What food should I get for my new puppy?

83blazer

Reaction score
I will be getting an 8 week old lab puppy on Thursday and I am preparing for her arrival. I did a search and found that most people here feed Eukanuba.

Looking for suggestions on which brand and type to use. I went to Costco today and looked at what they had available. The Kirkland brand did not seem bad. What do you guys think? Looking for suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help.

Here are the ingrediants, what I noticed is there is no wheat or corn. I read the the egg product is one of the best protiens for dogs(not sure if its true). There are lots of veggies. Also, the 40lb bag is $22. What do you guys think?

"Lamb, Lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, rice flour, white rice, egg product, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved witn mixed tocoperols and Vitamine E), beet pulp, potatoes, fishmeal, flaxseed, natural flavor, milet, brewers dried yest, carrots, peas, choline chloride, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, taurine, vitamin E suppliment, iron proteinate, copper proteninate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteniate, manganous oxide, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bivulfite (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein 23% minimum
Crude Fat 14% minimum
Crude Fiber 4% maximum
Moisture 10% maximum
Zinc 200mg/kg minimum
Selenium 0.4 mg/kg minimum
Vitamin A 15000 IU/KG minimum
Omega-6 fatty acids 2.2% minimum
Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.4 % minimum
Glucosamine HCl not less than 300 mg/kg
Chondroitin sulfate not less than 100 mg/kg"

THE LAB GUY

Reaction score
The Kirkland brand Lamb meal and rice is a great food it is made by diamond dog food company for costco. That is a good food to feed your puppy don't feed the little puppy food it will cause the puppy to grow to fast. Being a lab breeder I never feed my puppies puppy food always adult food been doing it like this for the last 8 years. I feed Diamond Lamb meal and rice, but when I'm out I will feed the kirkland brand food from Costco. Hope this helps THE LAB GUY Also if you go to diamondpetfoods.com you can find a Diamond dealer near you they only sell at feed stores. It is about the same price

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
I have always fed my puppies Eukanuba. This is the food recomended by my vet, so that is what I feed. Not very familiar with the Kirkland brand, but it sounds like THE LAB GUY is. Best thing to do is talk to your vet, as they should be able to provide you with the best information. You will find that most will recommend Eukanuba or Iams. Why do they do that? Probably it is what is best for your puppy. As for feeding adult versus puppy food... I think I would also double check LAB GUYS thoughts with your vet. While it may not hurt your puppy, it might not be what is best for your puppy.

bobcatman04

Reaction score
Don't feed the pup too high of protein food. Just adult dog food, and regular check ups to the vet. No snacks. A dog is going to grow, as big as it's going to grow. What's important is to take your time getting there. Letting the bones grow at a natural pace, You don't want a monster dog. Don't over feed ethier. JMHO.

83blazer

Reaction score
Lab Guy, is there any difference in the Diamond version you get at feed stores and the Kirkland?

83blazer

Reaction score
Yes, I am going to feed the puppy what the owner is but want to make sure I feed it something good. I went to Costco and checked what they had and came back and did a comparison. A lot of people praise the Kirkland brand and then searched here and wasn't quite sure what everyone who posted thought about it. It's cheap but it seems like it is equal to or better than some that I have seen in regards to ingredients.

I don't necessarily want it based on the price but if it compares to the ones that are name brands and does the same then why not?

THE LAB GUY

Reaction score
83 Blazer if you want why not leave your # and I can call you and talk to you about the foods. kirkland was in the top 5 for dog foods. Not all Vets know about food. Eukanuba and Iams you are paying for the store shelf space and the name and they also have corn in there dog food and vets get a kick back for selling there food in there office I have fed both and noticed no difference in coat and drive in the field. I have been thru a lot of different dog foods and found diamond to be the best IMO. I have a show dog that is ranked #10 in the United States and he has been on Diamond for 2 years now. The Lab Guy

kphunter

Reaction score
Eukanuba. A little more expensive, but it's the best dog food out there. Breeders and vets all recommend the product.

KP

maddog58

Reaction score
you should feed a large breed puppy formula. look on the arkat website vf enhance puppy food. in my opinion arkat makes the best food hands down. they also make a holistic formula for those who are concerned with cancer in their dogs. i have 2 labs and a gsp and all are in great shape, good coats, and you will feed less with enhance. i compete in tournament hunting and i wouldnt feed anything but the best. good luck with the new pup.

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (THE LAB GUY @ Apr 14 2008, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
kirkland was in the top 5 for dog foods.[/b]
So what are the other 4? I have a 5 month pup, and I'm looking for something new.

crodog

Reaction score
My dog likes Pro-Plan.....I'm surprised that nobody's recommending it.....

Cro.

THE LAB GUY

Reaction score
Cause Pro-Plan has corn in it. And also IMO I'm not inpressed with that food.

Dave in LB

Reaction score
I've been using Zen Puppy. It's a bit expensive but all the ingredients are food grade and it uses little to no white rice/corn etc. It's been good for the dogs energy too. Having said that Larry Lowell has been training my dog for the last couple of months and he's feeding anothe brand.. I think it's the high end Purina line but I don't remember.

fishnhunt

Reaction score
I started off feeding my pup purina but it gave him horrible runs.....And then our local ranch store had Iams for $20 a bag so I bought four and all his problems went away. The problem is they haven't had it on sale again for several months and I don't want to afford $30 a bag....Next time I head to the city I might pick up a bunch of the cosco stuff and give that a try.

83blazer

Reaction score
fishnhunt,
I talked to Scott he is the LABGUY on here and he had tons of knowledge on the dogfood. I took his advice and compared ingredients from both the Diamond version and the Kirkland and they were the same. I bought a 40lb bag for $19. I also bought a bag of Iams just to keep the dog on it for a while. This weekend I will switch little by little. I will let you know how it goes.

gundogs

Reaction score
I fed Nutra Nuggets Lamb and Rice for many years which was an independent mfg. and now part of Diamond Pet foods. I changed foods when they too were finally effected by the cross contamination in the additive of wheat gluten by melanine. I changed to Pro-Pac Lamb and Rice which contains no corn or wheat products most importantly no wheat gluten and is made in the USA with out import additives. I am a breeder and compete in tournament hunting so only the best for my dogs.I get Pro- Pac from a feed store.
Both the Kirkland and Nutra Nuggets are Diamond products and are good products available at Costco. Any Lamb and Rice formula can be fed at all life stages from puppy to senior , is easy to digest and contains a good amount of protien and crude fat. I do however supplement the food for competition dogs with vitamins and joint max. Instant mashed potatoes and scrambled eggs along with the dry food during travel sessions and before competitions. Do not feed three hours before heavy exercise to avoid bloat.

crodog

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Cause Pro-Plan has corn in it[/b]
So it has corn in it. I hear that's fine unless your dog has allergies to corn.
Alot of premium dog foods have corn in the ingredients.

I'll have to do some research on the matter.....

Take care;
Cro.

Top Bottom