What can I do?

Applbit

Reaction score
I just got my 2nd roll of film developed and i had 14 pics of deer including a good sized 4x4. but i also had 10 pics of sunsets and some of midday with nothing in the pic. i know i missed some deer because i was out of film.  is there something that i should be doing to keep it from taking false pics?
my camera was pointing southwest if that helps at all.
thanks

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Reaction score
DO YOU HAVE THE SIDES OF YOUR SENSOR TAPED OFF?  THAT WILL ELIMINATE A LOT OF YOUR BLANK PICS. A PIECE OF ELECTRICAL TAPE OR CAMO TAPE ON EITHER SIDE SHOULD HELP.

abedford

Reaction score
Yes, you need to narrow the field of view of the sensor to prevent triggers that are outside of the field of view of the camera.

You mention that your camera was facing southwest - this might be the cause of your sunset false photos.  The sun would be in the southwest at sunset this time of year.  I have two full rolls of sunset pictures from a southwest facing camera if you want them!  I only face cameras due north or slightly east or west of north.  The number of false pictures has dropped like a rock since making this change.

Stever

Reaction score
Be sure your camera faces north or south. This saved me a fortune in false pics.

Applbit

Reaction score
Yes i have all but the middle 3 bars of the lense covered.

russ

Reaction score
  False picks what a bummer,Applbit I take a compass with me anymore and put mine exactly north.I've cut mine down by more than half still get a few now and then all part of it I guess.

Welby

Reaction score
I had this problem at first, but now I ALWAYS make a point to have my camera pointing as much to the north as I possibly can.  Now, it's very rare that I get false pictures.  I am proud to say that I rarely get pictures now that do not have a viewable animal in them.

bmulley

Reaction score
I've been in the same boat also.  I also bring a compass and get as close to north as possible.  Another thing that gave me false triggers was tree movement.  On a very windy day, the pines swaying back and forth would give me several false triggers.  Since the correction, I'll get maybe one or two per roll.

thehairlessone

Reaction score
I am really getting irritated now. Every thing was going great. Got some really neat pics(had a few false ones) but i dont mind a couple as long as i get some good ones too. But the last few times almost nothing but false pics.

Last week it was about 100 degrees everyday. I thought maybe that was it. Had 2 bad rolls in a row in a spot that had been great  the week before. So I moved it just in case. Now I have two more bad rolls from two different spots.

It has been cooler the last 4 days or so. It was not the heat I doubt. So it must be something blowing in the wind? I am using the mainstay sensor. The batteries are fresh.

How cautious do i have to be about things(grass etc.) in front of the sensor? I dont know if I can find a spot without anything in front of the camera so I dont know if i need
to get rid of everything within 20 ft. or 50 ft. or what. I have always tried not to have anything too close in front but I am really starting to wonder now.

HELP!!??

rick

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
One thing I have done is backed up my PIR from the lens. This seems to help.LOL

Dbworld

Reaction score
100 degrees everyday....I KNOW you're not from Michigan.  Summer here is three months of bad sledding weather.  (rim shot please.....)

(Edited by Dbworld at 1:31 pm on June 7, 2002)

thehairlessone

Reaction score
i thought of narrowing the sensors field of view more but i hate to get it too small. I am going to go out this afternoon and start trimming and trying to aim better.

rick

Archilochus

Reaction score
Another thing to look out for is sun-warmed spots on the ground in front of the sensor.  A stable warmed up area won't cause many problems, but if the wind is blowing - a branch might throw shadows across the warm spot - causing a slight temp drop.  Also clouds going by can do the same.

Archilochus

deerstalker

Reaction score
    The hotter the weather, the more false pics. At least that is what I have experienced. The best solution is to set your cam to nighttime only (if you have that option) because the deer aren't moving in the daytime heat anyway.

bigmandude

Reaction score
My mainstay PIR seems to false trigger alot anytime the temp is above 80, but as soon as the temps dropped below 80 i only got about 1 false per roll.  I plan to install a residential thermostat to my camera to limit operation to days below 80 degrees.

JoelM

Reaction score
I have the same problem when I put mine inside the woods. My solution ahs been to put the camera on right of ways and clearings and that seems to help.

Joel

IAbowhunter

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my "first" camera. I know I'm new to posting but I did the samething that other people said...I backed the lens and cut the feild of view in front....it seemed to work pretty well I use the Radio Shack PIR sensors I've had better luck with um.

thehairlessone

Reaction score
i moved them to try to get them out of the wind. Cut down some stuff in front. Hope for the best. The bad thing is, i put one on a tree where one got stolen a few months ago. I hope nothing happens to this one, but at least i have insurance now.

rick

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 As it gets hot and all the greening up with leaves and brush it is likely to snap several false pics,i was thinking of some needed tools when i go to the woods.
 For the sake of keeping noise down i was thinking of a sycle,you know the long hand handled manually operated weed eaters of old,that would be a great tool for getting all the underbrush out of the way.Also a good pair of pruners or a machete to do away with limbs full of hot leaves blowing in the wind setting of the sensor.
 If the woods around about are cleared off a bit it should help,and of course faceing the cam away from the sunrise/sunset.
 Had my cam out for a week in a new spot and got 6 pics,this is during the hot weather.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom