Welcome and brief bio

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I'd like to welcome all you varmint hunters here. How about a quick bio from everyone? My name is Jesse and I live in Southern California. I like to hunt coyotes, bobcats and ground squirrels. Right now I'm just using my Rem 870 and borrowing my buddies rifles on hunts. I'd like to get me a nice dedicated varmint rifle here soon. I have a gob of mouth calls, Circe, Lohman etc. and would really like to get my hands on a Fox Pro or Johnny Stewart electronic caller. How about everyone else?

D

Dhunter1

Jesse, I've been chasing Coyotes for 2 years.  One of the hardest critters to call once they have been exposed to callers in the past.  This time of year in IL. it is limited to daylight hunts so it gets even tougher.  I have had success with distress calls, no luck with sqeekers or coyote howlers yet.  I am looking at using a electronic caller myself since it was legalized in this state last year.  The coyote population seems to be increasing thus small game has been decreasing.  I started hunting them after bowhunting deer one evening.  I shot a small buck and didn't get the hit I wanted.  I tracked him for about an hour and a half as it was getting dark.  When I finally got to him I discovered the coyotes had beat me to the downed deer.  His leg was mutalated and they were still hanging around. I tagged and dragged what was left of the carcuss back to the truck and they followed at a distance.
I couldn't believe that they weren't afraid when prey was involved.  Since then I have hunted them mainly when deer season  slows in the winter.  I have nailed 2 this year.  Iv'e been lucky shooting them at close range with a 22, but I would love to get my hands on 22-250 with a good scope.  We can use a spotlight during Fox season, I have a hand held red lens spotlight I use and when its off I use a night vision scope to help locate them.

rusman66

Reaction score
My Name is Russ and I live in Southern California, I like to Hunt coyotes and bobcats & quail and rabbits. I just recently purchased a bow, so I hope to do some deer hunting. Archery season is my favorite.
                                 God Bless and be safe.

gtbait

Reaction score
Jesse, Dhunter, I've chased Coyotes in the homeland of you two. Either with a shotgun, bow or hounds. Living here in So.Cal the local deserts are the domain now of some well tuned Coyotes. Night time hunting during waterfowl season or during a fishing trip to the Salton Sea will usually roust one or two. Last years total fell to just 8, yet one of those was with a 2in. .38. Bye the way, a howler, pup in distress and muted Cottontail call will spark a gobble or two!

D

Dhunter1

Gtbait, thanks for the advice about the gobbler responding.  I will give it a try.

goatman

Reaction score
Deerhunter was right when he said yotes are up in #'s in IL. We hunt them with hounds every weekend. Being doing this for 25 years now. Got a late start this year do to ice on the snow. Hard on dogs feet. So starting in Jan. we took 60+ yotes up to last week. Even though we take several every year more replace them. Popular cartridge is .22-250,.243,.222. Everyone is up against a very wise animal. The blond ones are not as rare anymore and one was taken that was black. Happy yodeling ;)

overdrawn

Reaction score
Russ...congrats on the new bow, sure you will enjoy many a deer hunt with it. I have been bow hunting now for 5 yrs. want to do some coyote hunting with a bow, my only concern and I think a legit one is using a distress call and calling in a lrg. cat. I live in the hi-desert of s. california E. of San berdoo mtns, anyone know of some areas that would provide a good hunt for me, along the same lines I would like to put my new quad to good use
Happy Hunting

hntndux

Reaction score
I live in the Sacramento area and like to shoot ground squirrels and praire dogs(wyoming).  Since I don't do alot of varmit hunting I purchased a Savage 112BVSS in .223 and I've been extremly happy with it other than the trigger which I'll have replaced within the next month or so...

rusman66

Reaction score
Hey overdrawn I also live in the high desert (Hesperia). I have called coyotes in the San Bernardino NF around the silverwood area, some nice bobcats too.  Never called any Mt Lions at least that I know of. There are ohv areas around the silverwood lake area also. I ride my xr400 there sometimes.  Anyway good luck and be safe.

H

Honkin Honky

i live in southern california, and i havent had the chance of taking too many coyotes down here.  my main problem was finding somewhere to go.  i know i can just go out to the desert somewhere, but it always helps when you have an area to choose from... well, ive taken a fair share of dogs up in montana.  im sure its a little easier up there, since there isnt so much pressure put on them.  i like to use a cottontail in distress call, hasnt failed me yet, so i have no need to change it.  i use my dads .223 when im in montana, but if i take one down here, its gonna be with the rem. 870, since thats all i got.  im looking forward to taking a bobcat next year too.

hunter mike

Reaction score
Hi, I live in Redding, CA.  I have hunted deer the last few years in the B and C zones.  This year I will put in for X-4.  I am going to start varmint hunting as well.  I am taking my first hunting trip to Surprise Valley this weekend.  I would be glad to accept any advise for norcal hunting areas, etc.  I am somewhat inexperienced to the sport.  I haven't really got a varmint rifle either.  I will go with a .22, SKS, and possibly use my .270 until I get a varmint gun or find a combo that works for me.

Bou

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
My name is John and I'm fairly new to all types of hunting. Never been coyote hunting but am thinking of trying it soon. Gonna try a ditressed cottontail or jackrabbit. My inlaws want me to weed out some of their yotes up North. BTW I'm in S. Cal also. Might be neat if some of us S.Cal guys can try to go out and varmit hunt together sometime.

doghouse

Reaction score
Hi all, My name is Paul, and I live south of Red Bluff.  I hunted yoties many years ago up around Chester.  I'll be hunting them next winter in the foothills east of here.

hyrider

Reaction score
My name is David, I live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas, central part of California. I am lucky enough to be able to hunt coyotes from my back yard. I Just recently purshased Savage 110 heavy barrel .223.  I grew up hunting with hounds for coons, bobcats and bears and I am just old enough to have done a little bit of mount lion hunting. And now besides the coyotes I hunt deer, turkeys and pigs. This is the first time I have read a forum like this, this is great!

Fubar

Reaction score
Welcome Hyrider        What area do you hunt turkeys? Turkeys are my favorite. I have some friends in Turlock and Mariposa. Are you near there?        Fubar

hyrider

Reaction score
Just south, I hunt on public lands east of Fresno BLM and Forest Service.  I have been hunting Turkeys for three years, the first year never heard a bird, the second year, I had one talk to me on opening day. This year we had birds talking to us every time I went out.  I havn't had one come all the way in yet! But I sure love calling them.  This is the reason why I have started calling coyotes.

Archer1

Reaction score
Howdy ya'll  man this thing is sounding like a AA meeting*L* Hi My name is Austin and I have a addiction to varmint hunting....From the great state of Texas home to some great varmint hunting got to say bobcats and coyotes are my favorites but coons are taken often.  Haven't had a chance to chase fox yet although we do have a few of em. We Use a homemade electoronic call as well as a few mouth calls Haydel's baby jack Burnam Bro's Black max and a few others.  Most used tapes are woodpecker, cottontail distress and coon pups

(Edited by Archer1 at 6:57 pm on July 2, 2001)

Fubar

Reaction score
Archer1    Welcome to the Forum. Thats a nice pic. I like Varmint huntin too but I am a turkey nut.         Fubar

(Edited by Fubar at 9:38 pm on July 2, 2001)

Steve K

Reaction score
Been hunting Varmints up here in the High Desert (California City to Mono Lake)for quite a few years now.  Mostly Coyote few Bobcats.  Do most of my spotting during Deer season then go back during the winter and early spring then give them a break to raise there pup's.  Have often thought about trying to get some kind of informal hunting club going.  Curious if any body has the same thought?

A

Ashley Wolf

I like to hunt coyotes over anyting else.Quail and dove are up there also.Live in So Kal and always looking for a new spot.Just got a dog which makes it all that much more fun.Been a member of high desert  predator callers  for three years and enjoy coyotes more every year.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom