what do you guys do with dead yotes?

Nickrp

Reaction score
OK So i have not done any predator hunting but the challenge intrigues me. My question is what do you all do with the yote after you shoot em? My understanding is no one actually eats them? Do you guys all keep the pelts? Or do some of you just shoot em and burry/dispose them to keep the population down?

dabob

Reaction score
I feed them to other coyotes, eagles, condors, etc.

KTKT70

Reaction score
I wondered the same thing. It sounds like fun but I want to use the things I kill. If it was on my land and I needed to get rid of them, I would. I just wonder about going out and tracking them down just for the game of it. Although I bet any hunting is good learning for other field time.

leftyhunter

Reaction score
Per the NRA American Hunter Magazine coyotes are delicious. People have been eating dogs for forever so I don see why not.
Lefyhunter

Nickrp

Reaction score
Ha well i have no love coyotes at all (grew up in La Habra where they would steal dogs, and attacked mine a few times). I certainly dont plan on eating on them, but was just wondering if there was anything else to do with em because the tracking aspect of hunting them seems like a lot of fun. I would definitely be fine with keeping the population down.

augnmike

Reaction score
Give them to a taxidermist who does mounts for BPS and other shops

jbcaptain11

Reaction score
i want to save the pelts and leave the yote but mt 1st bobcat i want to stuff

thewolfman

Reaction score
I met a guy that told me this...u eat dog or cat...u go to jail...but u can eat all the coyote and bobcat u want...haha...heard it taste like chicken

On a serious note...I do know of a few that eat them..and there are some Mtn lion hunters that eat Mtn lion...they said the cats taste like pork...saw this on the hunting show..

There are some taxidermist that will take the skin...maybe make a deal...reduce the price on your mount...the way to take care of the skin is keep it clean and roll it up...plastic bag...freeze it

yucaipa rob

Reaction score
http://www.moytown.com/ yo u have to skin them and then flash them out I think it's like 23 bucks a coyote hide if you take them to a taxidermist he will probably flash them out for you but it's going to be considerably more then just sending them View attachment 79479 up straight to the tannery

mtnsammy

Reaction score
Yotes are hard to hunt and great for building skills. I am just getting into it and getting closer each time. Need a better rifle than my 30-06 but so far no long shots or short ones either. After this winter I would love to hunt northern yotes as the pelts are much nicer. Until then I will work with what the good Lord gives me. Up here there are thousands of yotes running in circles. OK at least dozens until I put on cammo and walk with a gun.

Looking forward to my first skinnings and stretching out the hides. Most likely I will just spray the hides with insect killer for the fleas and chiggers. After they season I have no idea what I will do but it is all one big learning curve. If I can sneak up on a yote my bow hunting will be much improved.

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
If you get the coyotes when the fur is good then it's worth it to case skin them and dry the skins. You can send them out to get tanned and made into all kinds of things.
If you go to the trouble to get a trapping license you can sell the hides you take. Fur prices aren't too bad for coyote in prime that's been well taken care of. If you can get enough dogs it's well worth it to send a bunch of hides off to a fur sale.

Guy

BDOG

Reaction score
Eating Coyotes

After a steady diet of cosmo poodle, they taste pretty good. If they have been riding In the back of the truck too long, I toss them In a ditch to feed the flies. They have to eat too. They do make good jerky as they're Is not much fat on them. You should try It. Been eating them for years.

Last edited:

mezcan

Reaction score
After a steady diet of cosmo poodle, they taste pretty good. If they have been riding In the back of the truck too long, I toss them In a ditch to feed the flies. They have to eat too. They do make good jerky as they're Is not much fat on them. You should try It. Been eating them for years.
Don't forget , you are what you eat ! RUFF !

Top Bottom