What are the best hunting scopes?

Rookies

Reaction score
What would you recomend?

Is Penta a pretty good brand?

Is burris the same quality as a Leupold?

Are there any other quality scopes to look out for?

arizona hunter

Reaction score
Two years ago I purchased a Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5 x 10 40 mm. (at the time it was only about $350 at Natchez). It is great! It and it's brother the Elite 3200 have Rainguard and it works even better than they claim-and no one else has it. I've used sprays and cloths to coat lenses in the past but this is permanent. oh, and it is rugged.

If I get another rifle and it needs a scope, it will also get an Elite!

Also, the 4200 transmits 95% of the light and the 3200 does 87 %.

Never owneds a Leupold, but friends say they are very good and the customer service is the best.

Two family members have Nikon Monarch and are very pleased with them.

crittergetter

Reaction score
I've had a 3-9 power Leupold for eight years on a 270 that I have carried year round. Even taken a few spills with it. I shoot it from a bench a few times a year and have never needed to make a single adjustment since the first. I would get something higher than 9X next time. That depends on personal preference.

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
You mean someone else makes a scope besides Leupold ?? YIKES!

No, Burris is not even close to a Leupold. It is a good scope however. Price generally tells the story / quality of what you're getting.

I've owned a few different brands over the years and everytime I bought something other than Leupold I (almost) always regretted it.

Good Luck on your search

DKScott

Banned
Reaction score
What kinda rings and bases you put on those Leupolds, Frank?

kphunter

Reaction score
On my Rem 700 BDL SS 30.06 and Leupold 3x9x40 VXI, I put on Leupolds medium standard rings and one-piece base.

KP

arizona hunter

Reaction score
Speaking of scope rings, one day I noticed my buddy had some cool rings on a scope...said they don't scratch the metal AND they always attach with a near perfect fit---the Burris Signature rings.
I put a set on too, and they really are sweet.

Jake

Reaction score
I mounted a Zeiss on one of my rifles last year and have been very pleased with it.
Its a 3-9X40 and have had it out during dawn, dusk, and midday, very clear, good light gathering capabilities. I'd buy it again if I had to make the choice. Its sitting on a Leupold base.

Mike

Rookies

Reaction score
Hey guys I guess the answers came to late. I got me a Burris scope. The gun dealer said it would be the same as a Leupold VX I. I guess the price goes with the scope though. I guess i'll try it out and see how Burris does, but for sure im getting me a Leupold next year. That seems what everyone has on their guns. Thanks guys for the info.

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
HA! Yeah, DK, I use the exact same ones you do, my friend. They're the "only"

rings and mounts on the market.... don't ya think?!

Top Bottom