you do get a bear you're gonna have to run a gauntlet of angry hikers and locals to get it out.

Bankrunner

Hey Zanglo,
Thanks for the update.
When I was a kid walking in my Dad would stop and say the deer stop and listen and we have to sound like the deer when we're walking in.

Zanglo

I’ll check it out this evening thank you so much! Down next to the river off of seven oaks road we found our first pile of bear scat, pretty old but it was a big pile. We walk a ways then stop and try a predator call for 20 minutes or so. Lots of deer sign but no deer. And really haven’t seen many hunters up here today. Forest falls was filled with hikers, got out of there pretty quick. Lots of acorns and lots of berries and water down on 7 oaks road.

Zanglo

We decided to call it after 2 1/2 days of looking and seeing no sign. Think we might try Shasta county or somewhere near in the coming weeks. If anyone has any advice for the new area it would be appreciated!

Top Bottom