What choke and ammo combo will you be using for doves

Improved Cylinder vs modified choke for dove?

• Whats ever cheaper at Wal-Mart or big 5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hand loads

• more pricey loads

• Total voters

Varmint Cong

Reaction score
The same Winchester Superspeeds I bought two years ago for $35 a 10 box, 250 shell case are now $55/case. I'm glad I stocked up then.

Hopefully they'll go down between now and dove season.

gundogs

Reaction score
Mod and full choke with PolyWad 71/2 Spred-R shells about 1350 fps 1 1/8 oz 12 and 1oz in 20 ga. Keeps the retrieves short in the hot weather, the old dog will like that and I can sit in the shade.

Remember pump guns are for multiple shots on multiple targets. Auto loaders are made for the same job but will allow a back up shot however your limited to one choke at a time. O/Us provide more lateral vision, this can be a plus for birds that change direction quickly like doves. SxS are still my favorite multiple chokes and multiple triggers give quick response and reload more quickly than stack barrels.

Have fun no matter where you go. Here is an idea take a kid shooting! I will be out with California Wheelin' Sportsmen helping those with mobility disabilities and a few of our veterans bag some doves.

AnewBigDaddyB

Reaction score
I've been usually tubed with IC/MOD, and like to shoot 1oz. 20ga. 7.5's
I like taking my first shot at about, 9:30/10 o'clock elevation with the mod, and backed by the IC as it approaches nearer if the first shot is a miss!

IC/MOD are great all around upland game chokes, they've dumped everything for me, including sage grouse, that particular load was a 20 ga. 1&1/8 oz. load of copper-plated 7.5's which is my favorite load for pheasants and chukars as well!

The amount of ammo I usually spent over the course of two dove seasons, I've lately just been going with the 7/8oz loads "on sale" getting "cheap" in my old age!

5standjake

Reaction score
I love to shoot IM and Full 1 1/8 in my 12 gauge and 7/8 in my 20 gauge both barrels with full chokes.

Jake

pennywise67

Reaction score
Well on the opener I will be at Camp Roberts and they are now lead free as of 7/1 for everything. So I will be shooting Remington Sportman High speed steel. 1oz #7 shot. Going to use an IC with my new Benelli M2.

-Larry

Old Tree

Reaction score
Opening day for me is usually 410 with handloads of 7.5 shot. No shots over 30 yards. Browning BPS with IMod choke.
Day two and on is 28 gauge. Always 7.5 handloads. Same model gun and choke.

meatgetter

Reaction score
i'm really interested in everything you all have to say about the loads you are blasting. great perspectives for all different shooting styles.

i also try to keep in mind the flight pattern of the birds. for example...if you have set yourself up in the path between the roost and feeding areas, you might be getting high-incoming shots. in another situation, the majority of the birds might be crossing. obviously every field will deliver different flight patterns. i've found it useful to think about that flight pattern (along with how i tend to hit birds best) when choosing your choke. something to think about.

as for me, i'll start off with my browning citori 12 ga: skeet - bottom and IC - top. then move to the benelli with IC to really have some fun.

again, great thoughts on the self-loads.

34 days left.

Freedivr2

Reaction score
just find a good spot with a ton of birds coming into feed and you can use skeet and #9

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
12 ga. mod. Ithica model 37
Premier Nitro Sporting Clays 7 1/2 1 1/8 oz. 1300fps....it nocks them dead.
Just don't shoot the birds that are too close otherwise their's not much left.

FowlHabit

Reaction score
Wow it's almost that time again.
Kinda like a bad horror movie they can't make enough of except this is hunting and it's fun!
Back to the topic, I'll be ready for the return of the hunting season using my trusty Browning O/U with IC/Mod tubes. As far as ammo goes, I'll use what ever 12 ga. target ammo I have left over from my last trip to Oaktree. Most likely Estate 12 ga. 1 1/8 oz #7.5".

RickQU/DU

Reaction score
Hey Mike Nice Pic and hey Fowlhabit, I will be with my boys and all shooting my hand loads that we pumped out last month, They are 12ga AA hulls, WSF powder, win 209 primers, 11/8 load and are super fast loads used them last year and if it flyed it died.. Fowl I will turn you onto a box when we see you at the hotel, Only a few more days to go and oh I shoot a modified choke depending on how fast them little buggers are.

You all be SAFE and lets us know how you do!!
And my weapon is a Rem 11-87 SPS 12ga

loadsprayer

Reaction score
I do not shoot the 12's or 20's anymore for Dove, so I will break out the Caesar Guerini 28 ga o/u with my 7 1/2 reloads. Then I will switch over to the CZ 28 ga side by side. The barrels are only 26 inch, so no shots outside 30 yards.

I love this time of the year!!

Good Luck and nail some euros!!!

Freedivr2

Reaction score
Any of you morons going to Yuma and staying at the Oak Tree Inn? If so, don't look me up, I'm definitely not staying there........

Nah, c'mon by for a beer and stories. Even if you're not staying there........This will be my I think 27th straight year going to Yuma, gotta keep that tradition going ya know.....

less than 4 days till the Dove party!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom