What gun should I buy to hunt yotas?

kfen

Reaction score
I have been reading up on yota hunting. I am a member of a hunting club in arkansas and we have way too many yotas. We here them howling all hours of the night. I have not varmint hunted since High school about 20 years a go. When there was a market for fox, coons and bobcats. I am excited about hunting in the off season. Any way to yhe point. What rifle should I buy? I am interested in the .17 cal. What about the remington model 700 bdl Or would my money be better spent on somthing else or a custom made.

kfen

Reaction score
Songbird What is a Mach IV and how to I go about getting some info on it?

(Edited by kfen at 12:20 am on Nov. 29, 2001)

songdog

Reaction score
kfen,

A .17 Mach IV is a .221 Fireball case necked down to .17 caliber and slightly blown out.  Any of the books you'll read will tell you that it's the perfect case capacity for the .17 caliber bore.  I'd have to agree.  The .17 Rem is nice but there's more case capacity than can realistically be used.  Which means higher pressures, higher temp, shorter barrel life, etc.  I can get pretty much the same velocity (within 100 fps) with a Mach IV that I can get in a .17 Rem.  It's also a lot quieter, more pleasant to shoot, etc.

The brass is easy to make if you've done any kind of reloading (just run it through a neck sizing die).  You can't get factory rounds like you can with  .17 Rem, with the exception of Cooper Arms which makes their Varmint Extreme ammo available comercially (this is the stuff they hand load in the factory and shoot 1/4 MOA before they let any of their guns out the door).

On that note, if I were to go buy a new .17 Mach IV I wouldn't look ay further than Cooper.  I just can't see how you can get a better value and better accuracy that one of their rifles.

If you already have a Contender/Encore frame you might want to check with Bullberry.  They make a number of barrels in Mach IV.  I think that Varmint Al has one and can probably give you some first hand reports there.

I have a TCR in .17 Mach IV and love it.  The recoil is less than my .22 Hornet (it's a heavier gun though).  You can see hits on little critters through the scope.  It never comes up off the bags at all.

Now, all that being said, if you're looking for a coyote gun, and you're back east where they get a lot bigger than they do here in the West, and the brush is a lot thicker where animals that go 50 yards can be much harder to find... I'd recommend that you stay in the .22 caliber camp.  .223, .22-250, etc.  

I've killed more than a few coyotes with the .17s and it does well but I'm also typically limiting my shots to 150 yards or so and it's generally very open desert so something that goes 50-100 yards before expiring is much easier to find.  If I have to make sure that something doesn't take a step, even on a bad shot back on the haunches or some other undesirable spot, I'll use a .243.  While I'm a huge proponent of propper bullet placement, a .243 is a much more forgiving round than a .17 when it comes to "not so perfect" bullet placement.

If you really have your heart set on a .17 though, I'd give the Mach IV the nod.  You'll love it.

limit7

Reaction score
good night.....songdog.   do you know anthing about fishing poles.  I think you should be in the gun business.

songdog

Reaction score
Sometimes I wish I was :wink-yellow:.  If I could figure out how to support the wife and three kids that way I would.

I know a little bit about fly rods and how to remove hooks from my ear but...

Top Bottom