What choke to use??

uhunter

Reaction score
Just getting back into duck hunting really havent done much ducks since i was a kid. Well i will be useing my 870 this year just wondering with steel which is new to me, what choke should i be useing.
Thanks..good hunting

grizz

Reaction score
I'd strat with mod.  Always worked for me.

Jay

Reaction score
Generally speaking most shotguns shoot a choke tighter when shooting steel as compare to lead.

So if you want to throw a modified pattern of steel at birds 25 - 35 yards out, use your choke that shoots an Improved Cylinder for lead. If you want a full pattern for birds 35+ yards, use your choke that throws a modified pattern for lead.

Some of the newer guns have their choke tubes  marked for both lead and steel so of course their recommendation would be more accurate.

Also be warned that different brands will pattern differently. I'd suggest shooting a few rounds at the pattern board to see how those shells react to your gun and choke.  

Trapp

Reaction score
I use a Hasting Inproved plus with Bismuth #6's

Fubar

Reaction score
I agree with Jay. You need to pattern your shotgun. Key word being YOUR. Just because your buddy uses XYZ-brand choke with whizz-bang shells with good results doesnt mean your gun will have the same pattern. Check your gun before the season with the choke and ammo you are going to use.               Fubar

jerry d

Reaction score
uhunter,

A good example of what Jay and Fubar are telling you about patterning with different brand shells would be what I discovered.

I also shoot an 870 which has a Hastings barrel with screw in chokes. At 35 - 40 yds, the distance I normally try not to excede, using a modified choke tube and Remington or Estates shells I have a good uniform pattern. With Federal or Winchester shells at the same distance I'm all over the patterning board with large holes in the pattern.

After having what I considered too many cripples, I went to the patterning board and discovered what I described. Now I try to use the brands that pattern best for me which has greatly increased first shot kills and drastically reduced the cripples.

jerry d
Environmentalist

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom