• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

what caliber would your rather use for hunting

what caliber would your rather use for hunting

Votes: 6 11.3%

Votes: 4 7.5%

Votes: 28 52.8%

Votes: 13 24.5%

Votes: 1 1.9%

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

dw33

I have seen articles on the .20 and it seems to offer good ballistics, flat shooting and still has some punch. But, the .22 will have more energy and still has a good trajectory. I use the .22 air rifles for small game hunting. The .177 I just basically use to target practice now.

scr83jp

QUOTE (machine @ Jan 4 2005, 08:56 AM)
I was just trying to see the comparison.

And NO, it answered nothing for me.

I personaly can't see where a .20 cal. shooting an avrg. of a 11.6 gr. pellet @ from a 675 fps (20. cal. Sheridan) can even come close to a piston rifle shooting a .22 cal. pellet @ 18.2 gr. and 865 fps.

Like I said, I was just trying to see the comparison. I have hunted with .177, and .22 But never a .20, so I was just trying to see where you where comming from.

If you're happy with your .20 cal. great. I wasn't trying to knock it.
For hunting non migratory upland birds minimum caliber is .20 my benjamin sheridan 5mm .20 pellet weighs 14.3 grains.My Blue Streak was enhanced by http://www.mac1airgun.com he's really good with air rifles and comes highly recommended by me!!!!!! My other pumper is a S&W 22 cal full size pellet rifle ,a friend shot a pest the pellet went in the front & out the rear stopped it dead in its tracks.

I used to hunt with a .20, and IMO it is the best varmint hunting pellet of the group. I shoot a Beeman SS1000T .177 for target practice and haven't found a .20 cal rifle other than Sheridan's Blue streak(Look at me crow!!)

I keep looking at the Gamo Hunter Extreme in .22 cal, but money's tight and Pig Hunting in Jan. doesn't involve an airgun.

.20 knocks their lights out, you've got to find the right weight pellet for your gun. Too heavy and you drop so bad you have to use open sights to hit anything. I hate looking at something in the scope and seeing the dirt kick up in front of its feet. They always show test numbers with a specific pellet, and rarely do you see those numbers hunting. Hollow points and Crow Magnums aren't the greatest number makers though they do finish the job well.

Skyler

I have always liked .22 for hunting, however my main hunting rig right now is .177. I can change calibers at a whim, but I like the added range of the .177 for desert hunting. However this no normal .177 gun. It is a custom built and tuned PCP that sends 10.5 grainers right below the sound barrier and gets 50+ shots per fill, he he. I can't use standard weight .177 ammo. Only 10 grains and up. Longest kill so far was a jack rabbit at 125 yards with a 12 grain Eun Jin Heavy.

EMSFlyer

I like em all, but if I HAD to chose one, it would have to be the .22. Hunting with my Logun S-16, at +30ft-lbs, I haven't come across small game that it couldn't tackle. I've been tempted to get a .25 to add in the mix though, just for it's sheer smack down power. But then again, I might as well go with my rimfire if I need more smack down, not to mention expense--so for now I'll just dream on. . .

crapsVC

Question gents,

Could one of these make an ethical shot on a turkey? I hunt a no gun zone and was told I could use a high power pellet gun.

Victor

EMSFlyer

Question gents,

Could one of these make an ethical shot on a turkey? I hunt a no gun zone and was told I could use a high power pellet gun.

Victor
As the CA DFG regs states, you can use at least a .20 cal to hunt turkeys. Whether or not the gun can take a turkey ethically really depends on the actual power your gun has, pellet weight, and the max distance you're planning on shooting the bird. I am certain that a decent PCP, such as an Airforce, will have ample power. If you chose a European gun, make sure it's "FAC" rated, otherwise it will only shoot up to 12 ft-lbs. Springers vary, so chose one with ample power.

But before going out to hunt, do your own bench tests to determine your max kill distance with a particular pellet.

:shootin-rifle:
Good luck!!!

henmar77

I hate to stir up ?s
But I was just wondering where you saw info on this.

Once again. don't mean to start trouble, I know a .40 cal. has the speed of a 9MM, and the FPE of a .45.
But I've never seen that of a .20 air gun???
Not sure what his testimony is bases on, but I used to own a 20 and I killed rabbits all the time at 75 yards

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Bullfrog 31581

I have a .22 that is great for little critters out to 20 yards. Its a Gamo Whisper that's been tuned by an airgun smith with a custom spring. It will shoot through an armadillo broadside at 20 yards. Its not very accurate though past 25 yards.

I have a Marauder .25 on the way just in time for Christmas :smiley-mouse:. I'm thinking with the right night-vision scope, it will be a coyote and hog destroyer.

Bullfrog 31581

Not sure what happened to my last post... Anyhow, I got my Marauder in yesterday. What a beast of a gun. On the second shot it blew the stainless steel plate off my pellet trap by hammering off the slits that held it in place. It puts 1/4 inch dents in the plate every shot. Very accurate and quiet. It does make a "ping" when it shoots but its not very loud at all. I have read that its easy to mod the gun to get rid of the ping by inserting vinyl tubing into the air tank.

I believe it would murder small game with shoulder shots and small-medium game with head shots. I wouldn't hesitate to shot a hog in the head with it. I think it will do anything a .22LR will, maybe more with shoulder shots because the pellets will expand more than a .22LR bullet. On the steel plate the EunJin pellets I'm shooting flatten out to the size of a dime. I could see it making a coon or maybe even coyote crumple with the right pellet on a shoulder shot within 30 yards.

One issue I did have is that I had to replace an O ring in the breech already. Out of the box the pellets were wanting to hang on the O ring and the ring itself finally blew out. I went to Lowes last night and got a #5 ring and was able to push it in place without taking the barrel off. Its been working like a champ since. It seems to like to shoot Predator Polymags and EunJin 35 grains. Some other pellets I have don't group well but the Polymags and Eunjins hit the same hole at 30 yards.

I would note that I use the Benjamin hand pump and its a big chore. At 3000 PSI I get about 20 shots before its at 2000 PSI. It takes about 5 minutes to pump it up and its quite the workout. I don't think it would be an issue hunting because often I'm not going to take 20 shots in a night of varmit hunting anyhow but its a pain target shooting. A scuba tank would be better for lots of shooting.

sancho

based primarily on this thread, i opted for .20cal. this thing is a screamer. i really need to rethink my backstop. it is blasting thru a box stuffed full of foam and more cardboard. i am gonna try to topple a turkey with it next weekend.

downside? you cant walk into ANY sporting goods store and buy ammo. i had to order it. every store i sought out had .177 and .22. kinda nice.

Bullfrog 31581

Oddly enough my local Gander carries one kind of .20 pellet that's made by Crosman (its Benjamin by label).

I've jacked the power up to on my .25 to get 14 shots spitting out 31 grain pellets at 940-950fps (to do this I had to replace the valve, the hammer spring, and extend the air tank). I've killed piles of coons and it will darn sure anchor them. My goal is to get a clean hog kill with it on video. I've killed one hog already but I missed his brain and it was not a clean death.

I want my next gun to be an Evanix in .357. I've seen video of people killing deer with behind-the-shoulder shots with such guns.

Last edited:

dunderee

22 works great for rabbits. Never hit one running though with pellet gun.. I prefer my 25-06 for fast running jacks... Lol.. Great thread by the way.

Top Bottom