What chokes/ammo do you use?

bjake21

Reaction score
I was on my first duck hunt this last weekend and almost went through a box of ammo and only getting one duck. It definately could have been the shooter but just to be sure. I was shooting Winchester Expert High-Velo steel #6 in my remington 870 with the facotry modified choke. Do I need a special choke when shooting steel shot? Should I use a full choke? What size shot do you use for ducks?

spooniekilla

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bjake21 @ Oct 25 2007, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I was on my first duck hunt this last weekend and almost went through a box of ammo and only getting one duck. It definately could have been the shooter but just to be sure. I was shooting Winchester Expert High-Velo steel #6 in my remington 870 with the facotry modified choke. Do I need a special choke when shooting steel shot? Should I use a full choke? What size shot do you use for ducks?[/b]
I shoot an o/u with a improved first the mod. I shoot #4 early season then later in the season move to #3 or 2s I use win dry locks they are fairly pricey though the kent fast steel is a good shell for the money.

Rudso

Reaction score
I use the mod choke that the Beretta came with and I shoot #2 in Heavy Steel. or Kents.

quack_head

Reaction score
Some kinda primos choke, #4 been using winchester Xpert. Used to use Kent will go back to kent.

quack_head

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bjake21 @ Oct 25 2007, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I was on my first duck hunt this last weekend and almost went through a box of ammo and only getting one duck. It definately could have been the shooter but just to be sure. I was shooting Winchester Expert High-Velo steel #6 in my remington 870 with the facotry modified choke. Do I need a special choke when shooting steel shot? Should I use a full choke? What size shot do you use for ducks?[/b]
6 is a little small. Might wound them more than kill them. Ducks can be tough. Follow through with your shots. I f don't already. Sometimes you may be shooting over them. Check your look down the barrel. Do not use full if it is full for lead. Mod would be full for steel. You'll get the hang of it soon. I hunted five hunt days before I shot my first duck. Them shell boxes burn up quick on the BBQ.

Huntin' Foo'

Reaction score
Blake,

#6 are definitely on the small size. Cut open one of the winchester expert shells. You'll be suprised to find that many of the pellets are oblong, they almost look like slag. I bought a couple of boxes of them but was unhappy with their performance. Now I shoot Kent faststeel and am very pleased. I like the 3 1/2" 1 1/4oz load moving 1625fps shot through an improved cylinder choke. I mostly shoot size 1 or 2 with an occassional bb thrown in.

Good luck.

BrandonA

Reaction score
Modified Choke... Ducks I use 3" #4 Federal's, and for snow/specks I'll use 3 1/2 2's if there are ducks around or BB if I'm going for geese only... hevi-shot 2, 4, or 6's for honkers (yes I've killed them with Hevi-shot 6's no problem)...

Ridge2River

Reaction score
I would agree that #6 is too small. I use #4 to #2 dependant on wind conditions. I also use mod. But I have used imp cycl, as well. Make sure you are bringing the gun up and aligning the sights properly. Often time we bring the gun up quickly and when we see the front bead we shoot. If you do not have a good cheek weld you make not actually have proper sight alignment and you may be shooting high. Dry fire and bringing the gun up quickly will help reduce improper sight alignment. You would think that with such a shot spread, sight alignment would not be so important, but it is. Just a thought.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
I shoot nothing but Kent, 3" 1 1/4 3's for ducks (SBE modified), and I only missed 5 times last year............

P.S.
O.K., I missed more than that, but that's the best combo for ducks I've found............

P.S.S.
For geese it's Kent 3 1/2" 1 3/8 BBB, 1550 fps. I like the faster speed, because most goose shots are a little farther, and it makes up for my lack of forward lead.

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
I used to use Kent Fasteel exclusively for the past 3 seasons. This year I picked up some Winchester Xpert 3" in #2. I've never had the success like I did on opener. Every single one of my birds was shot dead - not one cripple. I'm not saying that it was a problem with the Kent's, but I've never had a day like I did last week.

For my choke, I use a Patternmaster ported choke tube. I've been shooting it for a couple years now and love it!

hanginghog

Reaction score
I used to use the Winchester Xpert and then picked up a box of Faststeel for the opener. Had far better success with the Faststeel and no crips. Yesterday I tried the Winchester Xpert again and didn't like them at all. Even birds that had solid shots (within good range) seemed to not fall dead, but rather quite a few cripples. Kent has made a believer out of me.

RickQU/DU

Reaction score
I use a Modified choke and Kent 31/2 -19/16 bb fast steel knocks em dead very few if ever cripples

COHunter

Reaction score
Modified choke tube (Browning Inv+)

Ducks get 3.5" Federal Ultra-Shok 1 1/2 oz #2's

Geese get 3.5" Federal Ultra-Shok 1 1/2 oz BBB

I want to kill them, not tickle or cripple them

Slosher

Reaction score
Kent 3" 1 1/8 oz. 2's or 3's depending on the wind, and improved cylinder factory choke for my Beretta. Deadly to 40 yds. Shooting past that is a waste of amo and/or game where I hunt. Shoot some skeet to mimic many of the shots you will get over decoys.

hunthog

Reaction score
All the Remington and Federal 2 3/4" and 3" #2's left over from all the years the hunting sucked and 3 1/2" #2 Heavyshot (deadly) for the Honkers and other, less important geese. IC choke in my Benelli SBE I is all I ever use.

Larry

calfowler

Reaction score
The most under appreciateded "IMPROVED CHOKE" with the monster load "Federal Ultra Shok 1 1/2 oz of #2's @ 1500 fps
Dead Duck everytime.

Greenhouse

Reaction score
3 inch Kent fasteel #2 1 1/8 at 1560. #6 is pretty small for ducks. #6 lead was a killer but with steel use the 3 inch shells and use something that travels over 1400 fps and use #2 or #3. I used expert once and was underwhelmed but that was 4 or 5 years ago. I have heard they made some improvments but I like the Kent shells and will stick with them. If you do not have a 3 1/2 chamber on your gun I would use 2 3/4 or 3 inch heavy shot #2 when hunting geese exclusivly-Like union or something.

3 inch I use modified, 3.5 inch I use IC

Top Bottom