What about Microwave Motion Detectors.

Pgumby68

Inactive
Reaction score
Microwave detectors send out a signal and look for a return. Moving objects will reflect back some of the energy to set off the detector.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Pg,
Check the specs for power consumption on those units.  All I've seen are over 25+ mA.  Other problem is they will detect ANY fairly solid moving object - not just 'warm-bodied' animals.  Some might find that useful in specific circumstances.
A good use of the microwave detectors is to make a 'hybrid' system (I've got one on the drawing board).  Use a regular passive detector AND a microwave detector.  The passive is on 24/7.  When it detects motion, it powers-up the microwave detector.  Only when BOTH the passive AND microwave detectors have agreed that there is indeed something moving, will a pick be taken.  This virtually eliminates falsing while maintaining low power consumption.

Archilochus

(Edited by Archilochus at 4:23 pm on June 4, 2002)

Pgumby68

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey Arch,
I'd like to see the drawings of that when you get done. I did a little research into that myself , but I'm not that ambitious. Just lazy I guess.

kmitch

Reaction score
Arch,

I've considered doing the same thing. I picked up a geophone that is pretty sensitive. Use the geophone to pick up footsteps and the PIR to pick up the moving heat. The geophone was pretty cheap, $2.50 and probably has $5.00 worth of scrap brass. Only fire the camera when there is a signal from both.

Keith

Latest Posts

Top Bottom