What choke and ammo combo will you be using for doves

Improved Cylinder vs modified choke for dove?

• Whats ever cheaper at Wal-Mart or big 5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hand loads

• more pricey loads

• Total voters

leftyhunter

Reaction score
Dove season is coming up so nows the time to chose equipment. I am practicing on pigeons to get ready what are you guys doing?

Freedivr2

Reaction score
You're going to get some variance on this poll due to a lot of different conditions and skill levels and timing.

The dove opener for me is in Yuma. The dove are usually close on the opener, so I usually go with IC on the lower tube and modified on the top tube. I've started with skeet and IC sometimes. Just depends how low they are. The 2nd day it's a little different story; The whitewing survivors get smart and fly high, so I'll go with IC and Mod early morning, then sometime around 7am switch to IC and Mod, or Mod and Mod to get those higher flyers.

The next weekend I might go a little more local, Lancaster, Bakersfield. The mournings there are medium high, so I'll go with IC on the lower tube and Mod on the upper tube, depending on how it goes, I might switch the IC to Mod real quick like.

All depends on the conditions and what day you're hunting.

And remember on the skeet field, if you're missing those clays, lead em some more......

ilovesprig

Reaction score
I like to shoot loads that are as fast as I can find (12 or 20 gauge). Remington used to make a 12 gauge, 7/8 oz, 1390 fps load (which I haven't seen in a while). It was the fastest lead load I found.

My favorite is the Kent Diamond Shot Sporting Clays shell, 1 1/8 oz, 1330 fps, especially for late season or open country doves.

Freedivr2

Reaction score
As far as loads go, the key to killing birds is fast and hard shot, especially on the tougher birds that flush and don't present their vitals to you like dove do. Doves are fragile birds, so the hardness of the shot is not as important as it is for hardier birds, like quail or chukar.This is why some guys do ok with the cheap, fast factory loads for dove. Personally, I load all my shells for hunting and target practice and generally use the hardest shot I can find to eliminate cripples as much as possible. For dove, I'll load 1 and 1 1/8 oz loads (1 oz usually works fine for the opener, 1 1/8 oz for high flying whitewings and later on or end of the season. And I find that shooting the same speed load that I use for skeet works perfect because it's what I've practiced and established my leads to from different angles and stations. This has worked well for me at least the last coule of years I've only burned a box and 1/2 to limit on the openers (not great, but better than in years past). My dove loads are 19.2 grains of 700X, Fed Paper or AA hulls which go approx 1190 fps.

Varmint Cong

Reaction score
Yuma for me as well for the opener (Freedvr, the first beer at Buffalo Wild Wing's on me). I have a 12ga O/U and use gauge reducing inserts and shoot 28 ga shells out of the 12 ga frame. When I do that I use Winchester AAs because all 28s are expensive anyway so why not shoot high quality if the price is the same. The birds are plentiful so you can pick your shots a little more carefully so I use Skeet and IC chokes.

By day 3 though, I'll back off to 12 ga shells because the birds smarten up real quick and shots are a little tougher.

Freedivr2

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Varmint Cong @ Jun 26 2008, 08:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yuma for me as well for the opener (Freedvr, the first beer at Buffalo Wild Wing's on me).[/b]
.....Matt, and the next is on me. We'll make that happen this year for sure!!

Mike C

Reaction score
I will be shooting my new Wesley Richards 3 barrel SXSO/U 12 gauge shotgun (see attached picture) and using new biodegradable loads from EnviroMaster. They are 12 gauge loads that come in special recycled and biodegradable boxes. The shells are made out of Hemp fiber specially formed under high pressures to form the shape of the hulls. And to replace the metal base used in most shot loads a mixture of crushed almond shells and organic glues are used which are also formed in a mold under high pressures similar to the process used to make coffins. What’s unique is on the inside. The primer is a special organic nitrocellulose and nitroglycerine mixture to set off the charge. The manufacture has decided not to use the traditional “gun power” but has developed a special process to capture methane gas to us in its place. The methane is held in place in the wad which, you can probably guess is again made of biodegradable Hemp formed under high pressure and sealed to prevent leakage of the methane gas. No dirty power residuals to clean out of the barrels when through hunting. Shot? Well no lead or steel here only the highest of quality biodegradable product is used again. What is it you might ask? Well only something that is natural and can biodegrade and return to mother earth. Clay pellets sold in 4, 5, 6, 7.5 and 8 and they give you 10% more shot…..er pellets per shot load over lead or steel. The amazing thing is the manufacture claims that with this combination you get a whopping 1625 FPS. So I’ll be ready to hunt and protect the environment at the same time. They claim that the hulls and residual material will biodegrade in 6 months in dry conditions.

But let’s not forget safety. And of course here is a picture of me wearing my new safety glasses. And of course through the process of environmentally friendly manufacturing of organic materials and highly secretive other “things” these beautiful non-breakable safety glasses are available in different colors and shades. I chose clear with metal frames made from recycled oil drums. Some people may experience some visual distortion if the lenses are not manufactured and fit correctly. Please check with your ophthalmologist.

Clothing for the environmentally conscious hunter is for sure shoes, socks, shorts, underwear, shirt and cap made of environmentally friendly and biodegradable Hemp the universal material made from plant fibers. Not the kind you can smoke. Just don’t tell the warden what you are wearing.

Attachments

leftyhunter

Reaction score
Mike you almost had me there. Seriously the shell you described would make money and some enterprising company might be working on something more or less on the idea has you described. Polish farmers have been wearing hemp clothing for a while and hemp products have made big inroads in the American market in the last few years.

Freediver makes a good argument for an O/U because one can have two different chokes. I didn't know that. I know now a days there are supposed to be plenty of decent O/U's to be had at affordable prices made in Turkey and Russia.If you guys want to practice on the doves big cousin the pigeon let me know I have access to a few dairy's in the KC. Freediver your not to far from me sans traffic.a box and a half to limit out is very good I won't say how many box's I go through. On pigeons I average 20% once I did 30% and my kid can do 30%. I never owned an O/U I love auto loaders I have a Stoger that jams a few times but it handles well. My next toy will most likely be either a Mossy 930 , HR Excell or Chas daley field hunter.

Good replies keep them coming.
heres to dove season

Leftyhunter

Freedivr2

Reaction score
Lefty, get a Browning O/U, you can't go wrong with one. Had one for year, so have my dads and they are just the most outstanding, best fitting guns I've ever shot. I've shot Berretta O/Us, too, but the weight and fit just isn't quite as natural to me as the Browning O/Us. I've got a 325 Sporting Clays model, precursor and very similar to the 525. Great, great shooters!

Mike C

Reaction score
leftyhunter

Well gosh the Wesley Richards 3 barrel shotgun is for real though. I never owned a O/U until a couple of years ago. Shot mostley pumps but then I observed guys hunting and shooting with O/U and considered several advantages. First is safety. Most guys will have them open when not actively hunting or shooting and you cant discharge them when open. Second only having two shots makes you choose your shots better and indirectly saves on shells. Since I always pick up my hulls now I don't have to bend over or spend time looking for them to pick up. And of course you can have two different or the same choks in each barrel. When shooting skeet it's usually skeet and skeet. When dove hunting it will us IC and Mod or Mod and Improved Mod. When Quail hunting it's usally Cyl and IC or IC and Mod. First shot for when the birds are the closest and the second when moving away a little futher out.

My first O/U was a Kahn 20 ga early model that was a demo gun used by a sales person. I picked it up for $399.00 because I wasn't sure I would like an O/U and didn't want to make a big investment. Its light shoots well and makes a great field gun. I also us it to shoot skeet and trap for recreation. Later I found a used Browning Citori SX 12 ga which is a skeet gun. I picked it up for half what used ones were selling for and couldn't pass up the deal. I now use it and the Kahn for skeet and trap recreating shooting and will use both in the field but mostley the Kahn.

Faults with the guns. The Kahn choks, but they work and I have recently found they are interchangable with other brands available now on the market. And the selector switch. It's very lose and if you move it to the left to shoot the upper barrel first then open the breach you thumb will move it back to fire the under barrel first. So I always shoot the under barrel first which solves the proble.

The Browning was very stiff and hard to open when I first got it and I figured I would have to break it in to loosen it up. Didn't happen so I started looking at the gun and checking clearances on the guns moving parts. I found the barrel parts and the stock parts at the hinge point were in contact with each other and causing the problem. A little use of magic marker in place of machinest die and a dremmel tool with a small grinder solved the problem. I also fitted all my shotguns with Limbsaver recoil pads.

Cost: a good O/U cost more than your field pumps and a little more than a good autoloader. It really comes down to personal choice and wheather you want to shoot three shells or two. I think you might be able to rent an O/U at the Oak Tree gun club if you wanted to try one.

And I only shoot EnviroMaster loads in both guns while wearing my Hemp camo clothing to hunt. Last time I was out some dude tried to light me and smoke me.

Kern County is pretty big so how close are these stock yards to the LA area. I know of one right off the I-5.

leftyhunter

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

Good arguments on the O/U's. I have to admit I never tried one I understand on the pigeon circuit all the pro's use O/U's. Hey its Cal and its our god given right to toke up any time unless you work has a federal contractor like me and can get canned for having THC in the blood stream.

I blast pigeons off the 99 not the I-5 From downtown LA its approx 110 miles I couldn't tell you from Ojai. I take it there are no more dairy's in Ventura County. There are also quite a few dairy's in Tulare County just north of Delano . One dairy i hunt is near a lot of crows which are my favorite upland bird and boy oh boy they are tastey! I have seen euro's and mourning doves near some of the dairy's not to say there are no Mexican White Wings I just haven't seen them. The doves would love to have some free tastey grain but the pigeons are just to numerous and keep them outside the prime feeding areas. One advadage of KC is that their wally worlds sell Winchester 7 1/2 100 round bricks for $22 hopefully there will be some sales during dove season. I might go Sunday Morning let me know if your interested.

Leftyhunter

myfriendis410

Reaction score
I'll be shooting my 20 gauge Ithaca SXS choked mod and full. It will do anything I want it to and reaches right out there with the handloads. I like this gun because it is so lively between the hands and points like a dream. It would be perfect if it was a 28 gauge. Maybe a set of Brileys next year......

foulshot

Reaction score
I'll be shooting a Baretta AL390 20ga., modified choke. Not sure about the loads as that is also early teal season. May have to find some #6 or #7 steel.

foulshot

Reaction score
I'll be shooting a Baretta AL390 20ga., modified choke. Not sure about the loads as that is also early teal season. May have to find some #6 or #7 steel.

Val

Reaction score
freediver and varmint cong, I'll be in Yuma for the opener too. I'll take a free beer from you guys.

For dove I use my 20 gauge Remy 1100 with one ounce hand loads. The dove opener is a holy day of obligation for me.

Freedivr2

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Val @ Jun 29 2008, 06:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
freediver and varmint cong, I'll be in Yuma for the opener too. I'll take a free beer from you guys.

For dove I use my 20 gauge Remy 1100 with one ounce hand loads. The dove opener is a holy day of obligation for me.[/b]
Val, uh, I think you already owe me a couple beers........

Varmint Cong

Reaction score
First I buy Freedvr a couple then he returns the favor, then I buy Val a couple and then he returns the favor...Next thing I know its 4:30 am, the alam's going off and I have yet another excuse for shooting like crap on the opener!
Works for me! I'm there.

BTW - This is what I've decided to shoot with on the opener.
With gas at $4.60 and cheap WalMart shells at $55 a case, I just don't care anymore.

Mike C

Reaction score
WalMart at $55.00 a case? Last time I stocked up it was $42.00 ($21.00 for a brick of 100). So is that a case of 200 or 250? The cost of the lead they took out of the gas to make it lead free has gone up along with the gas.

Top Bottom