Well could be in for a long day in Santa Barbara

pennywise67

Reaction score
The inevitable happened last night, a brush fire broke out in the mountain above SB (Goleta actually). Manadatory evacuations for Glenn annie and La Patera canyon and Evacuation warnings North of Cathedral oaks to Fairview. My home is safe but alot of coworkers and work could be in a heap of trouble They are calling for 50+mph winds today coming out of the canyons. That means straight into Goleta. The last time this happened was the Painted Cave Fire in 90. Which was almost 18 years ago to the day, and the only thing that stoped that was the Pacific. Keep us in mind today, and GO get em Firefighters!!!! You guy's are the best

-Larry

NatureDriven

Reaction score
Wishing you, your friends, and coworkers all the best. Good luck! If anything happens and anyone you know needs food or clothes, let us know. I would be more than willing to help.

MULEY51

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Here's hoping the winds change and you all make out ok.

Gunslingergirl

Reaction score
I'll definitely keep a good thought for everyone out there. California needs some major rain to put out the fires.

GSG

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
We won't get rain until November.... Mediterranean climate.

Add some Santa Ana winds in October to this already scary sitch, and might just be nastier than anyone can imagine.

redneck79

Reaction score
yea, My son, brother, and brother in law are all fireman for cal-fire. They have not had a day off in a month or so. It's going to be a bad one. All days off are canceled.

Raully

Reaction score
I remember the Painted Cave fire like it was yesterday. If I remember right it was something like 600 structures lost in 90 minutes. This is not good. Hopefully the winds cooperate. This might cancel my A-zone trip and I just got my vacation approved. I was born and raised in Santa Barbara and have seen them fires get out of hand quick.

pennywise67

Reaction score
Well so far the wind has cooperated. The fire is still out of control, but weather conditions are supposed to turn for the better. If there was a time one every one wants a cold foggy 4th with a stiff onshore breeze this is it. Last night we had a major power outage due to the smoke, coupled with the fire buring upslope in 20' high scrub oak causing 30-50' flames got everyones heart racing. But the sun is up, and that means the air support can get back at it.

-Larry

deadducks

Reaction score
Whats the latest on the fire conditions?

Hope you all are doing well.

My mom is up the road a bit in Nipomo. I was planning on going up there this weekend but not now.

Dan

pennywise67

Reaction score
We are still doing well. They are evacuating Winchester canyoun and Camino Cielo right now. Fire is less than a mile from homes, but the winds are cooperating!! The Heli and ground crews arew attacking it, and units are in place for structure efforts. If the sundowners can hold off after dark, it will give every one a chance. The onshore flow is supposed to strengthen tomorrow, so that would push it away from goleta back up the hills.

Raully

Reaction score
Do they know what caused it. Is the forest closed up there?

pennywise67

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (raully @ Jul 3 2008, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Do they know what caused it. Is the forest closed up there?[/b]
It stated on West Camino Cielo near the Winchester Gun Club, and all they say it was caused by man. As for the forest being closed, the LP on the other side of 154 is still open. The winds picked up around 9pm tonight, and the Evac zone was widened. Just got back from helping some friends get out. There are some unconfirmed reports that there were houses lost at the end of North Fairview. Thsi fire is now the #1 priority in the state, the resources are pouring in. We went from 250 firefighters last night to close to 700 late tonight. Steady stream of them pouring in, and some BIG dozers. They make a D9 look small. Time to get some sleep.

-Larry

Latest Posts

Top Bottom