Weirdest or Strangest Thing You've Seen Turkey Hunting

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
What's the weirdest or strangest thing you seen turkey hunting?

One year I took a buddy into one of our favorite places to deer hunt in north Missouri, fall turkey was already closed. I put him in the first stand and I climbed up in another wooden platform stand about 200 yards past him in the dark.

When blue light started creeping across the sky I could make out big dark blobs in the oak trees along the creek bottom we were watching. Turkeys!, lots of em too. Luckily we hadn't spooked them off the roost but they knew we were there.

As soon as it was light enough for them to see they started flying off 2 and 3 at a time. There musta been 100+ birds in them trees cuz it took foreever for them all to leave. It soon grew quiet after the turkeys left and I settled back down to look for sneaking deer.

All of a sudden, whoof, whoof whoof, here come one of the toms that had been eyeballing me from the oaks. He flew up into a high limb barely getting a toehold. There he sat bobbing up and down eyeballing me again not 20 yards out in front of my wooden platform. I stood up and asked him what he wanted and he just craned his neck even more.

After about 5 minutes of looky looing he hopped off the limb and flew off. Never did figure out why he came back. He had a nice beard and spurs so he wasn't a doofus jake. The whole tiem he was bobbing up and down I thought for sure the limb was going to break. It was all that tom could do to keep his balance and still keep an eye on me. If I had only brought the camcorder.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 One spring about 10:00 am nothing was happening so i put a decoy hen out in an opening and sit back in the woods and started calling often and loud,after about 30 min I heard a single yelp on the hill behind me and a hen come running by close enough for me to reach out and grab,when she got 10 ft from my decoy she jumped straight up in the air and landed on my decoy knocking it over,she then jumped back and looked at it sideways and i could see her thinking "what the hell,i didnt hit her that hard" after a time she went to purring and clucking while she was looking for something to eat.
 As she would walk away i would mimic her and she would run back over to have a look see at my decoy,i was having so much fun i didnt hear the gobblers gobbling,before i knew it i had 5 gobblers comeing in from 5 directions and harvested one.

Another time while bow hunting i seen these squirrels running around and one spotted me,he ran up a tree out on a limb 50ft up and made a leap for another tree,well he missed and fell all the way to the ground,shook up from the fall he made a beeline for the tree agian ran up it out the same limb and jumped for the other tree agian,he missed LOL.This time it knocked the wind out of him and he lay there,after awhile he got wind and jumped up and ran to the tree he was trying to get in,i laughed my ass off,what a show.

Possum

Reaction score
One year in the early 90's I watched an episode that would have won me the big money for the best video.  I watched a yearling deer play hide and seek with a crow.  A 25 acre field was the playing ground.  The crow would go to one end and stand there and CAW, CAW, CAW at the yearling.  Then the yearling would run over there in a dead run and make the crow fly.  Then the crow would fly to the other end and do the same thing.  It went on for about 10 minutes.  Everytime one would lose interest the other one would start it back up again.  
That was a pretty good hunt. Now there was the story of the leaf angel.......Maybe after a few more posts.

songdog

Reaction score
I was antelope hunting in WY several years ago and trying to put the sneak on about 30 animals.  I got to about 250 yards and tried to push my luck to about 200 before taking a shot.  Needless to say, I spooked them and they took off at a dead sprint.  

There was a barb wire fence that they gracefully lept over one at a time... except for the last buck in the group.  I don't know if he was trying to look back, tripped on something or was just the klutz of the group but he managed to catch his front leg on the top wire and did a forward summersault  in a big cloud of dust.  He quickly got up and caught up with the rest of the herd but it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

DaveC

Reaction score
Saw a hunter one spring, crawling down a fence row toward some birds about a half mile down the field.  Trouble was, they were turkey vultures.

kinglongshanks

Reaction score
During a fall Turkey hunt 5 years ago, I feel asleep about miday, woke up and watched a Copperhead crawl over my left boot. Needless to say I ALMOST pooped in my pants.  He crawled over my boot, when he was about 4 feet away, I ran 100 yards in world record time!

songdog

Reaction score
Another one (still not turkey hunting though) - I was duck hunting out in Camarillo near Pt. Mago in a small slew with a friend and about 5 deks.  The water is actually flowing slowly so the deks kind of move back and forth on their anchors... very lifelike.  

After a really slow morning without a shot, we thought about packing it up only to see another hunter sneaking along the far side of the small slew we were on.  Every 30 yards or so he would pop his head over the bank and look our way, then duck back down and pop up 30 yards closer.  This went on for about 15 minutes until he was only 30-40 yards away from me.  This time he popped up and started to raise his gun towards our deks on the water.  My friend (from Alabama) in his most polite southern accented voice said "Good morning" from the bushes only about 10 feet from where the other hunter stood.

The poor guy just about lost it.  First from pure fear secondly from embarrasment.  Turned out to be a really nice guy and we promised not to tell anyone (by name) that he had spent 20 minutes and 200 yards putting the sneak on a bunch of deks.

Wild Turk

Reaction score
I've got a couple of good ones (I hunt almost everything you can hunt in California, so I have a lot of chances to see some crazy stuff).

One time I was Turkey hunting in Northern California and I saw a small hawk on the next tree over looking for something to attack. He sat there for a while and I went back to calling.  I looked up at him right as he dove down.  I was thinking it would be awesome to watch him grab a field mouse right in front of me.  Well as he got closer I realized he was diving right at my head. About halfway down he put his talons out and even though he was pretty small, they looked like something I didnt want to tangle with. I was in full camo, but he must have seen my hand when I started calling a minute or so before.  I raised my hands to shield my face and that spooked him.  He came so close as he veered off that I heard a big swoosh.

On a non-turkey hunting note, I was hunting in Humboldt County in the early season Honker hunt two weeks ago and saw some strange goose behavior.  I called in a flock of 4 geese and downed one as it came over me at about 30 yards.  I looked down to unload my gun in preparation to walking over to the bird.When I looked up, the other 3 had circled in and landed.  I had already unloaded my gun, thinking the others were on the way to the next area code.  I reloaded, jumped the birds up and downed my second bird.  I have heard of Turkeys hanging around after shooting, but never geese that landed after 2 shots fired at them from close range.  To make it even better, both geese had ankle and neck bands!!

Wild Turk

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
Well, this wasn't turkey hunting either, it was deer hunting.  A few years ago I was muley hunting in Oregon's Ochoco unit.  It was about 11:00 am and I'd been hiking since about 5:45.  I made it down into this dense grove of trees and I'm thinking I've got a deer pretty well cornered - river to our left, vertical cliffs to our right, and behind the deer a wide open pasture that I'm sure he's none to anxious to cross.  So I'm sneaking into position getting ready for a shot and thinking I'll be glad to get this deer just so that I can stop hiking.  It's totally silent when a friggin' OWL swoops out of a tree from behind me and actually grabs my boonie hat off my head and carries it about 10 feet away before dropping it and flying away.  That was by far the scariest/wierdest thing I've experienced in my outdoor life.  I let out a gutteral yell and actually squirted in my pants a little bit (I had to pee for a good hour but didn't want to stop tailing this deer).  I've really no idea why that owl did that but it scared the hell out of me.  And as it flew by, it was totally silent, didn't even disturb the air enough to make a whooshing sound.  Deer bolted when I hollered.  

Regards,
Paul

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
Last year while spring gobbler hunting, I was sitting on a mountainside watching my decoys out there at 20yrds. All of a sudden, I catch a black blob in my left periphial, and immediately think gobbler. As the blob passes me at 10yrds, I am amazed to see a 10-15lb bear cub walk past me, and stand 10yrds directly in front of me, looking at my decoys. At first I thought oh how cute, then I thought...Oh #$#%..That little things got to have a mother around here somewhere. At the same time, a light breeze moved my decoy, and that little bear wheeled directly around, and ran directly at me, attempting to climb the tree I was sitting under. When it hit my boot, I rolled off to my right, and it  ran across my leg as it veered off in a different direction, and stopped 20yrds up from me, staring in my direction, I sat there motionless for 5 minutes and it finally walked off in the direction it originally came. I hightailed it out of there. It was the smallest bear I have ever seen, I know mommy wasn't far away.  That was my close encounter.

Welby

Reaction score
TURKEY HUNTING
One of the first times I ever went turkey hunting, I had my back to a log while calling to a group of gobblers in a hollow.  After some time, the birds moved off and ignored my pathetic calling.  Giving up, I stood up and turned to leave, but was shocked as a bobcat sprang up from behind my log and ran away from me.  Another second, and he might have attacked me.  Reckon?

On another turkey hunt, I called up some birds for my brother.  He pulled the trigger on one and down it went.  Another gobbler, instead of running for safety, ran over an commenced a kickin’ and spurring that poor flopping bird like you’ve never seen.  Well, although it was already dead, we felt an obligation to defend the downed bird so we took home the li’l bully too!

DEER HUNTING
Once while sitting in my climber one evening, I had two different hawks attempt to remove my head from it’s shoulders.  I was in camo from head to toe and would only move my head just barely from time to time, so I guess they thought I was some kind of squirrel or something.  They just barely missed me each time, as I could feel the whoosh from their wings.

The funny thing was how wide their eyes would get as, at the last second, they realized their intended target was much bigger than they were.

Fubar

Reaction score
Welby  I know what calling in a Big animal is like.  Spring turkey hunting with a buddy in the Big Bear area we had been calling at our setup for about half an hour. We were sitting against two pine trees about a foot apart. After calling and waiting for about a half hour I heard footsteps coming from behind us. At first I thought it may be a turkey but then the footsteps sounded too heavy. I thought it may be another hunter so I didnt want to look around the tree cause I didnt want to get shot in the face. When it walked right to the trees we were sitting at and was right behind us my friend had to turn and look. He let out a loud yell and I turned to see a bear about 300 lbs running up the hill. The bear was about 3 feet from my buddy and they were looking each other right in the face. I dont know who was more scared, the bear or my friend. Watch your back.                 Fubar

maytom

Reaction score
This past turkey season after I moved in on this tom, set-up and started calling, I heard this strange popping sound? Looking around without trying to make to much movement, since I didn't want to spook the turkey that was working himself in, I didn't spot anything that was making that strange noise. After a few minutes this popping sound started up once again, this time I noticed some branches moving above my head and figured it was just a squirrel so I didn't pay any more attention to it. Again I hear this popping sound, now looking straight up I now make out a large owl looking down at me popping his jaw open and closed!!! Man, the hair on the back of my neck stood up because you hear every so often of an owl attacking a man!! Now what do you do to scare away this dam owl without spooking that turkey!! Well, finally the turkey sounded like it was headed in another direction, and I jumped up and started waving my hat to get that dam owl out of there!! He just stood his ground all the while popping his jaws open and closed!! So I got up and started to get the heck out of there in a hurry!! He flew from tree to tree for a distance of about 30 yards before finally giving up!! Whew, I browed my shorts on that one for sure!!! Strangest thing I ever seen!!

kuff

Reaction score
I had a grounhog infestation on the farm a few years back so I sat out one evening behind the barn to pick one off. A fresh litter of newly weaned young were hanging around a log pile about 40 yards into the field in front of me. I took my old 22 rifle and got in position for the ambush. It wasn't long and I saw a little body moving around on top of the pile. I lined up and shot. Damn thing ducked back down the far side. I couldn't believe I missed. A few minutes later it was back in the same spot. Another shot - another miss. Same thing happened 4 more times. This rifle was always accurate before so I wondered what was wrong. I was really intent on getting this brown eyed bastard now. I went to the house and got the 12 guage with a pheasant load. Didn't take long and he was back. After the blast I knew I had one confirmed kill. I walked over to see both parts of him lying on top of the pile....... and his 6 brothers and sisters in their final resting place behind it. I knew I wasn't that bad of a shot!

Another funny thing that happened was on a pheasant hunt a few years back. Someone in our party spotted what he said were snow geese on the pond where we were hunting. "I'm gonna sneak over the bank and get a couple", he said, and he did. He brought back 2 muscovy ducks that came down for a swim from the farm up the road. Needless to say he was not invited back.

tinner

Reaction score
dove hunting in niland with my father-in-law and some other relatives. there were 6 of us in a big motor home. it was starting to get dark and nobody has heard from papa all afternoon. so we grab a couple of beers and head off in the direction that he normally goes. comming around the bend in the road we see papa sitting in his chair gun across his lap elbows on the gun sleeping. we get a little closer to him and discover that he has been asleep for alot longer than the three or four minutes that he claimed, as evident by the bird poop on his gun and leg.    

Duke

Reaction score
My grandpa was hiking on day I think in Idaho.  He sat down on a log and he saw two squirrels were chasing each other.  They ran toward him across the log up one side of his pack and down the other.

ONESHOT

Reaction score
During 1992 fall deer archery season I had a hen fly in about 60 yards from my treestand.  I grabbed my mouth call (hens are legal during the fall in Illinois) and called her in until she was about 40 yards away.

I shot my FIRST arrow, it landed at her feet.  She moved about 3 feet to the left.  My SECOND arrow ruffled the feathers on her back.  Still she stayed in almost the same place.  My THIRD (and last arrow from my quiver) nicked a tree limb and went way left.

Figuring I would go collect my arrows, scare her away and finish deer hunting, I started to climb down from my stand.  As I decended I made a few yelps.  Confused, she decided to fly up into the tree next to me.  I gathered two arrows and started walking back when she flew down into a nearby creek and hid.

I spotted her about 10 yards away and FINALLY sent an arrow through her back.

That was my first turkey ever, and last hen I will ever shoot unless we get overpopulated.  Not quite the same as outsmarting an old gobbler.

Oneshot (I know...Fourshot)

(Edited by ONESHOT at 2:34 am on Dec. 24, 2001)

ONESHOT

Reaction score
Wild Turk,

I had a similar experience with a hawk dive bombing me while was Spring Turkey Hunting.  By the time I saw him he was about 10 yards away and closing fast.  The only thing I could do was move my head a little to the side.  He saw that movement and aborted the landing.  Man, I thought he was going to claw my eyes out.

KIDKY

Reaction score
Just  last spring i was turkey hunting with the father-in-law.  We had a jake decoy out and about 3 hen decoys.  We were staked out under a few cedar trees waiting on the sun to come up so we could start calling.  Finally about 10-15 minutes after first light we start calling a little, as i'm glassing the trees and surrounding area for a gobbler, Roger (my dad-in-law) nudges me with his foot and points off to my left.  i turn and see a man and his son fully camoed and the man is nudging his boy in the arm and i'm wondering #1: what the hell are they doing here, we were the only people with permission to hunt here. and #2: why is he nudging him in the arm - they're just decoys.  While i'm the rookie over here trying to figure everything out, her dad already knows what is about to happen.  BLAM!! BLAM, BLAM, BLAm!!

Crazy fool and his kid shot all three hen decoys and didn't even shoot the jake - the only legal one in the spring here in KY.  I'm trying to figure out what's going on, her dad is ABSOLUTELY laughing his head off.  The 2 perpetrators (after all, they WERE NOT supposed to be hunting there) were speechless.  I think they were too tore up about what happened (or quite possibly just too rude) to even apologize to Roger for shooting his decoys.  After they left Roger says "i've been wanting some new decoys anyway, now i got an excuse to go get me some".  The guy that shot his decoy works at the factory with Roger, and has since become the 'butt' - how appropriate - of many jokes - thanks for reading

STR8SHTR

Reaction score
I was turkey hunting two years ago.  I had two birds at once coming in.  One from the right front and the other from behind.  I could tell the one from behind was a jake.  I was hoping I could work the front bird into gun range, before the jake got to me.  Well I got the front bird.  After I shot I ran to the bird from the front to make sure he was down.  The jake kept on gobbling.  I looked up and saw the jake standing were I had been sitting and he was still gobbling.  Well, I gobbled back with just my mouth. Well, he gobbled back looking right at me, with me standing in the edge of a field we did this for several minutes with me standing there in disbelief and laughing between gobbles.  Well I gathered my decoys and picked up my bird and he still was standing there gobbling.  I started walking back to my setup to retrieve my calls and spent shell and the whole way back he just stood there and gobbled at me and I would gobble back.  Well I got to within ten yards of him before he moved on and while he was leaving, he was still gobbling.  Where's your video camera when you need it.

Top Bottom