Weekly coyote report

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
I will be posting my spottings once a week, so everyone will know when they start to move again. I encourage everyone else to do the same.

Wed. 4/17/02 4:30am Roadkill 15 south 500yds north of Gopher Cyn. fresh, blood was still wet

Wed 4/17/02 1:50 pm Roadkill 15 north 200 yds south of above. wasn't there the day before.

Friday 4/19/02 8:50 am 125 south just south of Mission Gorge. Crossed in front of me, and actually made it all the way acrros the freeway amidst skidding cars. It was headed east.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Here in Missouri,
 Every morning i go turkey hunting i call in Coyotes with my calls,see them every morning at 2am on my way home from work.
 Season starts in 3 weeks approx. cant wait.

lintongb

Reaction score
My wife was headed over to Whittier early Monday morning with my daughter and said she spotted 4 coyotes.  She saw a pair on Turnbull Canyon and two separate others as she was coming out of the canyon towards Beverly.  

jmabbott888

Reaction score
Saw a roadkill coyote on 99 southbound 12 miles south of Panama exit in Bakersfield today

songdog

Reaction score
I looked out the window today down where I had shot the coyote earlier this week (see "Another tripod" post) and there was another coyote running off the buzzards.  He sniffed the carcass in the bushes and then kept coming down the road.  He made it about 40 yards before he met a .17 caliber bullet and is now resting peacefully alongside the other coyote down there.

I think that they're starting to come back out...

(Edited by songdog at 6:04 pm on April 26, 2002)

paulc

Reaction score
on the walk i take with the kids every night saw 2 come out of the groves in front of us did a double take and then an about face back into the groves.. saw more critter activity than normal tonight.. most likely due to the break in the storm.. saw cotton tails and jacks  and the kids got some pollywogs as well.

song dog i wish i could use a rifle around the house .. even hesitate with the .22 short.
excellent job on the double yote kill.. i finally figured out the tripod post yesterday.
do you skin them this time of the year or are the pelts to sparce

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
I drew a blank last week.

This report is from my hunting buddy Chuck:

Wed. 6/24/02 6:30 AM. Two just off of the road, heading into the new development headed east on Deer Springs Rd.

songdog

Reaction score
Another one just died on the road below the house.  Biggest difference between this one and the last was that this one was basically in full summer coat (short, short hair).  

I still haven't rigged up the coyote cam but sooner or later I'll get these on film for everyone.

grtwythunter

Reaction score
I saw two last night. Too much traffic to stop and pop them. They still had pretty decent looking fur.                   Scott

songdog

Reaction score
Well, they're starting to move around here...  I saw another this morning below the house.  Followed him through the 6x scope for a while and for some strange reason let him go.  I figure he'll be back...

Tonight two more walked up the same spot (all three were checking out the carcass of the last one).  I was out in the driveway without a gun and the neighborhood kids were all out so these two were safe as well... for the time being.

I'll try and get the video camera ready for the next shot.

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
Yesterday was bad for road kills in SD. I saw one BIG ASS road kill deer driving to work at about 6:15am three or four I don’t knows two possums very young and a Fox on the north bound side of I15. This morning two new possum kills and one yote on the north bound side of I15 in the Poway area.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 SongDog,you live in thier den!!!
 I have been seeing more coyotes this year than any other year.

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
One road kill yesterday. 15n just south of the hostage station.

I agree with WBH, lots of possums and skunks in the last week.

WBH: Where was the deer?

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
Just one dead bunny today and some old left over stuff but hoping to get some this weekend heading out to El Centro area to do some hunting/fishing.
JDC the deer was on the west bound side of the middle divide of Scripps Poway Parkway about 3 miles west of the 67. It was big to at first I was thinking it was a mule from one of the ranches in the area till I got closer and could see the head and legs.
WBH

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
I can't believe the amount of road kill deer that happens in the area of 67 north bound starting about Foster Truck Trail, extending North about 2 miles past Poway road, then West about 2-3 miles on Scripps Poway and Poway Rd.

When I used to drive that everyday, I would stop in the morning and watch deer at least once a month. I think is was 3 years ago there were 5 road kills, including two bucks in a one month time period..... and they just keep building and building and building in that area..

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
I only saw one this week. A road kill on Deer Springs about 2 miles west of 15.

I have seen an abundance of baby g.s.'s and bunnies though.

On the strange sighting list was a ferret. This is the third time I have seen this one (I think it's the same one, because it's almost always in the same area).

songdog

Reaction score
I'm seeing lots of cottontails this year.  Must be an upswing year in their population cycle.  Just means more predators :wink-yellow:

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
It was pretty busy commute this morning.

1 Raod kill 15s just south of Gopher cyn. This is the smallest pup I have ever seen.

2 more big ones cross in front of me on Deer Springs

Oh, and one monster coon' on Buena Creek.

MarinePMI

Reaction score
JDC,

You must've drove right past my apartment!  I live next to Buena Creek in the Mill Creek Apts.  Hmmmm... Small world...

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Saturday (6/1), Calabasas about 1630

I was driving one of the access road on our project site up ahead of my one ran across the road. When I got to the point where he left the road I stopped and saw him about 400' feet down the hill with his afterburners on.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom