Whack'm Wednesday

Wino

Tuesday night I figured out I had no issues at work to take care of so I asked my newly licensed to hunt friend (Joe) if he wanted to go on a long hike with the occasional chance to shoot a squirrel on Wednesday. He was up for it and the next morning with a 17hmr and 17wsm in tow we head up to the mountains way above Hesperia. After parking his 4runner we hiked a short distance over a ridge and started glassing rock piles and around anything that might hold a squirrel. Didn't take me long to find the first on sitting on a rock 136 yards out. I offered Joe the chance to shoot first but he declined and told me to go ahead. So I found the squeak in the scope of my 17wsm and let one fly. Now Joe owns several firearms. Most are ARs. He also has one high end 25 cal pcp air rifle. He's killed a few pests (rats and squirrels) in his backyard before with said air rifle. But he's never seen a squirrel get turn inside out and send fly through the air before. He had this look of shock on his face that was classic. As he was laughing I said get on your gun (actually my gun he was using), that shot made another one get on a rock to look for danger. He found it and right before he pulled the trigger the squeak did one of my favorite things. He stood up facing us to get a better look. The 17hmr hit him right in the gut and literally popped him. A few minutes later Joe comments to me that this day going to cost him a lot of money. "Now I'm gonna have to go get me one of these types guns" he said. The rest of the day was just hike a little, find a few, shoot them and move on. The last on Joe got was a toad of a squirrel. It as a great shot at 146 yards with the 17hmr. You see it in the picture. I put it my 10x50 binos next to it as a size reference. I think we only got 8 but it was fun.

Wino

TheGDog

146? Nice!

Maybe now go back there and call for Predators? I wondered about that. I was thinking it'd probably be a good idea to go back to an area I popped squeeks in the weekend before and do some calling there. Figure predators probably roamed thru afterward and cleaned 'em up? So figured in their minds they'd be curious to include that area in their patrols for some number of days afterward, what do you guys ya think?

Man... I'm going with the boy on a scouts thing this weekend, but not gonna lie... you guys are makin' me jones for poppin' the squeeks, HaHA! My first time was with .223, so now I'm curious to see how the .17 HMR does, since I figure it'll probably be more of an "explosive" impact with those lighter bullets?

Wino

You know it's wierd. Sometime they pop and sometimes its just a hole thru and thru. It think the gut shot on a full belly really tears them open.
As we were leaving the area the turkey buzzards and ravens were already cleaning up the evidence so I don't think the yotes had anything left to look at.

mezcan

I’m overdue . Thanks for the post. Might try to revisit the field of death this week!

Top Bottom