What a GREAT time in Baja

BigDog

Reaction score
Man, did we have a great time in Baja!!!!!! And my wife kicked my behind as far as fishing went. Thursday, we got the orientation, picked out our kayak, went through gear setups and techniques with the guide and of course drank some margaritas.
Friday and Saturday were almost identical. We paddle out about two miles pulling lures behind us. Got a few hits here and there. Mainly needle fish but also a few Skip Jack Tuna. Then the Panga came along and supplied us with live Sardinias. Baiting up with those, we would lower them into the water, either weighted and deep or unweighted and near the surface,  and drift. We were catching Dorado and lots of needle fish near the surface. We were catching Skip Jacks, Pompano, Trigger fish, Groupers, and others down deep.
On Sunday morning, we all got into the Panga and while towing the kayaks, we went out about 6 miles. Real deep blue water. We just fed the needle fish while we waited for the Dorado to show up. And, when they did show up, man it was a blast. They are like speed racers just under the surface. You can see them zipping back and forth, all over the place, just a couple feet from you when you are sitting in a kayak. Several times, we would be trying to pull one in on a rod and the other rod would bend in half. We lost more than we caught but we had a blast.
Something that we saw that will stick in our minds forever happened that morning while the Dorado bite was just starting. Peggy was pulling one in while I was nearby taking pictures. I happened to look to my right just in time to see a Marlin launch out of the water. I yelled for everyone to look and we all watched as he proceeded to land and launch four more times. He was chasing a Flying fish, which was running for its life. The flying fish was skipping across the waves just barely touching the crests. This Marlin was right on its tail but getting about two feet of air above the waves, going under and then coming right back out. Amazing.
I would recommend this trip to anyone who wants to have a fun mini vacation fishing. We didn’t get into big tuna like I was hoping for but we kept busy with lots of smaller fish.
And of course, lots of cervesa and margaritas.
I got home at about 10 pm Sunday and had to be in L.A. at 6 am Monday, so I have not gotten the pictures developed yet. I will post some of them as soon as I get them.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
BigDog, Glad to hear your trip was a great one. Once your down there and thing are going great you get that feeling as a kid and you don't want to leave..:cry-green:. Post some pics when you get a chance..

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Sounds as good as I'd imagined, ClickDog!  Maybe next time I can follow you guys down there!  So, when are we grilling mahi-mahi at your place?

BigDog

Reaction score
Well, "we" had mahi-mahi Sunday night after we got home....LOL

We had shashimi down there.

mmmmm mmmmm good.

Top Bottom