What about a tiger pic?

apittet

Reaction score
Greetings to all from a newcomer to the forum!

Since two weeks that Jesse pointed me to this page, I have been hooked and spent most of my time going through many of your postings. A real great place ... it's even more fun to discover it after having spent months developing a simple PIR based camera trap to replace the IR beam cutting system used by our colleagues from the Centre for Ecological Sciences, here at Bangalore, India. We hacked a Taiwan made wireless movement detector used in security systems. Wired it to close the shutter circuit of a 35mm point-and-shot Yashica J-mini through a transistor. It worked like a dream ... we went for field trials in the nearby jungles and got a few good shots. Elephants were our main guests, but we had the great luck to have a tiger for the inauguration at night!

Meet of few of our wild friends at

http://community.webshots.com/album/39353347mIimdo

Thanks to this list I am on the trail for a replacment to the Yashica J-mini as it has gone out of production. It feels a bit funny to be in the company of so many hunters on this forum, while working in a country which has so many endangered species that hunting has been totally banned. But from what I can read in your postings, I guess that our common ground is love for the wild ...

I hope to contribute something more technical to this forum in the future. In the meantime, best regards from India.

Andre

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Great to have you on board. We certainly have, and will enjoy your pictures, and hope you enjoy ours. You were right, we all love wildlife, and while many of us are hunters, we also do much to preserve the same animals we hunt and many more. I will be in an area where Elk were re-introduced into Arkansas in a few weeks, and will try to take some pics and post. They are very majestic animals, but don't hold a candle to your tigers and elephants.

wvhunter

Reaction score
Welcome!  I'm looking forward to seeing pictures from India.

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
Glad to have you around. Thanks for sharing your pics. It is great to see such different animals.

shufigo

Reaction score
Welcome to the site, and thank you for widening our outdoors world.

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Andre >> Welcome to what is no doubt the greatest web site on the web.......

You pictures are awesome. I think everyone on this board share's a love of wildlife. And it shows with the pictures posted and the incredible amount of freeinformation shared.

Your pictures are a great and welcome addition.

Oh yeah, I'm happy to see your the one getting Tiger pic's and not me.......

Great job, thanks for sharing.

Brotherwolf

Reaction score
Welcome to the group! you have really nice photo's! hope to see more!!  Love the elephant pics. Thanks for joining up!

chili

Reaction score
Andre,
    Welcome to the board.  You have some great pics there.  I look forward to your posting.  Do you have a picture of your camera trap?

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
Howdy Andre, welcome to the best site on the internet! You have really nice pictures, I like the tiger and the infant elephant. Do you place your camera's on trail's, or on bait piles? It will be nice to view some pictures that we normally don't get to see!! Again, welcome!!

JoelM

Reaction score
Welcome Andre,

I am sure you will find no shortage of animal lovers here. That and all the great help and free info will overwhelm you. Those are great pictures. We would never get to see them if not for people like us joining and sharing.

Thanks and enjoy

Joel

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Hi Apittet,

Welcome!

We sure appreciate you stopping by and posting those pix's, those 3 elephants in a row is a neat pix too, besides the Tiger.  The guys over here only have to worry about Bears eating camera's.  You got to worry about Elephants eating the tree you got the cam tied too, ha ha

How wild a place is that where you are,  crowded with people or all alone?

I'd like to see a photo of your setup sometime, what PIR did you modify?

Tinhorn

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 apittet,Those are some great pics,I love seeing them,those are pics we dont get to see everyday, so be sure to visit regular and post your pics.We all love the Animals,here and there!!

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
Welcome Apittet! Nice to see the pics of that tiger. Wow!!! I bet you have to be careful checking your cams. Do any of the animals fool with your cameras? Hope you enjoy this site as much as we do. Look forward to seeing more pics from India. LOL  

MBullism

Reaction score
Welcome, Andre..  GREAT pics!  Love to see 'em.

You need not be concerned about being in the presence of hunters.  If not for the input and support of hunters in the US many game (and NON game) species here would be in trouble.

Take care, you're in good company.. This is a great site.

M

LW

Reaction score
Apittet, what's your secret! I have been trying to get a good elephant pic here in Arkansas for over a year,  them critters are just too hard to find around here!! ;-)  Good luck camming, I am looking forward to your future posts...and welcome to JHP. LW

JohnsIslandBoy

Reaction score
Welcome Aboard,

Look forward to seeing lots of picts from you.  great to see some diff animals.

apittet

Reaction score
Whoaaaaa ! what a welcome  ... feels good to be with so many new friends in the woods.

let me pick up a few threads from your replies;

- I had been careful to show only pics obtained with this first trail cam, and no pic of the trail cam itself as it would send you guys rolling down laughing . We were so impatient to check out the system that we  took a shortcut and just assembled the camera and detector, as they are, on an alu plate fixed in ... a 30 liters platic jerrycan with a cutout on the front! It had the advantage of very easy transport, low level set up (one foot from ground) to catch small creatures too, and easy fabrication. We did not even take care to paint the whole stuff and ended up with a palette of colours that should have sent running any sane wild animal. Now that I saw all your camo I am really wandering how our animals agrred to pose for my pics! But with so many hits on packinging available on this forum, we are now hunting for the right box.

- All pics were taken during an elephant census carried out for three days by the forest deartment. We never use any bait for such activities. All pics were taken at the edge of a water point that is regularly visited by number of animals. The procupine pic was taken across a small trail just next to a forest lodge. I am looking at the various requirements of different projects; some will require cams for grazing areas or water holes and may need some time off to avoid killing a roll in a few minutes with the same set of animals. Others will be placed on trails and cannot afford to miss an animal even if it comes within seconds of the previous one. This is typically the case for tiger census, where we need to count and identify each and every individual tiger in a given area.

- I used a  Taiwan made (Aeonstar) wireless PIR that was sold at a discout in Switzerland for about U$ 10. Grabbed the 10 pieces that were left and brought them here in India. Unfortunately this model is now out of production, but we shall find some alternative. BTW the company write to me that they are developing a digicam that will incorporate the PIR trigger. It will be called "Capture", but that's all they could tell.

- yes, walking in our forest with only binoculars and camera presents some risks and every year there are a few casualities, mostly when tribals or farmers encounter rogue elephants. But luckily these are still exceptions and we just hope not to become part of the statistics ! one colleague already lost one cam to an elephant and we almost lost our first one too, as the big bull didn't like much the sound of winding the pics. Luckily he finally gave up his investigation when the flash went off. Another friend who used Trailmaster units lost a few cams to a young tiger who took to chewing them up! One more reason to use trail cams and not direct hand shots, ins't it?!?

- the pics were taken from the forest of Bandipur, Southn India, about 5 hours drive from the city of Bangalore (approx. 6 Mio inhabitants). How wild is it??? As you may guess, Bangalore is  a real wild concrete jungle. India is known to be densely populated ... but we have reasonably large protected forest with very limited human activities. The pics were taken in such forest with limited access.

All for now, have to chase some work for a living... I shall hopefuly take the cam out of the jerycan and be back with a "packaged and camoed" trail cam, in one or two weeks.

Cheers

Andre

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Welcome Andre. Very interesting where you have your camera and the animals there. I bet no one here would have ever imagined seeing tigers or elephants posted.

bigmandude

Reaction score
WOW,

so we have cams in India now.  next thing ya know, we'll be gittin pics of hefalumps and woozels.   yippee

IAbowhunter

Reaction score
It's good to see we as hunters are not the only one chasing mythical creatures, my 190 class deer and the mountian lions and bobcats (that iowa doesn't have) NEED to cross my cams!!!
AGAIN weclome and keep up the good work!

Top Bottom