What do you think about this ?

Lollypop

Reaction score
I would like to express my concern to all hunters. I do not wish to initiate an emotional mud slinging match between pro and anti-hunters. I wish to start hunting, have all the gear, got the license, been shooting for many years at the range, know my rifles and suitability to game, etc. etc.

I feel from much discussion with seasoned hunters, that most hunters actually enjoy the act of hunting, harvesting an animal, love animals of all kinds, like myself, AND respect to highest degree the sanctity of animal life itself. Hunting is very expensive, takes a lot of thought and preparation, can be very dangerous, does the ecology a very big favor and I am one myself. (almost)

However, observing the OUTDOOR channel on TV saddens and concerns me when a hunter harvests an animal and can’t wait to proclaim his/her prize with giant smiles, hand shacking, backslapping and indifferently twisting the trophy for a good Kodak moment. I have no problem with a hunter wallowing in the pride of a successful hunt. But, to do that on public television where most viewers are probably not hunters, not informed of the benefits of hunting to the ecology as a whole, don’t understand the hunter’s sense of responsibility and are extremely sensitive to the well-being of wild animals, probably inflicts a lot of damage to the image of the hunter. I am sure hunters understand the achievement of a successful hunt, but to blatantly display gross apparent heartless insensitivity to the fact the he/she has just taken a magnificent life from this earth, I think, is doing hunters a gross disservice.

Broadcasting the act of hunting with responsible commentary to a very sensitive audience would be prudent and it is critical to display the outcome of the hunt with the most responsible and discreet demeanor.

I’m not criticizing the hunter (me one day) or hunting itself. I just believe that the culmination of the hunt as portrayed in that TV program is detrimental to the image of the hunter, which is precariously dangling on the fence anyway.

I hope I’m wrong

Lolly

Bald Eagle

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi Lolly and welcome to JHP.

I think just about every responsible hunter has similar feelings about these "made for TV" hunts.  I personnaly never watch them anymore.  Haven't seen one in probably ten years.  I don't know what we should do about them and I'm not sure we need to do anything.  The folks who sell hunting equipment and who sell TV productions will continue (due to greed) to cut their own throats with these make-believe hunts until we all loose.  It's just a shame.

Kickaha

Reaction score
Hi Lolly,

There have been several threads on JHP about those hunts.  Virtually everyone here seems to dislike them (perhaps for different reasons).  Me included.  I do think it's okay to show hunting on television.  In fact, I think it's essential to show hunting on television.  But not that junk.  Real hunters actually hunting and showing respect for the animal they just killed.  By hiding it away, it moves the facts of life that much further from the minds of non-hunters (who think meat comes from the magical meat factory and has no connection with real animals).  

And, btw, I know I said "killed".  I disagree with the politically correct term "harvested".  Call it what it is and don't be ashamed of it.  The anti-hunters won't care what you call it and the non-hunters will have more respect for you if you're not politically correct.

Hntrjohn

Reaction score
As long as there is hunting shows, there will be an animal on the ground withen the 22 minute show. The sponers of the show want people to think if they use their product they will be sucsessful also.
I have only seen one show that they did not even see a buck for the whole time they were hunting. This show was the "Hunting Guide" staring Steve Scott. He now does "Safari Hunters Journal".
I enjoy watching the outdoor channel, but if they say they going to Texas (seems like 25% of the show)  for a whitetail hunt, I change the channel. I do not need to watch the deer eating corn thay the scatter on a dirt road.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Lollypop,

Welcome to one of the many divisive issues facing the hunting community.  There are a bunch of them.

I do echo your sentiments, and, while I still watch some hunting programs, I'm pretty selective about what I'll put up with.  I have noticed that there's a lot less whooping and hollering about a kill than there used to be (I remember watching Ted Nugent literally dance around a carcass on one show, years ago), but the level of sensitivity hasn't increased that much.  

My suggestion on this topic is, if you see something you really dislike, send a letter to the producers and sponsors.  Don't just criticize, but offer constructive suggestions about what you think should be happening.  That's where most letter writers fall short... they don't offer solutions.  Any fool can point out a problem.  Finding a solution takes smarts.

If you want to see change, you have to make it happen.

shaginator

Reaction score
Watched them for a couple months, then found more interesting things to do.

I gotta say, that after talking with other hunters about this stuff, hunting shows seem to irritate more hunters than non-hunters. Some get a little jealous, others don't learn a damn thing from them, and of course all that gloating around a dead animal can make anyone cringe. For me, it's like watching someone's bad vacation video.

Oh, and Speck -- Don't really care if there are hunting TV shows or not (no need to watch them when there's JHP! hehe) so I don't bother to write, complain, or offer solutions. :smile-big-blue:

huntducks

Reaction score
I'll jump right into this and say I enjoy most of them i'm tired of turkey hunting and won't watch another turkey being KILLED, but I beleive to each his own.

A ??? for all of you, when you have shot & KILLED something are you happy sad glad or don't care, myself i'm smiles from ear to ear, and in most cases can't wait to fire up the BBQ.

But to each his own, I chringe at watching pro sports growen men & women making a$$ out of themselfs crying and carring on at a football basketball or baseball game all decked out in there favorite star players jersey, not being able to function when there team loses & rioting and burning there own town when there team win's the world championship of what ever, that's what turns my stomach to be envolved in something as shallow as pro sports in America.

To me this is just a comparision to what I enjoy and what I dislike to what someone else enjoys, and remember don't be to critical of anyone till you walk a mile in there shoes.

Megadeth

Reaction score
How many whitetails(fish in a barrel hunts) does Jackie Bushman harvest a year. For as guy that eats so many alfalfa deer, he sure is thin.

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
Well said, Huntducks.  After a bunch of unsuccessful seasons, I finally killed a big buck last year and I didn't stop smiling for a week.  If somebody ho-hums killing a big buck, they might as well take up golf.  While I don't think a t.v. program ought to show an especially grisly kill scene (e.g., a badly gutshot deer), I'm not going to make apologies to anti-hunters for doing what I love to do.  As somebody alluded, too many folks think that meat grows on styrofoam trays under plastic wrap.  They need to see where meat really comes from.

Regards,
Paul

huntducks

Reaction score
Paul

Every game animal that I have shot has drawen some kind of reaction from me depending on the sitution some smiles are broader then others, I remember my first elk I smiled for a week, I remember my first Grizzly I shook for 15min while looking at him and did not know if I needed to smile or change my underware, I remember my first honker I walked out and picked him up thinking YES YES YES all the way and walked back in like I had been doing this for years.

I think the one that PO's me more then any is the turkey hunting they let this tom strut around for 10min then shoot it and run like two 12 year old school kids playing tag out to it hoot and hollering all the way giving hi 5's and hugging, a smile and a hand shake is enought for me quit being a bunch of phony a$$ same way for some of the WT hunts
just act natural not like bunch of fools.

shaginator

Reaction score
Yes, huntducks... the stuff you mentioned about the over-the-top, staged parading re: turkey hunting show: that's what I mean by "cringy". Blech.

Shep

Reaction score
Anyone that dosent get a ear to ear grin,and high5 his buddies after a successful hunt needs to quit hunting.And dont assume that "most viewers" of hunting shows arent hunters,the opposite is true,and there are stats to back it up.Now as to some of the televised hunts,more than once ive seen a obviously out of shape client/hunter driven to the "honey hole' and steered 100 yards to a  buck/elk/turkey etc.after a short hike the animal is killed and you'd think it was the last animal on earth,this my friend is television hunting for the most part.I think it sucks,it goes against all the "rules".Lolly,when and if you harvest an animal you have had to "work" for i think you will be grinning ear to ear and whoopin" and hollerin".The amount of work and time expended to harvest an animal is proportinate to the happy factor one experiences.Good luck on your hunts.Shep.

dukahalik

Reaction score
Well I am probably going to be branded a redneck but head for this but i am honest.
I like to watch hunting shows seeing good dogs work and game get shot is why i watch.
i will not watch espn hunting shows who wants to watch a guy pull the trigger and then the next seen he is posing with something.
 but then again i am not the guy that will tell you i go hunting for the experience.
i go to try and kill something i have a good time if its a dry run but it is better when my duck strap is full or there is a buck or hog on the ground. i don't bust my but for the fun of it i have a goal in mind and it is much more rewarding when i reach that goal. and yes i smile,jump up and down holler what ever i feel compelled to do i do it.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom