What do you use to kill human scent?

RLB

Reaction score
For me, I wash with Ivory soap, then use an anti-bacterial lotion like neosporin on the places that the sun dosent shine to control odor. It works pretty good. At least I cant smell myself! I also put baking soda in my boots. I have heard about clorophil tablets and other stuff. Yall tell me what yall use/do to control your odor.

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Rubber knee high boots and be at least 15' high in the tree.

Scent free laundry detergent on my clothes.

I choose my stand location based on wind direction.

Brian S

Reaction score
I think the biggest mistake that I have been making when we camp and hunt, is wearing my hunting clothes around the campsite. I think this year I'm going to keep my clothes in one of those rubber bags to keep the bacon and eggs,beer, ect.ect. off of them. I have also just learned about rubber boots since hunting whitetail. In the west we hike so much that I never thought about rubber boots but the fabric of the boot is dragging ytour scent all through the woods. I'm 30 now maybe by the time I'm 70 I'll have learned all the tricks, and at that point probably start forgetting all of it too. Oh well there's always luck, and wind direction.
Brian

SAW

Reaction score
  Rlb,Besides all the usual precautions to wash my clothes and body in scent free stuff,I use an odor eliminating liquid called N-o-dor by Atkso/SnoSeal.This stuff is relatively cheap and works good.I've even used it on my hands after cleaning a mess of fish and it makes oders that strong completely disappear immediately.I spray this stuff over my body and my eqipment and in my truck.
  I also think that scent trails in and out of you're stand will ruin a spot.I can't stand to wear rubber boots so I made a pair of scent-loc boot covers that I put on the last 200 yds.to the stand.I have had very good results with these.
  Be careful with the baking soda in your boots.If you get any powder in Gortex it will clog the pores and won't breathe anymore and you will have wet feet.
  Neosporin sounds like a good idea, I might have to try that,thanks.
                                              SAW

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Wore a new set of hip waders to my stand last year,set in my stand about an hour when this doe came by,crossed my trail and slid to a stop and stuck her nose in it.went back to my insulated Rockys.

hclaus

Reaction score
i use my own brand of scent destroyer (big surprise huh?).

It comes with a money back guarantee.

I was in Texas hog hunting this weekend.

I sprayed down pretty good, then got in the stand. 3 came in behind me. as I turned in the seat i made a small noise. They looked up at me, (thank God for 3d-camo also), then they sniffed a while and headed on their way.

I didnt take any of those hogs, I had some friends on that side of the creek and didn't know exactly where they were.

Also another thing that happened after dark, was some kinda critter come right on up the tree with me. Still dont what it was. I dont guess it smelled me either, and it was within 2 feet of me. I dont know which one of us was the most surprised.

also there are things you need to do in conjunction with the use of a destroyer or eliminator.

i have a list of these on my site:
http://www.inheatscents.net/destroyer.html

This stuff will take away SKUNK odors, guaranteed.

Thanks,
Hunter Claus

ps
tried for this not to be a commercial. thse things really happened this weekend on the hunt. so you are getting them first hand, hot off the press.

will have a story of the hunt soon, got some catching up to do.
:wavin-yellow:

Tominator

Reaction score
I bought a new scent eliminator from wal-mart last year that was awesome. I think it was called OdoRid, but not sure. Supposedly it's the same formula as the gel that coroners put in their nose when they do autopsies. Spray some of the stuff into a fermented spit cup in the summer and you can use it another week without it stinking!
Tominator

FTTPOW

Reaction score
Hey Tominator, is it OK if I try it out on something a little less repulsive? How about week old road kill in mid summer? LOL!

Tominator

Reaction score
Repulsive!?! what would you find more repulsive, the spit cup i described or for me to my Gamecocks avatar back up? hehehe, J/K bud, at least we got rid of cooper for ya.
Tominator

Drayton

Reaction score
I tried the comercial scent killer and they work but the home brew works better because you can use all you want.

Ingredients for Homemade Scent Killer:
16 oz. (2 cups) Peroxide 3%
16 oz. (2 cups) Distilled Water
1/4 cup baking soda
1 oz. unscented soap (I use sport wash by Sno-Seal)
Mix in a large bowl (don't shake up in milk jug) so the baking soda dissolves)and pour into jug.
Let sit for a few days and don't leave in a tightly sealed container! I use a gallon milk jug with a snap on cap. If you do put it in a jug with a screw cap, loosen it because I almost had a jug burst.

Make as much as you need and put it into a spray bottle for easy use in the field.

This formula worked to de-scent my pickup truck seat after a stray cat "sprayed" it.

Enjoy:smile-yellow:

Tominator

Reaction score
<font face=arial size=1><blockquote><hr noshade size=1>
This formula worked to de-scent my pickup truck seat after a stray cat "sprayed" it.
<hr noshade size=1></blockquote></font>
Now that's repulsive!
Tominator

Drayton

Reaction score
:kitty: Repu;sive was having to drive home after the #@%*! cat messed up my truck!

This cat was one of a dozen or so stray cats that hang out at friends house because his wife keeps putting food out for them. I like to bring my pitt-lab over for cat chasing every now and then. :laffin-yellow:

buckfever7

Reaction score
I shower in the HS "green soap"  
Keep my rubber boots in a seprate container,  and periodically wash with baking soda.
Keep my camo in scent free container.
Use Scent Loc.
Use Vanishing Hunter by Buckfever Synthetics,  clear human scent eliminator spray.

marmot

Reaction score
<font face=arial size=1><blockquote><hr noshade size=1>Quote: from RLB on 12:58 pm on May 16, 2002
For me, I wash with Ivory soap, then use an anti-bacterial lotion like neosporin on the places that the sun dosent shine to control odor. It works pretty good. At least I cant smell myself! I also put baking soda in my boots. I have heard about clorophil tablets and other stuff. Yall tell me what yall use/do to control your odor.
<hr noshade size=1></blockquote></font>

Unreal man! Ivory soap smells just like perfume to me. All I use is onion. Wild ones (actually wild garlic) are best but the little yellow onions that come in a net like sack work to. I throw two on the ground stomp on them a bit to get the smell on my boots, then pick them up and put one in each pocket.

This is the only thing I know of that can actually hide human odor.

woodsman

Reaction score
onion!!  Thats a first . If it works keep useing it .
I use sport wash with UV killer, Walmart sells the stuff $2-$3 at the end of the season
some times .50cents for the small 8oz size.
Lets say I'm all set for the next 10 years ,If it lasts that long.

whitetailfan

Reaction score
I usually use fresh leaves and green twigs taken from the area that I'll be hunting. Store these in a SEALED plastic bag for a week or so with my CLEAN (I use the same stuff that woodsman uses for laundry) hunting clothes. A new trick that I read about I'll be trying this year is to take a little dirt from a fresh scrape located in the area that you'll be hunting and put it in the bag with your clothes, leaves and green twigs. Sounds like it will work!!!

marmot

Reaction score
I also use Paw Paws when I can find them.

People just seam to overlook the obvious when it comes to cover scent. Think about it, a cover scent should be something natural to the area and with strong enough odor to cover human smell.

Cedar, wild onion, paw paw, come on now, I bet you can think of some good ones...cow pies work in farm country but we have to draw the line somewhere.

Also, with the nose that deer have, you have to know they would be suspicious of the commercial clones of cedar and dirt, let alone the chemical concoctions that are on the market.

Uncle Buck

Reaction score
I have found that one of the best ways to mask my scent is to collect native materials from the area I hunt and do 2 things. First, I make a mix of them and boil it. strain the water and mix with a little baking soda. Put it in a spray bottle and you have a home brew scent killer.

I also keep some of the mateial is a sealed container and keep my hunting cloths and as much equipment that will fit in with it until I am going into the field.

killinturks

Reaction score
i drink gin during hunting season. that way when i flatulate it smells like pine needles and there is pines everywhere i hunt. the perfect coverscent

Top Bottom