Votes: 13 24.5%

Votes: 1 1.9%

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

machine

I use to shoot .177
Then I got a .22 cal.
I'd never go back.
I would like to try a .25 cal. though!!!

patford

I use .22 I tried a .25 for a while but I was missing closer shots as the tragectory is so high.

swampfox

.20 is great. It has the speed of .177 and the thump of the .22 cal. I have rolled some rabbits on the run with it.

machine

Originally posted by swampfox@Jan 1 2005, 04:51 PM

.20 is great. It has the speed of .177 an dthe thump of the .22 cal.
I hate to stir up ?s
But I was just wondering where you saw info on this.

Once again. don't mean to start trouble, I know a .40 cal. has the speed of a 9MM, and the FPE of a .45.
But I've never seen that of a .20 air gun???

swampfox

what are you talking about? I'm talking first hand experience. I have hunted a whole bunch with a 5mm (.20 Cal). I'm not doing actual FPE or speed tests. I'm telling you what I see when I hunt with it. I have Benjamin Air rifles that are 35 years old and they still shoot as good as a new one. I have hunted with .177,.22,and .20. He wants to know whats best for hunting. Again a good .20 cal gun will shoot fast and have plenty of thump when it comes to hunting small game. A .177 is fast but a slightly less lethal on bigger animals like coons and such. A .22 has the knockdown at close range but is slightly slower. The .20 is a good in between round to shoot for game animals. I dont know what you are talking about 9mm,and .45s for? He didnt ask for actual ballistic tests. Thanks for your input though I hope I answered what you needed.

machine

I was just trying to see the comparison.

And NO, it answered nothing for me.

I personaly can't see where a .20 cal. shooting an avrg. of a 11.6 gr. pellet @ from a 675 fps (20. cal. Sheridan) can even come close to a piston rifle shooting a .22 cal. pellet @ 18.2 gr. and 865 fps.

Like I said, I was just trying to see the comparison. I have hunted with .177, and .22 But never a .20, so I was just trying to see where you where coming from.

If you're happy with your .20 cal. great. I wasn't trying to knock it.

JDC

Banned
Machine-

Don't forget Sheridan has it's own pellets that weigh a whole heck of a lot more than 11.6 gr. (I think it was somewhere around 21 gr) which is where the antiquated figure of 675 fps comes from.

Throw in something weighing 11.6 gr and I'll bet it chronos up between 800-900fps

I would love to see a ft-lb energy @ X range comparison giving the .22 pellet a touch more weight, and maybe 100-150fps.

I think that whatever the difference it would be very trivial.

machine

(Energy Calculator)

Weight (grns) 21.1
Velocity (fps) 920
Energy (ft lbs) 39.6656

(Energy Calculator)

Weight (grns) 21.
Velocity (fps) 875
Energy (ft lbs) 35.710121

First is a piston gun.

Second is a Sheridan.

I was just trying to give him facts.
Not just my oppinion.

I've never shot a .20, so I was hopping to learn something.
And now I have...

swampfox

Straight off the Benjamin website...Power Source: pump
Caliber: .177 (4.5 mm)
Max Velocity: up to 800 fps (243.84 m/s
Key words here "up to 800"
back to the website...Power Source: pump
Caliber: .22 (5.5 mm)
Max Velocity: up to 685 fps (208.9 m/s)
Capacity: Single shot
Key words here..."up to 685"
back to the website....Power Source: pump
Caliber: .20 (5.0 mm)
Max Velocity: up to 675 fps (205.9 m/s)
Capacity: Single shot
Again the same. Looks like there all close to me. It all depends on a lot of factors to go with it. How many times you pump it up...air pressure. Weather. Cold days produce crisper more powerful shots than hot days. You can tweak ballistics all you want to but ,he wanted to know about hunting. I have successfully hunted with mine for over 20 years. I can tell you first hand the .20 is the perfect balance of speed and foot pounds of energy for small game. Thanks again for your input. Hope I answered you this time.

machine

@ the muzzle
They had a brake down @ 10, 25, and 50 yards too.

The 11.6 grain pellets was just an average I took from Sheridan's 10 pellets they offer. I did see the one @ 21 grains too.
I didn't know they based they're "up to 800" with that weight pellet.

Well, I'd still go with a .22 cal for hunting. That's just what my opinion is, and with my 25+ years experience with hunting small game with airguns.

But then again, that's also based on using a Magnum air rife. That is not offered in .20 cal.

JDC

Banned
I've always been amazed that more manufacturers don't offer high performance 20s. IMHO (though I've never shot a springer 22 or 25) it's the perfect balance between speed, wind bucking, trajectory and thump.

Thanks Machine!!

machine

No, thank you JDC!!!

I've always wanted a Sheridan growing up. I just some how never made a jump from the Crosman 760
to the springers??? Don't really know why? I think it would be worth me getting one.

Thanks again for all the info!

Skipper

I chose the 50 cal because I wasn't thinking of squirrels. I'm thinking deer, hogs, or other big game.

I recently witnessed what the big bores are capable of at Standing Stone 4, and it was incredible. The shooters had some 50s and some bigger with the largest being a 58 cal. The 58 would be deadly on anything in North America. The bullet was a 650 grain maxiball at about 900 fps. Shot at a steel target for comparison, a 40 S&W handgun barely dented the target from 20 yards. The 58 cal obliterated the wood post behind the target. It was impressive, and definitely not what you'd think an air gun is capable of.

Skipper

Skipper

The big guns I saw were all custom built. The price was something that would earn you a divorce. They start at about 4 grand and go up dramatically. There is a production 50 cal that runs about $700, but I've not seen one. That 58 was a flat our knock down machine. I should have mentioned the shot from that 58 cal was at 40 yards while the pistol shot was at 20.

Here's a link to the site for the guy that makes the guns I saw

http://www.glbarnes.com/

Skipper

machine

Originally posted by Skipper@Jan 8 2005, 10:00 AM
price was something that would earn you a divorce.
I love that!

I think I'll have to use it some time!!!!

I have seen the production model @ one of the links above!!!

Top Bottom