What are you Shootin' for the Dove Opener?

Limited Out

What type of weaponry are you deploying for the opener, what ammo have you decided to use? Anyone using decoys? Any additional tips on gear you think works well? Choot Em'

jbv

shotgun:
browning bss 20 gauge
browning citori 20 gauge
or remington v3 12gauge if they are flying real high

ammo:
kent Bismuth 6's and 7's
federal 6's & 7's 20 gauge steel
kent steel dove 6's & 7's 12 gauge steel

Additional Gear;
onXmaps
2 mojo's
dove stool
ice chest full of water and suds (for later)

Last edited:

Limited Out

Not really! One my buddies I hunt with a lot has one. He found it in a pawn shop out of state. I was exactly like the one he shot growing up as a kid. He did a complete restoration on it and now takes it from time to time on our Euros Blasting Hunts. The first shot took with it after restoring it was a scotch double. He shoots circles around often times with that old gun!

AS73

Primary is a Beretta A400 extreme plus 12g 28" shooting #6 federal Steel @1400FPS
Should be able to knock a few down if they are flying!

Limited Out

The Death Wands .jpgThis is what I'm really shootin' a Super Sports or my old H&K first generation SBE, this is the model you can ghost load a fourth round in even with the plug in. I don't do this and most game wardens know about this flaw. As far shells go a 1 1/8 oz. Load of #5s, 6s, 7s, @ 1308 fps IM choke for the 5s and a Modified for the 7s. I shot 50 rounds of #5s and 50 rounds of #7s last Friday at actual doves. Both performed well in the 25 to 40 yard range. I have to give a slight edge to the 5s.

Last edited:

Limited Out

And maybe a couple of Mojos to bend a flyway if need be. I shoot 10% better when I put those Mojos out and 10% better when I put them away. Headed for the I.V. tomorrow for some last minute scouting.

BrittGSP818

And maybe a couple of Mojos to bend a flyway if need be. I shoot 10% better when I put those Mojos out and 10% better when I put them away. Headed for the I.V. tomorrow for some last minute scouting.
Any news limited? Are the birds flying? How do the numbers compare to last year?

Limited Out

I did some extensive scouting yesterday in the entire I.V. Top to Bottom, East to West. Here's what I see going on. Initially, over the last few months, I was seeing a 20% increase in bird numbers. The Mournings really looked good with a few less Whitewings compared to the last couple of years. After checking 10 or 15 Hot Spots that always produce good bird numbers there is a drop off in overall birds. There are way less Whitewings and maybe 15-20% less Mournings now. There are large pockets of Euros scattered throughout the valley. I think a lot of those Euros will be shot before the end of Saturday. One spot we have shot a bunch of openers at looks super good with around 90% Mournings and not much else, this is where we are hunting. I think you can still shoot limits, it will just take a bit more effort. Let us know how you do! Choot Em'

Top Bottom