Westarn Birds newsletter by Jim Matthews is going digital.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
If you dont know about the newsletter it's the best info for socal upland bird hunting. Great maps and gps coordinates to tons of guzzlers, helpful tips and current news like forest road closures.

They only downside is the price, $150 a year or $270 for 2 years. To help ease that bill get 3 or 4 buddies to go in together. No more driving long distances and hoping to see some quail or chukar. Finding water sources is the key.

Jim's email is [email protected]

20191115_125851.jpg
20191115_125843.jpg

Stevehazard

Reaction score
I already have close to 600 SoCal guzzlers mapped out on to google. Found most of them the hard way. Wonder how may gaps I have. I don't think people know about some of them because so are thrashed.

How many guzzlers does he have mapped out? I remember something in the past of him having zones, like MNP, Carrizo, etc. It'd be nice if we could make a comprehensive map of all of them in the state, condition, etc.

Limited Out

Reaction score
That amount of data should keep you shooting a long ways into the future. I have a lot of data on Google Earth Maps. It took a lot of years to develop it.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Jim has the most extensive list out there. If you want to pass on the ones you know of that are thrashed he can coordinate the local QU group to see if they can repair them. Thx

pilgrimbizket

Reaction score
I really do not care for him, he does not do the footwork like he used to.

For instance his forecast is based off of calling a bunch of people then posting what they say including their name with out asking for permission to share that info that was intended for just him. A real easy way to burn bridges.

All the QF chapters I have spoke with and helped despise the guy.

Harold Horner is more liked.

Stevehazard

Reaction score
I passed on some info before about several of them an Upland foundation member, Cjack actually, and they got fixed by SGQU and another by VQU. Some I haven't passed the info on yet because I have found more on maps that are most likely broken but haven't been up to them in person to confirm condition or if they are even a guzzler. If there is 5 broken in an area I'd like to inform them about all of them instead of them getting things organized, going up there, fixing them, getting materials, etc then going oh yeah by the way there are some more broken ones a mile away from that one that got fixed after the fact. The two that got fixed by SGQU were next to each other and I've since discovered a third... that is only an collection apron.

Also a good number are in the wilderness of MNP which they would like to fix but the NPS isn't allowing it. In other wilderness areas I'm not sure how that would work... i don't know if BLM would give permission of if they'd make people drag materials out with a mule or what.

And have no clue who would do the work in places like Carrizo or Panoche Hills.

Stevehazard

Reaction score

For instance his forecast is based off of calling a bunch of people then posting what they say including their name with out asking for permission to share that info that was intended for just him. A real easy way to burn bridges.

I noticed up there where he asked people to not share the info with people, that they pay too dearly to share... or he may not make income from them?

Not that I would be wanting to share my info but that information not being reasonable accessible is part of the reason why we have so many in disrepair. People don't care about what they do not know exists. I've only come across 1 broken guzzler in NV that makes the locations of 1700+ reasonable accessable. That one broken one is an old one not even on their list.

pilgrimbizket

Reaction score
Most guzzlers that have been put in in the past 20 years have been done by QF someone knows about them.

The fish and game stopped installing guzzlers 30+ years ago. Those are the ones that may be "forgotten"

garlicsalt

Reaction score
Jim has the most extensive list out there. If you want to pass on the ones you know of that are thrashed he can coordinate the local QU group to see if they can repair them. Thx
Aren't you Jim Matthews?

Limited Out

Reaction score
As far as all my data/waypoints are concerned it is just spots I have hunted or seen concentrations of birds. Any time I come across a covey, flyway, roost trees, or food sources it goes into the GPS. I have a lot of waypoints on the Salton Sea where we have set-up on opening day or hunted out of our boat blind on both the north and south ends. I think there are a few fishing spots in it as well. About 15 years worth of info mostly from the I.V.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score

I've been around a few quail orgs, leon lesicka and cliff mcdonalds crews too and never heaed any of them bashing jim. You're entitled to your opinion though. As far as horner is concerned, I highly doubt that. Maybe you missed the horner hounds post on here from years back by DA vic stull.

Stevehazard

Reaction score
As far as all my data/waypoints are concerned it is just spots I have hunted or seen concentrations of birds. Any time I come across a covey, flyway, roost trees, or food sources it goes into the GPS. I have a lot of waypoints on the Salton Sea where we have set-up on opening day or hunted out of our boat blind on both the north and south ends. I think there are a few fishing spots in it as well. About 15 years worth of info mostly from the I.V.
I do the same. The more info I put into a map the more patterns, routes, etc. will begin to emerge. I have discovered that I'm able to find things I have not been to or spotted on a map by looking at logical "gaps" in the info I already have marked and essentially predicting where things will be. I like that the google maps let you organize things in layers that you can turn on of off, otherwise some of my stuff would become too cluttered.

If your not doing this sort of thing as a hunter now days you should start.

Reaction score
I just subscribed a few months ago after doing everything the hard way. I think his magazine is good not only for spots to add to the library but get out info about the guzzlers that need repairs.

I went to one of his seminars a few years ago to get one of his calls and he mentioned something interesting. He said there is plenty of hunting in CA even if he gives out all the spots. I believe this to be true. When I go out to various areas throughout the year you see a lot of hunters for the first couple weeks, then after that are only the diehards bird hunter. I see the same few vehicles if not any other hunters out in December and January.

Anyways, I enjoy reading it and will keep them for future reference. I still do my pre season scouting though which always seems to help out finding Where the birds are. It’s been published since the 1990’s so there is a lot info.

Top Bottom