Were do they sell birds?

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
I am looking for a place in So. Cal. were they sell birds so that I can train my lab.

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
There's ussually a add in Western Outdoors News for someone who sells pheasants and chukers in the Rancho Cacumonga area.  Also, at the Prado dog training field there's ussually someone there selling pidgeons.  Another spot to check would be the Chino Auction.  It's a open air market, swap meat, and livestock auction.  All kinds of birds and animals there.

Bill W

Reaction score
Call around to feed stores for pigeons.  By the way, my experience is that pigeons are the generally the best choice.  They are good flyers and cheap.  The pen raised bobwhites and chukar I've used don't fly well enough and my dog caught quite a few.

Bill

Mojave

Reaction score
Lancaster Sales Yard (auction) sells pidgeons every Saturday morning, along with their poultry and small animal sale. They often have Coturnix quail, and these sell for very reasonable prices. Occasionally, they will have Chukar, Guineas and Pheasant, but I'm not sure of the legality of training with these, without a Breeders permit, and they are usually pricey. I agree that the Pidgeons or Guineas will be the best choice for flyers.

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
Guys,

Thanks for the info. I have been to prado but it cost around $3.50 for a damn pigeon and then it cost you $9.00 to get in. I usually go with a few friends so it usually cost us about $45.00 just to get in excluding the birds. I was wondering if I can go to the National Forest and do it there for free.

Whoadog

Reaction score
 You need to get a dog training permit from F&G for about $5 and you can train in National Forest and many other places.  I do a lot of my summer training, after July 1, at Gray Lodge and you can't beat the terrain.  If you were closer I would give you the pigeons.

Brian

Swiss Lad

Reaction score
A recall pen, some feed, and a place with a lot of pigeons usually provide more than can be used.  Those with nuisance pigeons welcome you.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom