Welcome to the new Traditional Muzzleloader forum

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to the new Traditional Muzzleloader forum.

Please tell us a little about yourself and your muzzleloader.

Who taught you how to shoot a muzzleloader?

Do you hunt with your muzzleloader?

Please post your pics too if you have them to show off your smokepole.

FTTPOW

Reaction score
As my handle implies, I shoot flintlocks. Fttpow is the sound it makes when I touch to trigger. I'm from Ohio and am a proud member of the Shawnee Long Rifles Club and a life member of the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association. I compete at my local club, have traveled to other clubs in the region, plus I've shot at the Nationals in Friendship, Indiana of and on since 1982. I shoot both primitive and line matches, all off-hand. I was mentored by two of the best and most knowlegable shooters in Black Powder, Terry Morgan and Don Warner. I hunt deer and have hunted bear and small game with muzzleloaders. I shoot a .45 fullstock and have a .36 fullstock, .58 tradegun, .45 pistol all in flint, plus I have a .40 halfstock percussion that was built for my sons for when they were getting started.

quigleysharps4570

Reaction score
Been shooting blackpowder since 1975. A friend at work had a .45 Kentucky long rifle that he'd put together from a kit. Bought one myself and put it together, been shooting every since. Mostly self taught, whatever books and magazines I could get ahold of at the time. By the way, all of mine have always been percussion. Shot that Kentucky till I replaced it with a .58 Hawken, Val Forgett had an article that inspired that purchase. He'd taken a Navy Arms .58 to Africa and used it to drop everything on the continent. Course me being a young guy at the time, I had to have one. Then came the revolver stage, think I've owned 4 or 5 of them. Now I'm down to one, it's a 1860 Army replica in .44 cal.. The rifle I shoot and hunt with now is a .50 Hawken. Still use blackpowder, Swiss or Goex. Don't use that replica crap. Well thats about it guys. Been shooting the stuff for a day or two.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
I started shooting blackpowder about 1984-1985, when I picked up a CVA 12ga side-by-side. Started out loading for ducks (you could still shoot lead), but I wasn't real thrilled with the results.

Started shooting skeet with it, though, and a convert was born! The next fall, I shot some doves with it, then started loading "punkin' balls" for deer. The thing never was real accurate beyond 25 yards with those, or with buckshot, so it quickly retired as a deer gun.

A few years later, I picked up my .50 cal Cabelas Red River Hawken, to take advantage of the early ML season in North Carolina. Nothing fancy, a budget gun, but it shoots pretty good out to 50-75 yards. Still haven't killed a deer with it, though. Missed two consecutive bucks the second season I had it, and haven't had an opportunity for a shot since.

I've only hunted with it twice since moving to CA, once on a hound hunt for hogs and once hunting hogs at Camp Roberts. I mostly just shoot it for fun at the range now, although I'm giving some thought to taking it to CO for elk.

Pretty much self-taught. I read up a bit, but at the time it was pretty hard to find anything about muzzleloading shotguns. By the time I got the Hawken, I just started messing around until I found a load that worked.

Johnnie REb

Reaction score
I started muzzleloading about 4 years ago and got addicted. I don't even shoot my other guns anymore. I own a T/C 50 cal. Renegade and T/C 54 cal. hawken. I enjoy hunting with my muzzleloaders or just going to the range.
I'm a civil war enthusiast.

inchr48

Reaction score
Welcome to JHO!

Here's my 50 cal Renegade:

[attachment=55000:Renegade_Right.jpg]

Attachments

Johnnie REb

Reaction score
Hey Inchr48 That is one fine lookin Muzzleloader.
I'll send ya a picture of my Renegade, if I can figure out how to do it.

Fisherking

Reaction score
Hi I got into M/L at my gun club we had a preaty active B/P following but has sort of died off. Hopefully I can regenerate some intrest in it.I started into M/L about 5 years ago and hunting with one 3 years ago, White tail. The last two years I was using my T/C Hawkens and I have taken 3 dear with it useing Patched round ball but I found acurasy out past 50 yrds alittle iffy with the 1/48 so I have bought a Lyman Great plains Riffle in .54 Cap this year for the heaver ball and the 1/60 twist. I also have a GPR .54 in flint but I hesitate to use it for hunting because I'm not quite as proficiant with it as with the cap guns, plus we usualy have wet snow were we go hunting for the controled M/L hunt.
Our controled hunt starts this year Nov.30-Dec4.
I have learnd most of my stuff from forums like this, reading and experimantation.
Regards Fisherking

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to JHO, Fisherking! :wavin hello:

Top Bottom