Welcome to the new board

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to the upland game forum. My name is Jesse and I hunt mostly in southern California for dove, chukars and quail. Chukars kill me from the climbing and I guess I like quail hunting best. Quail season was pretty good here last fall, several trips helped fill the freezer.

For a shotgun I still lug around my old trusty Rem 870. The birds have nothign to fear from me

What are you favorite animals to hunt? Doves, quail, rabbits? What kind of shotgun do you have and do you have a dog to hunt with? How was last year's hunt  in your part of the state?

BigDog

Reaction score
I also use an 870 most of the time. I just got my S & W autoload repaired so I may start lugging it around some this year. Pheasant is the only upland I have hunted in years. Quail just got too sparse for me to bother. I have a yellow Lab that has a good lineage and it shows. She would have champion titles if I had the time and if that mattered to me.

rusman66

Reaction score
I hunt quail and dove here in southern Ca, I have an old J.C. Higgins 12 Ga. pump. I use two dogs to hunt: my left foot and my right foot. I guess thats why I don't hunt chukar. Ive seen chukar while motorcycle riding in the stoddard wells area. Go figure?  Good Luck and Hunt Safe.

D

Desert Duck

I am new here, but so far, from what I see, this is gonna' be the best hunt-page that I have joined to date! I am particularlly interested in the So. Cal. info . OK, I admit that I am a waterfowler 1st...but the dove season is what brings me to life after the long layoff! The Imperial Valley still becons to me during the hot and humid month of Sept. Although my season actually begins in August (pre-season scouting is a ritual for me). My old pointer can no longer make the trek with me due to her aging bones-she has had her last season and now we share only fond memories together, as I stroke her muzzle and gaze into her drooping eyes. It will be difficult to replace her. At any rate, I truly look forward to an enduring and prosperous membership on this site!

Q

QuailChaser

Desert Duck,

What are you looking to hunt? There are some good places that are about 1 hour out of LA for Dove and Quail..Now, Duck that's differnet story, being that most of the local places to hunt Duck's this year were not so great..So, if you would like some info. drop me a line..

QuailChaser
"Rob"

Megadeth

Reaction score
I hunt N.Ca for doves,and pheasant. I used to use the dog alot, but the star thistles tear her up. It seems that star thistle gets a good stranglehold of an area, and destroys it for the wildlife that lives there. Enough of that. I had a great dove season and  a mediocre pheasant season. The upcoming season looks fantastic.

mtngoat

Reaction score
I like to hunt chukar and mountian quail. I had a few good mountain quail hunts along the uppr big tujunga cyn. in the angeles national forrest. I've been hunting mtn. quail for only the last two seasons, but have hunted chukar for about 6 years in the ord mtns. Goat spring has produced the most birds overall. I don't really know of any other places to hunt mtn. quail or chukar. However i found a lot of mountain quail in the deep creek area while looking for turkeys.(and not one sign of a turkey). I don't hesitate giving locations of mtn. quail and chukar because the terrain is so rough and steep the birds never really get to much pressure. I don't have a dog but want to get a springer spaniel. My biggest problem in hunting upland game in the southern cali area is finding downed birds. mainly valley quail, somtimes chuckar. A retriever would be more useful for the areas i hunt. I have no problem getting on to birds. I'm 24 and 145 lbs. mountains are not a big problem with those dimensions. I carry a berreta 686 12# over and under with an open choke and modified choke respectively, its light. I prefer high base 7 1/2 shot with 1 1/4 oz. For both chukar and mtn. quail and valley quail from mid season to the end. If any one knows where to get mtn. quail, chuckar, and valley quail in the same area I would appreciate the tips.
(excuse the spelling and gramatical errors)  

hronk

Reaction score
I live in the Eastern Sierra and love to chase Chukar.  Last year was poor up hear but very good for Mtn Quail.  I do a lot of bow hunting for Deer and Elk and spend as much time as ican in Dec/Jan chasing Honkers.  I use a Browning BPS in 10 & 12 guage and an 870 in 20.  I have 3 Labs, 12, 7 and 1 1/2 yrs old and they all hunt or have hunted most of their lives.  The young one is possibly going to be a cut above...  This time of year I spend a lot of time Trout fishing, mostly with a fly rod.....hronk

Bou

Reaction score
I hunted Raahauges this year for pheasant. It was fun though the pheasant weren't that big. Used a Bennelli 20 ga. Hope to get an upland game dog sometime soon to try the quail.

BGH831

Reaction score
First year this year I also carry a remington 870 super express chambered for 3.5". Looks like it's going to be a good year though can't wait for the September 1st

Jesus

Reaction score
Hello the name is Jesus
I hunt in SJV mostly around Tulare County. Upland birds I hunt are dove and quail. Hoping to try out Pheasants and waterfowl this year.I dont have a dog yet but interested in getting one. THe guns I use are Remington pump guns A express and a wingmaster. Last years hunt was awesome
I had the priviledge of hunting dove and quail it was my first year too. Really got hooked.

Nipple Twister

Reaction score
Mostly Dove for me as well, although I have been known to be talked in to a quail hunt now and then..........got a Mossburg 500 for my 18 birthday and have been usin' it ever since. Save all the high dollar one for competing with!

See ya all out there Weds morn......

John

Latest Posts

Top Bottom