What bow??

stRanger

Reaction score
I know this is a very generic subject and probably discussed MANY times... But I am going to try my hand at bow huting... What is a good bow for about 300-400 that includes the sights and all on it, preferably that bass pro sells.. I am 6'5 so i have a pretty long draw and seem to have problems finding a bow for a decent price... Have found some 400+ with not sights or anything... I have heard alot about Browning and Parker bows, and some about martin i think....

thanks yall

Backcountry

Reaction score
I think you can't really go wrong with any of the big name manufacturer's bows... PSE, Browning, Martin, Bear, Hoyt, Mathews, etc... the issue is going to be your draw length and getting the bow set up correctly for you.

As for Bass Pro Shops, if you have any doubt what-so-ever that the person helping you isn't 1) an archery expert, 2) an expert at bow fiting, and 3) an expert at bow tuning, then run (don't walk) for the door and find a dedicated archery pro-shop. If you are not fit to the right bow, it won't matter if you saved $100 at Bass Pro Shops as you'll never reach your full potential if your equipment and you aren't operating as seamless a team. There may be some fellows that work the archery counter at specific Bass Pro Shops that really know their stuff, but I've heard a few too many horror stories of people getting bows there (or from Cabelas) that were inappropriate for them, and the only excuse for that is inexperienced sales people. If you know what you're doing and what you want, that's one thing, but if your new to archery and bowhunting, Bass Pro Shops is not the best place to get educated (unless you want to be educated in frustration).

As for what you're willing to spend, you're at the low end of the range; however, you might be able to find some used consignment bows at pro-shops, bow's that come completely equiped with rest, quiver, ect... also, your draw length may be so long that you would really benefit from a string loop and release, so keep that in mind.

Another EXCEPTIONAL archery forum is hosted by PSE (I imagine other manufactures have their own forums too). It is a very active forum with LOTS of experts willing to help, and you can talk about any bows, not just PSE. Check it out at;

http://forums.pse-archery.com

Good luck, Backountry

stRanger

Reaction score
yea that's what i was afraid of at BassPro.. they have some complete bow kits for like 400ish with rests, sights and the "works".. and i realize that is a low pricerange, but this will be my second yr hunting, and i was also planning on getting a tree stand, plus being a college student limits the amount of money i can spend on a bow and such.... thanks for the input though!!

Hideandwatch

Reaction score
Check out the Reflex "Grizzly" 37.5" bow length and a 7.2" Brace. Because of the bow length it is a bit more forgiving, with a clear emphasis on accuracy for taller shooters, can be heavier and a bit cumbersome in some tight quarters.
Archery Research AR-37, Matthews Icon, PSE Primos STL, Whisper Creek TR-37, Darton Typhoon Extreme, Oneida Black Eagle, Jennings CMX, Hoyt Ultratec, BowTech Pro 40, McPherson 38 Special, Martin Phantom Elite.
All these bows would fit you as a shooter, but not all will fit in your price range. They all fall under the comment at the top about taller shooters.

stRanger

Reaction score
Appreciate all the info, i am gonna head to a local hunting store today and talk with the bow guy there (very knowledgable) and see what he's got...

Latest Posts

Top Bottom