what are the few best ELK hunting videotapes

340mag

Reaction score
what are the few best ELK hunting videotapes youve seen?

Ive got several,ELK hunting videotapes Ive picked up over the years
as an example

THE TRUTH,5
by PRIMOS was one of the more interseting tapes

but IVE purchased several instructional ELK HUNTING VIDEOs from other companys that were a TOTAL waste of TAPE
I FELT CHEATED after spending my money and watching them!

WHATS your suggestions on tapes for ELK HUNTING????

Oregon Archer

Reaction score
well for instructional tapes you cant beat Elknuts videos. great info. you can get those at www.elknut.com

now just for entertainment purposes i like the Truth series from Primos. others id recommend are the Awesome Bulls series with John McClendon. They have some HUUGGEE bulls on those videos. the Hot Bulls series from Berry Game Calls arent bad either. not the greatest filming but they do have some good hunts on them.

bullcanyon

Reaction score
Any of the primos tapes are killer. IMHO they are the best elk hunting videos on the market. Of course I haven't seen them all though.

Kris

'Ike' @ HM

Reaction score
A second for Elknuts vid's
I also really like Primos Truth series.....Not only do they cover calling, but also the chance to see different set-ups....

wmidbrook

Reaction score
I'll add Wayne Carlton's movies to the mix. He has some good strategies he talks about in his movies that are very similar to what ElkNut talks about. He also has some good hunting footage in his video and calling in animals.

Also, I think Elknut's latest video (vol 4 - deadlier than wolves) is very good.

There's only 1 part in the movie I strongly disagree with--a statement he made about the diaphram bugles like Primos and Abe & Sons bugles'
sounds and bull sounds. The rest of it is very good for getting you to think more about calling approaches given the situation and also techniques to try out.

Carlton is similar but he didn't develope a vocabulary to go along with it. So, between the two, I think they are the best.

Jim Zumbo's older flicks are a lot of fun too but some of the info is out-dated.

Primos videos pack a lot of action but I don't see as much in the way of tactics and techniques covered there.

Old Larry Jone's tapes are very good too.

Coues

Reaction score
I just bought McClendon's (Northstar Productions) Winter Bulls DVD. Diappointing. The first is so obviously staged, it's almost comical.
The title is a little misleading too. I thought it was about late season hunting, after the rut. Half of the hunts, the bulls are bugling and the guys are hunting in t-shirts.

'Ike'

Reaction score
"Primos videos pack a lot of action but I don't see as much in the way of tactics and techniques covered there."

Well yes there is a lot of action, that's how they sell them....If you pay attention to what they do and how they do it, you may see a little more....JMO!!!

wmidbrook

Reaction score
"If you pay attention to what they do and how they do it" -- I do. And you'll also notice that Primos does a ton of editing. To me, that means you loose some of the feel for frequency/timing of the calls.

Brad Schearer wrote a good article in this month's Outdoor Life magazine. One of the points he makes is that most hunters have a tendency to over-do it with their calling.....drawing out bugles longer than 10-15 seconds, and also calling too frequently.

A video like the standard Primos genre only amplifies this problem since time between bugles are edited out. Typically only hear initial bugle ***cut*** then paste in scene where the bull comes into range.

Don't get me wrong, I love watching the big bucks & bulls on Primos Truth's series as much as the next guy.

340mag

Reaction score
"you'll also notice that Primos does a ton of editing"

while thats true ! ...who would buy a tape that showed the hours of walking, glassing, trail watching and topo map scanning and calling in real time required before you got results , on most ELK HUNTS!

wmidbrook

Reaction score
...that's too true~!

If I watch another elk video, I think I'll explode with anticipation....

season here yet? (checks watch calendar)...dang, a little over two weeks to go until I'm outta here for New Mexico.

forkehornreggie

Reaction score
I would have to say primos are the best. However, what I've been experiencing the last couple years are non vocal bulls. I wish they would cover that more. Although, my local archery shop had Jim Horn from primos in there for a seminar and he sold a cd regarding calling to non vocal bulls. It was cool!!!

'Ike'

Reaction score
Forkehorn, which place did you go see Jim at? I was at Sierra Mtn on the 9th and he did a great job.....

WM, I'm with you, I can't take much more either,
I just want to go.........I'm down to 30 days, but who's counting!!!

Top Bottom