What does your Handle Mean?

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I saw this Topic on the Missouri Conservation Forum and thought I'd ask it here, just for fun

Years ago during the CB Craze I finally got one and found out you need handles.....

TINHORN seemed to be the perfect handle for me;  it means GreenHorn or a Newbie, it also means something Cheap (made out of Tin or pot-metal) and a Horn is sometimes known as a speaker or telephone.....

My CB was a cheapie and I was a Newbie......

Other names I was called on the CB was TinCan and TinEye altho I don't know why. I was also called "Cat" in HS because of my IN-EPness in basketball

(I always thought Spectrl17 was something about a Band or Freq in Radio (Spectrum) but now know its not)

This probably should have been posted in Campfire but I'm not sure how much you guys frequent that place.

Tinhorn

robNhood

Reaction score
My great interest in the sport of archery and bowhunting led me to the name of another archer, "Robinhood".

I just shortened it up a bit.

During my free time you can usually find me in the yard, shooting my bow. At my farm in Ralls Co. Missouri, hunting or just relaxing. Or in my season ticket seats at a Rams Football game.

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Well this is simple,

i have been a gunsmith now for going on 20 years and the handle Gun Docc just seemed to match being a gun doctor  so to speak, used to fix all kinds of broken and abused guns but nowadays i mainly do custom work.

picked this handle up years ago when a guy came in the shop one day with a broken shotgun and said ''here fix this docc , you are the gun doctor right'' so it kinda stuck from then on....lol

Later,

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
Well, mine is simple enough.  It is at tribute to two of my favorite hunting buddies, my two Rat Terriers, "Jagger" and "Max".  

wvhunter

Reaction score
Mine is very simple.  I love to hunt and was born, raised and still live in the great state of West Virginia.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Threw ya a curve Tinhorn. The stories behind the nicknames are fun to learn.

When I was in the USAF I grew fond of the Lockheed AC-130 Spectre gunships. The Ghostriders, as they are called, were the angels on our wings.

Here's a pic of a Spectre gunship hosing down some bad guys on a little island know as Grenada.

17 is the number on my ice hockey jersey I've worn since juniors. And yes, I have a mouthful of plastic teeth. Comes in handy when you want to shut up a screaming child. Just pop them suckers out and instant quiet. KID TIP: For real fun, switch your grandpa's and grandma's dentures on their nightstands. Deny everything the next morning.

horndog

Reaction score
Lift your legs....need I say anymore?

(nickname from the guys at work)

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Arrowhead - from the latin term finder of pointy stones....

While on a spring turkey hunt in the South Carolina Low country, we came accross a guy that was trespassing but he was looking for arrowheads. My friend informed him that he wasn't supposed to be there and he left.

I immeadtialy took over the search for arrowheads. Spent the next three days looking down more than looking out for turkey's.

Since we all had radio's I was given the handle Arrowhead.

Oh yeah, I found 6 decent arrowhead's on that hunt and a bunch of piece's. I still have them.

Possum

Reaction score
I went to Clemson University with a bunch of wild guys.  One night at a party someone said I was grinning like a opossum.  The name kind of stuck.  I then named my turkey calls Possum Fork Turkey Calls after a branch of woods at our farm and that kind of reinforced the handle.:D  
If anyone knows where a smiling possum pic can be found, please let me know.

goatman

Reaction score
Because I raise fainting goats. They're not hard to catch.

Welby

Reaction score
My boss and coworkers started calling me Welby after some TV show that was on before my time, "Marcus Welby, MD".  (Yeah, my name is Mark.)

Anyway, the name kinda stuck.  But, it's frustrating because usually at other forums or places where a username is required, the name Welby is almost always taken.

Brotherwolf

Reaction score
This is fun! Awesome picture Jesse!!
I have a fascination with wolves and they are hunters like us. They are our brothers

Eagle Eye

Reaction score
When I was just a kid my uncle would take me squirrel and rabbit hunting with him. We would walk up to a brushpile and he would look it over carefully, sometimes he would spot a rabbit sitting in there and try to point it out to me. He would tell me to look for a shiny black dot , which would be the rabbits eye. After a while I got good at this and also seeing squirrels hiding in trees.
  Later on the people I hunted with would say I had the eyes of an eagle because I would usually be the first to spot game when we were hunting. So I got nicknamed Eagle Eye.

wapiti

Reaction score
Wapiti.... Native American for "white rump"......it does fit, however, my wife and I went bowhunting elk for our honeymoon and elk have been my second passion ever since!

I also have been involved with the KY elk restoration project and co-chair of the local RMEF chapter.   Here is a link to our site that has some pics of KY elk.  I do need to update the site though.  Enjoy!

http://hometown.aol.com/bgrmef/myhomepage/profile.html

(Edited by wapiti at 6:19 am on Sep. 6, 2001)

Stickbow

Reaction score
In a high-tech world with all my hunting companions shooting the latest in Modern "Techno-Wonder" Bows......I'm still fascinated with the Tradition, beauty, and simple efficiency of my recurves and longbows.

Sure, I can't shoot 1" 5 shot groups at 50 yards, but I never saw a deer that required such killing! And in most cases, my bucks are "bigger" in the eyes of most people who see them (once they know what kind of equipment I use) regardless of whether they are that big or not!  8^ )

"It's not about how far you can shoot....but how CLOSE you can get!!"  (Please feel free to quote me on that, anytime!)

I'm not "anti-compound" and have shot many of them, BUT.... Does anybody really NEED a mechanical release, peep sight, Fiber optic sight, laser rangefinder and 300 f.p.s. to hit a 200 lb. whitetail buck in a 12" kill zone at 15 yards???!!!

Hmmmmmmmmmm............

jayber

Reaction score
Don't ask me why, but my mom nicknamed me Jay shortly after I was born.  Well, as you can imagine, I was called many different versions growing up.  Some of my buddies transformed 'jaybird' into 'jayber' one day during basketball practice......and it stuck.

quackmaster

Reaction score
My duck calling ability has often been the source of a good snicker among some of my friends while in the flooded timber of Arkansas. Often it has been too loud for the situation. So one day after a good snicker, one guy said "Hey quackmaster, can you bring those ducks down from 20,000 ft?" So now I use the name here and on ebay.

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
I guess I am with Matt.   I am dull too.  I was called catfish for a long time when I was younger because I used to sell them for extra money to buy bows, arrows, and such but I didn't think of that until reading all of your interesting stories.  Oh well.

Brian

Advertisement

Top Bottom