Weekend Quail Update

ghrousseau

Reaction score
I was out in Amboy area on Monday hauling water to guzzlers with my friend.  We went to 6 guzzlers and they all had birds on them.  We did see some little birds that could have been from a hatch this year.  Coveys were  from 8 birds to 40 birds in size.  Some of the males were very large.  Also saw 6 large jacks and 2 cottontails.

ghrousseau

Reaction score
Yes................I was actually near Amboy/Needles area. I was trying not to give up our honey holes so the location was not "too exact".  This was our 3rd trip this spring/summer to haul water.  We cleaned all the dirt out of the old guzzlers and filled them with water.  Most of them now have about 14 to 16 inches of water.  These should stay full through the season and until next spring.  I am happy to report the birds are using the guzzlers.  We are going to hit a few more this year that are harder to get into.  We take a 4x4 with a waterbed mattress full of water.  This way we can dump 150 gallons at a time.

1SoCalHunter

Reaction score
ghrousseau:
Do you need any help taking more water up there?:smile-big-blue: I could probably take 2 or 3 waterbed mattresses filled with water on my truck...

docramo

Reaction score
ghroussea
Good job on helping to replenish the guzzlers !:smiley-thumbs-up:

Mojave

Reaction score
The mattress is a great idea, ghrousseau. We have been filling our own guzzlers, and the few on adjoining land, for the past several years using 55 gallon plastic drums. A waterbed mattress would sit lower in the truck, and spread out the weight. Not sure how my Landcruiser pickup will handle with 1200 pounds of water wiggling around in the back - but it's definitely worth a try. The ultimate rig for me would be a military surplus "Water Buffalo" trailer. Haven't found a good deal on one yet, but we are keeping our eyes open.

MapMan

Reaction score
I was scouting out in Hesperia and Apple Valley areas last Friday and saw a couple small coveys of both Quail and Chukar. I took along two 5 gallon jugs of water and put some in each of the guzzlers I had located. These guzzlers already held some water, I guess from what little rains we did get, but every extra gallon helps. If everyone could take extra water with them, and add it to the guzzlers they hunt near, it will really have an impact. Especially in a dry years such as this one. Cudos to all those who already do this and to the rest of ya, grab that extra water jug next time out .

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
ghrousseau

do you do this on your own? or in part with some organization?

ghrousseau

Reaction score
I go with my friend who has been hunting the area with his dad for many years.  They have maps of all the guzzlers they have located over the years.  We don't work in conjunction with any other group.  Just 4 of us.  Someone else also hauled water to a few of the same guzzlers we had cleaned and put water in back in March.............that could have been the SB chapter of Quail Unlimited.

As far as what we use to get into the areas:  Ford Ranger 4x4 extra cab.  We used a full size waterbed mattress and sparkletts water bottles.  Back the truck up to the guzzler and attach a hose to the mattress.  Takes about 1/2 hour to fill up and 1/2 hour to drain.  We have a guy in town who lets us water up at his well outside his business.  Most people don't mind you using water if they know it's for the wildlife.

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
Thanks ghrousseau for doing what you do. Maybe instead of just getting together for JHP hunts we should get together for JHP guzzler cleanings and fillings.

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
Qbn, thats what was running through my mind . . .

I think that sort of thing would be great.  I know that sometimes it's hard to get GPS digits from people, maybe they feel they are giving up hunting spots.  I think that if we could get a list of GPS digits we could end up doing a lot of this type of work.

Maybe it's something we (JHP) should consider????

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
FullSack

we may be able to get locations for guzzlers from the Forest Service

Marty

Reaction score
I have an old list of local guzzlers at home that we could start with.  
If I dig it out of the pile of papers, I'll post under a new thread.
I don't think any of them are "secret" spots.  

Mojave

Reaction score
If you are willing to volunteer your time maintaining guzzlers (and get a good idea of the out-of-the-way guzzler locations), try contacting the Forest Service station closest to you. I have seen several requests in the past on Los Padres N.F. and S.B.D. N.F. websites, looking for volunteers specifically to build, repair and maintain guzzlers. I can't imagine that they would turn away someone that is willing to do hard work for free (maybe a JHP guzzler crew?).

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
Mojave I like that idea JHP guzzler fix up day pick one or two a year and set a weekend aside for a Guzzler fix up and may be BBQ/camp out or something like that. I know that SDQU does a monthly project most of it is guzzler work and installing drinker boxes in the San Diego area. WBH

yotegetter

Reaction score
A JHP guzzler fill up/cleaner campout sounds good to me. Anybody want to get a serious date together? July maybe? I'll be getting a 4x4 soon so I can get into those hard to reach spots.

songdog

Reaction score
There are a bunch of them out at Carrizo.  So it might work well to kill two birds with one stone.  Fix/clean/fill a few of the guzzlers and make sure there are fewer coyotes when we leave?

Maverick

Reaction score
Songdog that sounds like a plain in-a-half...
I was on a fire on the Morongo{sp} Indian Res. on tuesday. Dove and Quial all over. We put up a covey of Quail that must have been 100 birds.Its to bad they don't let you hunt there land..

Hook

Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea to me too. Middle of July works for me. I can bring a two 55 gal drums of water.

How does the 27th & 28th of July sound??

Top Bottom