What Has Your Camera Taught You About The Place You Hunt?

Welby

Reaction score
Ok, I want to hear some stories.  How many of you have gotten more than just great pictures from your camera?  In other words, have you learned things that maybe you didn't know before because of the trail camera?  Get any pictures of any animals that you didn't know existed in your area? Found out that animals actually do what when they think they aren't being watched?

This should be interesting.

Personally, I learned there are a lot more varmints such as coyotes, foxes and bobcats than I originally thought in my area.  And big ones too.  I also learned that deer are more prone to walking just off to one side of an open trail rather than directly down the middle of it, such as humans walk.  And I also learned that we have way more stray dogs than I thought.  And that there are two eight points out there, the likes of which I never saw in person during my whole time afield this season.  They will surely be there next year too.

Your turn...

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
Hmm,  been thinking about this for the past couple weeks.  I took pics of a couple big bucks before archery season started but never saw them during the season.  After rifle and archery season was over I showed the pics to some locals who hunt surrounding properties and they never saw those bucks either.  

So.. my hypothesis is... these dang deer are smart!!!
I didn't have the camera out during the hunting season so who knows what happened to them.  One thing I have been thinking about is maybe the flash spooked them and they left for good.  Who knows....
I'm working on putting a daylight sensor on my cameras just to cover myself for next season anyhow.

ToddP

woodseye

Reaction score
Wow,good question. I learned on two big bucks that after I got their pics they moved to a different trail out of their bedding area. When we found it and got them again they moved again. Never left area but adjusted to our cams quickly. I've also found that deer sometimes move almost exclusively one way on a trail while both ways on another. In the snow I've found a lot of the larger tracks go around my cams probably due to scent. I placed a cam in a heavily used bedding area after season and after a flurry of pics(11) in a couple days,the deer continued to use the area but stayed about 50 feet from cam. The pics were all different deer so I guess once they were educated they simply avoided. tracks in the snow really clue you in on how the deer are reacting to your cam. here in Maine spotlighting is legal until Sept. and we found that one big non-typical and several 160 inch+ bucks were in areas but we could not get them on film. I gotta stop....but as you can see I've learned lots from my cams,all that convinces me more than ever WE PURSUE A WARY critter these big bucks!

woods

Dbworld

Reaction score
I placed my first cam for the first time in a friends back 40.  These deer are not heavily hunted.  I went through a roll of film in about and hour.  My latest pics taken on State Land where I am allowed to hunt. I notice I get a pic then nothing for several minutes to hours.  Last batch took several days to use up a roll.  Before I was at about 2 days.  Of course throwing down a little corn and apples doesn't hurt.

I;ve learned these state owned deer are quite a bit more wary.  I may have to look into a daylight only sensor also.

d91

Reaction score
1. There really arn't that many deer on my section of the club.

2. I really do suck at hunting.

3. I really do love to have any reason to walk in the woods- even checking batteries.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Nocturnal, Nocturnal, Nocturnal !

One place I used a movement cam on for several years took probably 30% daytime pix's (of mostly Does) but when the Missouri Conservation bought land next to it, I bet the pix's of deer dropped to over 90% "Nite"-Time Pix's.

It is so easy to make them Nocturnal ! ! !

Did I say Nocturnal, Nocturnal, Nocturnal !

Tinhorn

Stever

Reaction score
I learned:
1) soldering isnt that hard.
2) We have 2 completely seperate sets of deer and I now know their borders
3) coyotees are very very shy
4) no sense hunting where I have hunted for 5 years cause you are not allowed to hunt at night.
5) I think I am learning up trail where to hunt daytime!
6) There is a sanctuary in this world where greed seems to be nonexistant and helping each other is a priority and that is JHP!
Thanks cause without you the above would not be true!

StringShooter

Reaction score
I have to agree with Tinhorn. The bucks seem so nocturnal. I have only gotten 2 pics of bucks when there has been some light.

Tons of does at all times during the day but few bucks, which were only moving during the dark times.

jayber

Reaction score
The main thing that I've noticed is that there A LOT of different deer that come through one particular area over a short period of time.......far more than I'd ever see bowhunting and/or gun hunting in the fall/winter.......and yes, an abundance of nite pics!

Welby

Reaction score
Tinhorn reminded me of some other things that I have learned from my camera.

Yes, most of my pictures were night pictures as well.  As a matter of fact, nearly all of the buck pictures were taken late at night.  So, I guess my bucks are mostly nocturnal too.

Another thing I learned from the daytime pictures that were taken is that most of the deer seem to favor feeding at midday or in the afternoon at times I typically don't hunt.  I guess that's why I don't see as many deer as I should.

I generally hunt from dark of morning to usually about 9:30am or 10:00am.  In the afternoons, I am on the stand from about 3:00pm until dark.  Many of my day pictures were taken between those times, which is generally the time of day at which I am hard at work on the "honey-do list".  I usually don't enjoy hunting at those times anyway.

But, none of the deer I have seen in the pictures taken at those times were deer I would have shot anyway.

quackmaster

Reaction score
I need to hunt after midnight a little more often.
:smile-big-blue:
Just fire when the flash goes off
Just kidding! I would never do that.
Camera has taught me that there are more bucks roaming  around my area than I thought there were.

Applbit

Reaction score
well ive only went through 2 rolls of film and ive already learned something, and that is to watch my back. There is a mountain lion living there.
and that there are some beautiful sunsets there too!:smile-blue

Possum

Reaction score
I learned what I always feared.  The deer are in the cornfields but only get to the travel corridors after dark.  Also, that some of the best paths are within sight of heavily traveled roads.  By the way, the study by the bioligists proved correct.  The camera will capture almost every deer on your land if put out near a good food source.  I saw about every buck that I had a pic of except for the ones taken in July to early August.

gtk

Reaction score
1.  Big Bucks are nocturnal.
2.  When Big Bucks aren't nocturnal, I wasn't hunting and someone else was.
3.  I have more trespassers than I initially thought.
4.  I have more does than I ever thought.
5.  These cameras make me sick by letting me know there are BIG deer around that I never see when hunting.
6.  Let someone find out you know how to make  these cameras, and, boom, there your best old friend.
7.  I need to hunt more in the middle of the day.
8.  Last and most important:  Never grab a hot soldering gun on the wrong end.  It will make a lasting impression, litteraly and physically.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Applbit,

I am waiting for that Panther Pix ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Tinhorn

Latest Posts

Top Bottom