Wetland destruction

feelinducky

Reaction score
Ok time to vent a little.  I've got this cool little tule pond behind my house.  All winter there have been pheasants, honkers, and ducks galore out there.  There are a few beavers that have set up camp and made a dam that has provided these birds a nice little refuge.  So this morning I hear what sounds like chain saws outside my window.  I look out there and the California Conservation Corps is ripping out the beaver dam to drain the wetlands.  Man I got pissed.  I went down there to ask them why they were ripping out the beaver dam and they said it was so they could build more houses.(which is wrong because its supposed to be a protected wetlands)  No one had a clue.  So I called the DFG to see  if they could get them to stop.  Well they didn't stop and now it is just a mud hole out there.  The most frustrating thing about it was these people found it funny when the beavers were swimming around trying to figure out what is going on.  No respect whatsoever.  So anyway go ahead and subtract one more wetland from the list, and add one more to the destroyed list.  I hope I am wrong about it being destroyed I guess time will tell.  One funny thing though is I'm watching these people in cheap plastic waders wading across the pond and two of them stepped in a hole and flooded their waders.:drowning:

Megadeth

Reaction score
The state of Ca. never suprises me with their lame ass decisions on habitat,ecology,conservation,etc. The Ca. Conservation Corps has absolutley nothing to do with conservation at all. Everything they come in contact with, they destroy. They spray pesticides, fertilizer, and noxious chemicals all over the place and then go bitching and complaining about water quality. The state is largely responsible for a large portion of wetlands loss along with a slough of other complaints, while Ma nature sits back and tries to regeneraqte what has been lost. They should be held liable for any wetlands lost in the past and the future. What particularly peeves me is the lack education these individuals have that effects each and every one of us. What really goes thru the mind of some fella driving a tractor, spraying Round -Up next to a drainage ditch for 30+ miles that leads into a drainage creek that harbors salmon, steelhead, etc. Cal Trans is also a major contributor  of habitat destruction,loss. They should all be held directly accountable for the hundreds of millions of dollars in habitat that has been deestroyed. The freeways are falling apart so what do they focus on, the weeds on the side of the roadway. Its absolutley ridiculous and should be addressed. None of these state agencies give a crap about our habitat, and its about time they PAY.

Jay

Reaction score
Take some pictures and go to the local paper. If it is a protected wildland the press will have a field day with it.

Maybe you'll force the corp to come back and help the beavers rebuild their dam.

feelinducky

Reaction score
Pictures, not a bad idea! The beavers are already back at it.  The pond which is closest to me is almost back into shape but the pond up above is still a mud hole.  

Megadeth, I agree with you that CCC and Cal Trans should be held responsible.  

Drake Slayer

Reaction score
They are probably ripping it out to protect houses not build more. That is the excuse that is used. I work for the city and you wouldn't believe the number of people that get concerned for their homes when they see a beaver dam.I would rather see the dams removed in the fall if necessary and left in the spring to provide brood nesting.

Advertisement

Top Bottom